Theories Discussion > Avalanche

You want avalanches? Here we go

<< < (2/8) > >>

sarapuk:

--- Quote from: Dominov on February 06, 2019, 10:31:10 AM ---
--- Quote from: Star man on February 06, 2019, 08:52:15 AM ---Good analysis. My skill with google earth is not that good.

So 0.1% is actually more than I was thinking the risk was. So is it possible that there was a snow slide in the area indicated and the Dyatlov group heard it and thought the avalanche was coming their way and therefore fled?

--- End quote ---

Look, I learned skiing in the Swiss Mountains at the age of six. Although the Dead Mountain has very few steeper parts we would call it a hill for idiots (beginners). The slope of the Dead Mountain is not a killer, nor is it a place where avalanches typically occur, although I found traces of snow slides on the eastern slope. But well... that depends. Weather, season, sun, quality of snow, inclination, wind, temperature, orientation toward the sun are some of the factors.  Snow slides are possible there, but unlikely, especially on the north-eastern side. But... The sound of an explosion can cause snow slabs/planks/slides. That's how we trigger them here artificially in order to minimize the risk for our appreciated tourists. In the morning in the Alps you often hear explosion bangs. Sounds scary.

Would we hear a snow slide in the extreme winter conditions of 1959? I doubt it. No, we wouldn't.

Regards

Dominov

--- End quote ---

I believe that the Authorities mentioned Amateur Investigators as one of the reasons for re opening the Case. Yes and if I was them I would call upon some of those Amateur Investigators to assist them. Lets hope this new investigation is not going to be some kind of white wash [ no pun intended ]. I never for one minute thought that an AVALANCHE of any kind caused the EVENT. Your brief analysis just adds more weight to it not being any kind of an AVALANCHE.

Marchesk:

--- Quote from: Star man on February 06, 2019, 08:52:15 AM ---So is it possible that there was a snow slide in the area indicated and the Dyatlov group heard it and thought the avalanche was coming their way and therefore fled?
--- End quote ---

It doesn't make sense for them to go downhill to escape the threat of an avalanche. Instead, they could run a 100 meters to the side opposite of where they think the avalanche is about to hit. And then they could return to try and dig out the tent, or find out otherwise.

Even with a snow-slide, you have 18 hands and an ice axe to dig out the tent. Makes more sense than trying to survive in the woods a mile below.

Loose}{Cannon:
People act unexpectedly when the earth starts shaking and the sound of a freight train bears down on them at o'dark 30?

sarapuk:

--- Quote from: Marchesk on February 06, 2019, 02:07:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: Star man on February 06, 2019, 08:52:15 AM ---So is it possible that there was a snow slide in the area indicated and the Dyatlov group heard it and thought the avalanche was coming their way and therefore fled?
--- End quote ---

It doesn't make sense for them to go downhill to escape the threat of an avalanche. Instead, they could run a 100 meters to the side opposite of where they think the avalanche is about to hit. And then they could return to try and dig out the tent, or find out otherwise.

Even with a snow-slide, you have 18 hands and an ice axe to dig out the tent. Makes more sense than trying to survive in the woods a mile below.

--- End quote ---

After the initial shock of any alleged avalanche it wouldnt take them long to recover their composure. There would be no need to walk a mile without adequate protection from the extreme weather conditions.

Star man:
The one thing that always sticks in mind with this type theory is Semyon’s camera.

I don’t very much he would have taken his camera outside to take a picture of an avalanche coming his way?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version