April 19, 2024, 03:52:06 PM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
General Discussion / Re: Survival programs as a resource.
« Last post by WinterLeia on April 08, 2024, 06:14:51 PM »
Well, I was only out there for about five or six minutes. If I had been walking around in the snow for as long as the Dyatlov group likely was, I probably wouldn’t have feet anymore.
« Last post by Ziljoe on April 08, 2024, 05:47:07 PM »
I can't say I disagree WinterLeia but it seems that wearing socks ,in snow does  not lead to cold feet. Wetness does, maybe not instant cold feet but will compromise heat retention. The only difference between a boot/ shoe is the sole( for walking on) and the water proofness of the boot. If you pack too many socks on your feet and then put them in a boot that's too small , you will get cold feet. You stop the blood circulation and you stop the air pockets in the socks / boot. Layers must have air. The only real compromise in wearing socks is what you place your feet on.
« Last post by WinterLeia on April 08, 2024, 05:26:49 PM »
I have spent most of my life barefoot. I hate shoes. And I can tell you right now that places of human habitation have far more things in them that can tear up your feet than walking out in the wilderness. Yet, only two or three times have I ever injured myself, and it was a nail and broken glass that did it. I also scraped my hands really badly one time because I was walking out in the snow without shoes on, me being an idiot who had lived in places with plenty of sunshine all my life and thinking it would be okay because I hadn’t even left the yard of the cabin we were staying at. But I couldn’t feel my toes anymore, which you wouldn’t think would affect anyone’s balance, but it did for me and I fell down and had to use my hands to catch myself so as not to fall face first in the snow. I guess it was a good thing I wasn’t standing next to a ravine.
General Discussion / Re: The Last Leg
« Last post by WinterLeia on April 08, 2024, 04:51:43 PM »
This is probably a stupid idea, but considering a tree falling on the group is a going theory, I kind of wondered if Dyatlov could have been worried that in a storm a tree might snap and fall on them, maybe in conjunction with falling snow? One of the diaries did mention that at one point it was snowing without snowing because I guess it was coming from the branches. Is there any conditions that might have led Dyatlov to believe camping on the slope would be safer than camping in the forest?
General Discussion / Re: Wonder If...
« Last post by Ziljoe on April 08, 2024, 02:42:48 PM »
I think MDGross is correct to share his thoughts, MDGross has also speculated on every theory and shared good insight to pros and cons.

Without other evidence, we have little else to go on other than a natural event. Extreme weather, avalanche, ball lightning, storms , wind etc.

What must be taken in to consideration is the hikers perception at that moment in time. As for writing about a yeti. That is a humerus artical, written before whatever happened.
« Last post by Axelrod on April 08, 2024, 02:13:57 PM »
I am not going to edit my post
« Last post by GlennM on April 08, 2024, 01:59:43 PM »
You were there?  Inappropriate, dont you think? Please edit your post. Appreciated.
« Last post by Axelrod on April 08, 2024, 01:56:11 PM »
The hikers thought, and I emphasize thought, an avalanche was happening. Who wouldn’t be a bit paranoid? ....
Wonder if…
Why you are so sure? You were there? They wrote about Yeti, not about an avalanche...
General Discussion / Re: What Semyon was Holding
« Last post by Axelrod on April 08, 2024, 01:49:37 PM »
Russoin word РУКА denotes arm+hand together.
Russoin word НОГА denotes leg+foot together.

Compas may be named "vintage" but it it very similar to my own.  I rarely use it. The way is ususally clear w/o compass.
We have full flat of "vintage" objects except of TV set and some objects.
« Last post by Ziljoe on April 08, 2024, 01:27:40 PM »
In the first instance

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27400253/

This is not the ideal example but it happens. ( I'm sure I have more some where. )

Rustem injury Is not reported as a depressed fracture . That suggests that it's not a hard blow, plus there's no reported swelling. This raises questions as to what type of impact caused it. I'm not sure if it's a cranial fracture, I think this is where the skull joins when we grow. I am not an expert but this may be an explanation as well as falling and/ or receiving a blow. Rustem was reported to have ice under the body which suggests that he was alive where he fell.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10