Theories Discussion > General Discussion

Teddy's tree

(1/4) > >>

GlennM:
I viewed Teddy's video for the 2023 DPI conference. We are fortunate to have such devoted leadership. In the video there is presentation of tree ring data and the tin milk can.The research and findings are important and appreciated.

I recall in another post some mention was made of a couple of birches with tell tale cuts. But, these trees are not yet found. By all rights they should be on either side of Teddy's cedar if this cedar fell on the tent.

If a tree of this size fell on the tent, what would it take to remove the tent then press crushed gear back into shape, transport it uphill and reconstruct the camp accurately? Also, if the hikers put their skis umder the tent, some breakage would not be out of the question.

I hope the the committee will continue to support continued investigations both in the forest and on the slope.

Missi:
I'm not sure, whether those cuts would still be visible by now. I mean, it's been over 60 years since. Trees grow and their bark is healing. And the hikers would not have wanted to seriously hurt the trees.

I think, if you have a few strong men and the right equipment, it is not that difficult to lift a tree a few inches and get stuff out from underneath it. Then look through the equipment, throw away damaged stuff, keep the undamaged. We're talking about a tree trunk hitting. There's only a defined area in with damage occurs.

Manti:
Regarding skis... if the tent is set up in the forest, there is no reason to put the skis under it. They would have been next to the tent propped in the snow. So in this case the skis wouldn't be damaged, the stove would be flattened though.

GlennM:
If the camp was made in the forest,  the past practice was to cook outside the tent. The stove was a heater, only. The complaint was that it got too hot for those closest to it at bedtime. Another variable is the internal divider in the tent.,While allowing for modesty, it also affects the heat distribution in the tent.

If the tent was pitched in the forest as Teddy concluded, then investigators should be able to locate and map the fire ring, the fallen tree and birches. There should also be litter, unless packing it out was common practice. If the hikers and Mansi gravitated to the area of the cedar, there should be a location where a makeshift wooden bench was built for the call of Nature.

I would expect no firepit on the slope of 1079. I would think enough firewood could be brought to make use of the tent stove. Given that the hikers were found in various states of undress, they were going to use some way of keeping warm.

If they camped in the woods and used the stove, the tent must be scorched when it got crushed. There would be fly ash everywhere and the hikers chothes and bodies would likely smell of soot. There is no good reason not to have heat in the tent.

Manti:
Maybe this is why the tent was cut (from whichever side...). The stagers cut the part of the canvas burnt burnt by the stove...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version