Theories Discussion > General Discussion

Could the Lynx be the tent?

(1/3) > >>

cz:
Hi,

Looking at the photos attributed to Zolotarev's camera, which was still around his neck when he
was found dead in the ravine, it occurred to me that what I saw reminded me of a tent.
These photos were studied by Yakimenko, who was reminded of a Lynx instead.

I attached a figure with the possible outline of the tent indicated (solid lines correspond to
visible and dashed lines to invisible sections of the tent). The dimensions of the tent
are realistic. It would be seen at an angle of roughly 50 degrees where zero degrees means facing
the tent from the side (like on the investigation photo from Ivdel). Normally, when one adds
such indications, figures become much more suggestive. To me, this is not the case here. I find
the original more suggestive.

While I found some kind of a scale for many other pictures, I could not find a specific
explanation as to the scale of this one. It could be a tiny fraction of the image, which
would render the tent hypothesis weak. Also, there must have been some kind of illumination
(from inside or outside) to make this plausible.

While this image is certainly vague and could show many things, I find it plausible that Zolotarev
would have tried to capture any extraordinary event related to the tent on film. This would mean
that he was outside and possibly also that the tent was not the actual target of this shot.

At any rate, what do you think?

cz

CalzagheChick:
I think that of the damaged film there's only one photo (the three head tops against bright background) that can safely be considered. Everything else looks like emulsion build up, exposure, and water damage to me. I'm just not comfortable putting any stock in tiny specks of film frames and calling it evidence of any single one of the many theories.

That being said, I'm always open. I will say that I do not see a tent. But I also don't see a lynx or a higher formed demon or an alien or a yeti either. Anything here is possible.

Kudos to your determination and attention to details!

Loose}{Cannon:
Could be anything I guess.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Zolotarev 'pics' are actually negatives..... and a blown up fraction of a frame. 

What do you see now? 

cz:
Hi,

great to hear your opinions!

@CalzagheChick: Yes, one should be cautious in interpreting these images as evidence for any particular hypothesis. Water damage has certainly to be considered, which brings me to a somewhat related question: Was the creek frozen in February when they died? Certainly, it was not when they were found in May, but I am not sure about real winter.

At any rate, I am not convinced that it is impossible that these images can tell us something. Not sure what exactly though. As far as I know, the "three heads" shot is the last from Krivo's camera, which was found in the tent. Not sure what to make of this either.

@Loose}{Cannon: Sure these images are negatives to start with. As so often, it seems hard to find definitive statements. I tried to look at Yakimenko's paper. Based on the way he shows the "three heads" shot (dark heads against bright background), I tend to believe that he shows positives. I think he mentions negatives (I know essentially zero Russian unfortunately) and of course he is aware of the difference. So, I assume it is supposed to be positives, but I may be wrong. This image (Lynx 2) must be about the only one for which he does not specify
a scale. What he says is that it reminds him of the (first) Lynx (photo 3a), for which he specifies 120 units,
i.e., about a tenth of the image. Lacking more detailed comments, I assume his general impression of similarity extends to size, which would then be about the same.

Even when you invert it, I continue to see a tent, but it is difficult to view this impartially once you have started seeing something. Even trying hard, I cannot see a Lynx (after looking at a good number of them). I am aware that the easiest person to fool is oneself, so it is good to get some independent feedback.

cz

Loose}{Cannon:
To me.....    its looks like 3 to 4 people about 100m out in a ravine or on a slight ledge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version