Theories Discussion > General Discussion

Why did they turn back the day before?

<< < (3/4) > >>

GlennM:
Charles,

We’re exhausted, but start setting up for the night. Firewood is scarce, mostly damp firs. We build the campfire on the logs, too tired to dig a fire pit. Dinner’s in the tent. Nice and warm. Can’t imagine such comfort on the ridge, with howling wind outside, hundreds of kilometers away from human settlements."

I interpret this passage as meaning that because of exhaustion the team would forgo the slog through the woods and cold camp on the ridge to salvage the hike. The Can't imagine reference, suggests that yes, we are going there and yes, it will be harsh. Taking the high ground is more energy efficient for the hikers because they won't plow snow like in the valley. They complain of wet wood and thus can't do a fire at 880 on the last day. Once the tent was pitched, anybody making a 2 mile round trip for, wood would be folly. Igor D could read a compass so diverting to 880 was not an accident as was the pitching of the tent there. Hunger, cold and the prospect of not achieving grade 3 might indeed cause division in the group.  Having a hissy fit,,leaving the tent and walking down to the trees is one way to prove a point,,especially if followed. From the evidence of the three sets of hikers, the trail, tree and ravine. I would argue they all kept their wits until their bodies quit on them.

Charles:
nothing here

Manti:

--- Quote from: GlennM on February 17, 2022, 03:44:09 PM ---Charles,

We’re exhausted, but start setting up for the night. Firewood is scarce, mostly damp firs. We build the campfire on the logs, too tired to dig a fire pit. Dinner’s in the tent. Nice and warm. Can’t imagine such comfort on the ridge, with howling wind outside, hundreds of kilometers away from human settlements."

I interpret this passage as meaning that because of exhaustion the team would forgo the slog through the woods and cold camp on the ridge to salvage the bike. The Can't imagine reference, suggests that yes, we are going there and yes, it will be harsh. Taking the high ground is more energy efficient for the hikers because they won't plow snow like in the valley. They complain of wet wood and thus can't do a fire at 880 on the last day. Once the tent was pitched, anybody making a 2 mile round trip for, wood would be folly. Igor D could read a compass so diverting to 880 was not an accident as was the pitching of the tent there. Hunger, cold and the prospect of not achieving grade 3 might indeed cause division in the group.  Having a hussy fit,,leaving the tent and walking down to the trees is one way to prove a point,,especially if followed. From the evidence of the three sets of hikers, the trail, tree and ravine. I would argue they all kept their waits until their bodies quit on them.

--- End quote ---
By 880, do you mean the pass?

They camped along the Auspiya in the valley somewhere, then they ascended to the pass (780m) but descended again to the valley and camped there on their penultimate day (650m), set up the cache. Then next day they ascended again and camped on Kholat, at an elevation of about 900m.

Otorten is 1230m high. Following the Lozva means potentially descending to 450m. Following the ridge still means descending to 790m. (Basing these numbers on contemporary CyclOSM map data).

So I argue that they would have to lose some of the elevation they gained anyway. Plus, there is a problem with continuing above the treeline: there wasn't enough snow to ski on the ridge, and there are rock ridges in other places closer to the treeline:

Images from https://dyatlovpass.com/search-photos

GlennM:
Hi Manti,
My 880 is your 900. As II look at the photos you provide( thanks), it tells me that trekking on foot, like the person in the photo may not be as fast as skis on good snow, but it makes for steady progress. It would be like this, " ski when you can, walk when you must." They had lost a day previously, so making progress would be important. Perhaps the planned route would be more interesting, but a compass and line of sight would help make up lost time. Of course, they never got the chance to make it up. It seems to me that the hikers went to the pass and returned to cache their supplies in a relatively hurried fashion. I think they were resolved to make a dash for their goal instead of a slog through waist deep,snow. They got caught out by adverse weather.

Игорь Б.:

--- Quote from: Charles on February 17, 2022, 04:34:17 PM ---do skiers with heavy backpacks ever use compass to trace a direct route through snowy mountains?

--- End quote ---
Да, когда видимость в метель составляет 30-50 метров остаётся идти только по компасу.

При хорошей видимости они пошли бы так, как сейчас все ходят на Отортен:
http://1723.ru/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=5133&view=findpost&p=72385

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version