March 28, 2024, 08:27:21 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: How did Semyon come to have a camera around his neck when found?  (Read 8702 times)

February 14, 2023, 12:45:47 PM
Read 8702 times

eurocentric

It's interesting to consider this, it's potentially one of the oddest DPI facts, and it doesn't even require an assessment of the photo's contained on the camera's film, which may not even have been taken during the DPI (both Rustem and Yuri K's camera films included earlier exposures, in Rustem's case of a 1958 hike, also with Igor).

Semyon's mother wrote an emotional letter to Ivanov about what she saw as a delay in returning the camera to her.
https://dyatlovpass.com/case-files-volume-2-69?rbid=19667

But why did Semyon take it with him during whatever happened? It possibly communicates that when he left he knew that he was not returning to the tent so took this valuable with him, or did he simply already have it around him when something happened?

If you apply it to some leading theories how can this be retrieved during a slab slip event when people are getting ready for bed or laid down? If a tree crashed down on him while he slept and this camera (and his lantern torch) were not around his body (in which case they'd surely be smashed) then how did restagers know to plant them on him (this long before any films were developed showing him wearing them)? If KGB or other attackers killed the hikers why did they risk leaving this camera around one of the bodies when, for all they knew, the film may contain images of his/their killers? If a wolverine sprayed everywhere to the extent not even a wood axe could be taken how was this camera and its leather case spared?
My DPI approach - logic, probability and reason.

The following users thanked this post: Ehtnisba, Royale

February 15, 2023, 05:34:11 AM
Reply #1

amashilu

Global Moderator
It's a good question, one I have been struck by also.

"... Zolotaryov and Thibeaux were better clothed and wearing some kind of footwear ... Zolotaryov took another camera, not the one found in the tent..."

The only answer I can think of is that Zolotaryov was a plant, with a special task. He had been given a special camera, to be used just for this task, and a special notebook and pencil to record the results. Probably no other members of the group knew about this, but as he and TBO instantly became BFFs, Zolotaryov confided in him. On the night of Feb. 1, Zolotaryov and TBO went outside the tent to begin the experiment. They were fully dressed. Zolotaryov set up the special camera, and had the notebook and pencil in his pocket, to record the event.

I have no evidence for this, other than the fact that they were the only hikers to be fully dressed, Zolotaryov had the camera around his neck, and a notebook and pencil in his pocket, which Ortyukov was very interested in when the bodies were found. These things are odd enough to make me do a "raw speculation" like this.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 05:55:57 AM by amashilu »

February 15, 2023, 05:39:27 AM
Reply #2

GlennM

Zolo's mother was. promised his camera after photos were produced. Both cameras? 

February 15, 2023, 11:15:26 AM
Reply #3

MDGross

As I understand it, Tibo was standing watch until the next guy's time came to relieve him. Perhaps Zolotaryov was outside to keep his friend company. Maybe something in the sky caught his attention and he rushed into the tent and grabbed his camera and then came back out to take a photo. No proof, of course, I'm just trying to make an educated guess.

February 15, 2023, 11:43:32 AM
Reply #4

Ziljoe

I would guess that they were not a sleep. There may have been more work todo, in and outside the tent. I assume there would be some kind of system where they go inside and take off ski boots change to other footwear etc and minimise snow being spread throughout the tent.

The person on watch I guess would be closest to the entrance, perhaps with there boots on, ready to brush a build up of snow from the sides of the tent. Perhaps to fit the final 2 skis so the stove could be hung and used.  Perhaps there was the intention to go fetch wood , take camera for some photos but the incident happened before these things could be achieved.

There is talk of there being a tripod for the camera and a broken lense. They may have been eating, someone else writing the evening Otorten of battle sheet and reading it out, the camera could be out of the case and being cleaned , general maintenance and administration.

I think this fits for all scenarios. Camera case has a neck strap. Most likely round his neck. Camera on his lap, or in his hands. I don't even know if it's been verified that the camera was in the case.

If a tree fell it doesn't necessarily mean it would break everything.  Plenty of space for small items. I agree that any stagers wouldn't know what was on the cameras , that's what basically rules out , outsiders for me.

The following users thanked this post: GlennM

February 15, 2023, 08:50:15 PM
Reply #5

ilahiyol

Usually, old people take off their last clothes and shoes after entering the tent. This is usually the case. Because they are slow compared to young people. They cannot move fast. And they are more cautious and careful than young people. Therefore, there is a good chance that Semyon was dressed at the time of the incident. Since Tibo is with him, there is a possibility that he is also clothed. Others may take off their clothes and be huddled together and busy eating. In this case, Semyon and Tibo may have noticed the danger first. In this case, Semyon immediately picked up his camera because he was sure he would see something interesting. Then the unknown Power slowly advanced towards the tent. The youths ripped through the tent and looked at him. And they did not have time to get dressed. Unknown Force attacked the tent!!! In this case, they all resisted. They did not want to leave the tent. They resisted a lot. But they eventually gave up. And they walked into the forest............!!!!!

February 16, 2023, 04:41:50 AM
Reply #6

amashilu

Global Moderator
I think the important part about the camera found on Zolo was that it was a different one than his "everyday" camera. According to Yuri Yudin, it was a surprise that Zolo had this second camera, brought out only at the time of the disaster, and nobody knew he had it.

Also, some say there is no proof Zolo had a notebook and pencil, but there is a photo of Ortyukov beside Zolo's body, holding the notebook he took from the corpse, after exclaiming "@#$@#$@ he didn't write anything!"

Who knows if any of this is true. I guess I tend to believe photographs more than my own speculations.

The following users thanked this post: ilahiyol, tenne

February 16, 2023, 07:16:25 AM
Reply #7

ilahiyol

I think the important part about the camera found on Zolo was that it was a different one than his "everyday" camera. According to Yuri Yudin, it was a surprise that Zolo had this second camera, brought out only at the time of the disaster, and nobody knew he had it.

Also, some say there is no proof Zolo had a notebook and pencil, but there is a photo of Ortyukov beside Zolo's body, holding the notebook he took from the corpse, after exclaiming "@#$@#$@ he didn't write anything!"

Who knows if any of this is true. I guess I tend to believe photographs more than my own speculations.
I personally don't believe much in Yudi's statements. I'm not saying he's a liar, but I think he doesn't know what he's talking about. So it's not a reliable witness. One thing he says doesn't match the other. I mean, he's not a sane person who knows what he's talking about. Yes, Semyon was a smart man. And he may have guessed that they were going to die and wanted to write something down on a piece of paper to tell us what happened. But of course, there is no conclusive evidence....I don't believe the colonel is a solid witness either. Besides, why wasn't he interviewed until the colonel died? Information on this subject could be obtained.

February 16, 2023, 10:23:34 AM
Reply #8

Manti

Isn't it simply a case of him always having the camera around his neck?

The following users thanked this post: Ziljoe

February 16, 2023, 10:59:10 AM
Reply #9

eurocentric

Not really as the only time he did so was when his body was found and in that image where they were taking photo's with each others cameras, and at times appeared to be taking charge of a camera for someone else, perhaps while that person had their photo taken, with Lyuda also photographed with a camera around her neck.

So it's by no means certain that the camera in this photo belonged to Semyon.

https://dyatlovpass.com/resources/340/gallery/Dyatlov-pass-unknown-camera-film5-16.jpg

https://dyatlovpass.com/resources/340/gallery/Dyatlov-pass-unknown-camera-film5-14.jpg

The only thing Semyon reliably carried around his neck in all the hike photo's was his lantern torch.

February 16, 2023, 10:59:31 AM
Reply #10

Ziljoe

Agree. It would suggest that he had the camera on him at the time of whatever our chosen theory is. Unlikely that any outsiders would let him carry it or let him keep his boots when others weren't allowed.

February 16, 2023, 11:10:30 AM
Reply #11

eurocentric

It's a good question, one I have been struck by also.

"... Zolotaryov and Thibeaux were better clothed and wearing some kind of footwear ... Zolotaryov took another camera, not the one found in the tent..."

The only answer I can think of is that Zolotaryov was a plant, with a special task. He had been given a special camera, to be used just for this task, and a special notebook and pencil to record the results. Probably no other members of the group knew about this, but as he and TBO instantly became BFFs, Zolotaryov confided in him. On the night of Feb. 1, Zolotaryov and TBO went outside the tent to begin the experiment. They were fully dressed. Zolotaryov set up the special camera, and had the notebook and pencil in his pocket, to record the event.

I have no evidence for this, other than the fact that they were the only hikers to be fully dressed, Zolotaryov had the camera around his neck, and a notebook and pencil in his pocket, which Ortyukov was very interested in when the bodies were found. These things are odd enough to make me do a "raw speculation" like this.

Semyon was certainly the man of mystery on this hike, this older guy with vast winter outdoor experience via his war years paying to join a hike led by the 'kid' Dyatlov. And he had burnt his bridges to do so, quitting his job, which might either suggest new mission, or murder-suicide.

I've always wondered how, as a mere civilian, he even got to hear about this hike. He worked some distance away, and unless there was a system of regional student Gazette or educational institute noticeboards advertising placements it's curious how he ever found out about it.

I'm not sure what could be meant by 'special camera' though, any camera he took along would be special in that it wasn't UPI equipment or a cheaper model belonging to a cash-strapped young student. Special as in technological would tend to mean special format film, or it had an advanced/expensive lens with a wider aperture capable of letting in more light.

February 16, 2023, 12:59:43 PM
Reply #12

Manti

He paid to join the hike? That's interesting, I haven't read about this before

February 17, 2023, 02:15:26 PM
Reply #13

RMK

Semyon was certainly the man of mystery on this hike, this older guy with vast winter outdoor experience via his war years paying to join a hike led by the 'kid' Dyatlov. And he had burnt his bridges to do so, quitting his job, which might either suggest new mission, or murder-suicide.

I've always wondered how, as a mere civilian, he even got to hear about this hike. He worked some distance away, and unless there was a system of regional student Gazette or educational institute noticeboards advertising placements it's curious how he ever found out about it.
That doesn't sound right to me.  According to his entry in the main site's Who is who, he may have been fired from his job by the start of the Dyatlov expedition.  It also sounds like he might possibly have been on 3 months' unpaid leave from his job.  Supposedly, the reason he decided to hike with Dyatlov's crew (instead of with Sogrin's, which was his original plan) was that Dyatlov's trek would be shorter, and he wanted time to visit his mother before he had to return to work.

I don't recall ever hearing/reading that Zolotaryov had paid money to join Dyatlov's trek.  I think he requested a favor from the local Party committee, and as a Party member in good standing, got it.

The Who is who says that in early 1959, Zolotaryov was living temporarily with Sogrin in the latter's Sverdlovsk apartment.  According to Rakitin, Zolotaryov first became acquainted with Dyatlov and Kolevatov at a New Year's Eve celebration in Sverdlovsk, on Dec-31-58 / Jan-1-59.

Obviously, I'm not citing a source for every assertion I make in this post.  I acknowledge that it's possible that I'm confused, or have come to believe some misinformation.  I'll try to do some fact-checking later on.

February 19, 2023, 01:08:29 AM
Reply #14

ilahiyol

He paid to join the hike? That's interesting, I haven't read about this before
He may have probably paid for the expenses of the trip. But other group members must have done it too. But I don't think he will pay money except expenses. Although Semyon was old in age, he was part of the group. Although not perfect with the group, he had a level of 70 over 100 cohesion. The reason why it wasn't 100 was because it was from a different geography and there was a 15-year age difference between the group and the group. But he was definitely part of the group. And on the last night the band was celebrating His birthday.

February 19, 2023, 02:08:55 AM
Reply #15

eurocentric

That doesn't sound right to me.  According to his entry in the main site's Who is who, he may have been fired from his job by the start of the Dyatlov expedition.  It also sounds like he might possibly have been on 3 months' unpaid leave from his job.  Supposedly, the reason he decided to hike with Dyatlov's crew (instead of with Sogrin's, which was his original plan) was that Dyatlov's trek would be shorter, and he wanted time to visit his mother before he had to return to work.

I don't recall ever hearing/reading that Zolotaryov had paid money to join Dyatlov's trek.  I think he requested a favor from the local Party committee, and as a Party member in good standing, got it.

The Who is who says that in early 1959, Zolotaryov was living temporarily with Sogrin in the latter's Sverdlovsk apartment.  According to Rakitin, Zolotaryov first became acquainted with Dyatlov and Kolevatov at a New Year's Eve celebration in Sverdlovsk, on Dec-31-58 / Jan-1-59.

Obviously, I'm not citing a source for every assertion I make in this post.  I acknowledge that it's possible that I'm confused, or have come to believe some misinformation.  I'll try to do some fact-checking later on.

The detailed theory Zolotaryov's Meltdown states that he'd been a school teacher for 4 years until he quit in the summer of 1958, because he wasn't granted leave-of-absence in the middle of the school year to go on a hike. The theory states "Semyon is looking for a job closer to Sverdlovsk and in mid-December gets a job as an instructor at the Kourovskaya tour base." , so he can only have been there a matter of weeks before he joined the Dyatlov hike after transferring. I can't imagine that his employer would be entirely happy with him going on leave so soon after he started, but maybe they were.

I tried to wade through that long unformatted entry in Who's Who, which is lifted from the book, but it mentions how Semyon having quit his school teaching job to join a hike, and then, as you have alluded, says of the skiing instructor role that "Unconfirmed reports indicate that by the beginning of the Dyatlov group hike, he had been sacked from the Kourovskaya camp site because he had had an argument with the director." When he joins the Dyatlov group he introduces himself as a skiing instructor, it gets a mention in a diary, but had he been sacked I can understand his pride seeing him pretend he was still employed.

Much of what is written in his Who's Who entry seems couched with perhaps... conceivably... unconfirmed reports suggest.., indicating the information isn't 100% reliable, even vague, and some of it contradicts itself, for example it says he left his school job in the summer of 1958 but also states he was on a school trip that summer.

I can't find where I read of Semyon paying to join the hike, but I had read somewhere on my travels that the 5 students were paid for by the UPI, the 3 post-graduates by the Union, and Semyon paid himself. This was to be his vocational qualification, not an adventure, and having quit his long-term job and (dates excepting) possibly signed up to Sogrin's hike during a period of unemployment, I think it possible he had to pay out of his own funds.

They all seemed to have to contribute something, the total costs of the hike didn't seem to match the funding being provided, and out of this would-be 10th hiker Slavic Bienko got a refund of 350 rubles.

https://dyatlovpass.com/case-files-volume-2-61?rbid=19667

The following users thanked this post: RMK

February 19, 2023, 02:15:52 AM
Reply #16

eurocentric

Back to the thread, and one theoretical explanation for why Semyon had this camera with him appears in Zolotaryov's Meltdown, where it's claimed he took a camera, and Tibo's leather hard case to soften the blow when this was used as a weapon, the lens particularly, when he was seeking to bump off 8 freezing hikers who he'd cast out from the tent after threatening them with an ice axe.

February 28, 2023, 10:14:46 AM
Reply #17

WinterLeia

The problem isn’t so much that he had the camera or that it existed as it is that he took it with him. And yet, neither he nor anyone else had time grab a flashlight. Or clothes or shoes. It’s possible he could have grabbed it to either see or take a picture of whatever phenomenon had occurred that night. If so, those negatives would be invaluable in finally laying to rest what drove the Dyatlov group from their tent. It’s just unfortunate that they’ve been so damaged.

February 28, 2023, 12:59:29 PM
Reply #18

ilahiyol

The problem isn’t so much that he had the camera or that it existed as it is that he took it with him. And yet, neither he nor anyone else had time grab a flashlight. Or clothes or shoes. It’s possible he could have grabbed it to either see or take a picture of whatever phenomenon had occurred that night. If so, those negatives would be invaluable in finally laying to rest what drove the Dyatlov group from their tent. It’s just unfortunate that they’ve been so damaged.
I think Semyon never took his camera off his neck. As far as I know, he always had a camera around his neck in photos.

February 28, 2023, 04:46:54 PM
Reply #19

WinterLeia

I think Semyon never took his camera off his neck. As far as I know, he always had a camera around his neck in photos.

All those pictures were taken when he was up and walking around. I would think it would be very uncomfortable to try to sleep with a camera around your neck, especially as bulky as the one he had. And why? Why be that guarded about it?

February 28, 2023, 05:45:23 PM
Reply #20

RMK

I can't find where I read of Semyon paying to join the hike, but I had read somewhere on my travels that the 5 students were paid for by the UPI, the 3 post-graduates by the Union, and Semyon paid himself. This was to be his vocational qualification, not an adventure, and having quit his long-term job and (dates excepting) possibly signed up to Sogrin's hike during a period of unemployment, I think it possible he had to pay out of his own funds.

They all seemed to have to contribute something, the total costs of the hike didn't seem to match the funding being provided, and out of this would-be 10th hiker Slavic Bienko got a refund of 350 rubles.

https://dyatlovpass.com/case-files-volume-2-61?rbid=19667
OK, I understand you now.  Yes, if he wasn't sponsored by the UPI sports club, he would have had to pay for his share of the trip's expenses.  I initially interpreted "paid to join [Dyatlov's trek]" as "paid a bribe to join [Dyatlov's trek]".

February 28, 2023, 08:00:00 PM
Reply #21

ilahiyol

All those pictures were taken when he was up and walking around. I would think it would be very uncomfortable to try to sleep with a camera around your neck, especially as bulky as the one he had. And why? Why be that guarded about it?
He may have taken it off while he was sleeping, but when he woke up, the camera was always hanging around his neck. So it's not very interesting in my opinion. But was he able to use the camera after the incident? That should be the real question. If he did, it's very sad that they were found two months after he died. If he had been found 3 weeks later, we would have had very different evidence of the incident. It is very strange(?)!!! There could be two reasons for this. 1. They were not found on purpose. 2. The search was unprofessional. And it was not given much importance.

March 01, 2023, 06:02:12 AM
Reply #22

WinterLeia

I wasn’t suggesting he used it after the incident. But he might have used it to try to see what was going on while it was happening, especially if he was outside of the tent, and maybe even had taken a picture of it, whatever “it” was. How well the picture would have turned out is another matter. Unfortunately, the film is water-damaged. So it’s sort of a moot point.

March 01, 2023, 08:11:33 AM
Reply #23

Manti

It should have been possible to definitively say if the film has been exposed, if photos have been taken, based on how far the film has been unwound within the camera. It's just another case of poor / non-existent forensic work.
Based on the negatives we can see today, it looks like unexposed film to me, but this is just second-guessing.

The following users thanked this post: ilahiyol

March 01, 2023, 09:01:48 AM
Reply #24

ilahiyol

It should have been possible to definitively say if the film has been exposed, if photos have been taken, based on how far the film has been unwound within the camera. It's just another case of poor / non-existent forensic work.
Based on the negatives we can see today, it looks like unexposed film to me, but this is just second-guessing.
I firmly believe that the government at that time concealed many arguments, information and evidence regarding the incident. This is very clear and precise. But the reason why he hides it does not show that they did it. However, a lot of information and evidence in the incident was hidden for just or unjust reasons. That's why we're getting nowhere with the little information we have. Semyon may have taken a photograph and thus angered the unknown force and he may have suffered serious injuries because of it! The government of that time may have hidden many photographs and articles in the diary in order not to frighten the people too much and not to cause major events. And after the event, this evidence could possibly have been destroyed. Or it may have been removed to a top secret location.

March 24, 2023, 03:29:44 PM
Reply #25

Alaya

It does indeed seem highly suspicious that Zolotaryov was found with a camera around his neck. It appears convenient and staged, just like the pen and notebook (if that part is true). Perhaps the camera contained pictures that could have incriminated Zolotaryov himself or frame someone else (that didn't belong to the DG). "Unfortunately" for the killers, the camera was water-damaged and their plan did not succeed.

March 25, 2023, 02:35:45 AM
Reply #26

Alaya

It's possible that the camera didn't belong to Zolotaryov from the start and he never used it to take any photos. Instead, the killers might have placed it around his neck.

March 25, 2023, 09:53:36 AM
Reply #27

Jean Daniel Reuss

Reply #26
It's possible that the camera didn't belong to Zolotaryov from the start and he never used it to take any photos. Instead, the killers might have placed it around his neck.

• Indeed, it is possible that the camera didn't belong to Zolotaryov from the start and that he never used it to take any photos. Instead, the killers might have placed it around his neck.

• A strong argument of the criminal versions - which assume the presence on February 2 of: outsiders, liquidators, attackers, killers or other murderers - is that all such enigmatic findings (flashlight, puttee, camera, missing tongue and eyes ...etc) are obviously easily and immediately explainable by human actions.

• Whereas the proponents of natural or technological causes get bogged down in complicated and unconvincing suppositions.
Jean Daniel Reuss

Rational guidance =

• There is nothing supernatural and mysterious about the injuries suffered by the Dyatlov group. They are all consistent with an attack by a group of professional killers who wanted to take the lives of the nine  [Per Inge Oestmoen].

• Now let us search for answers to: WHO ? WHY ? HOW ?

• The scenario must be consistent with the historical, political and psychological  contexts.

• The solution takes in consideration all known findings.

The following users thanked this post: anna_pycckux, Alaya

March 25, 2023, 01:44:45 PM
Reply #28

Alaya

Reply #26

• Indeed, it is possible that the camera didn't belong to Zolotaryov from the start and that he never used it to take any photos. Instead, the killers might have placed it around his neck.

• A strong argument of the criminal versions - which assume the presence on February 2 of: outsiders, liquidators, attackers, killers or other murderers - is that all such enigmatic findings (flashlight, puttee, camera, missing tongue and eyes ...etc) are obviously easily and immediately explainable by human actions.

• Whereas the proponents of natural or technological causes get bogged down in complicated and unconvincing suppositions.

There are too many indicators that suggest the presence of multiple individuals before, during, and/or after the incident. That is why I believe that the camera was placed around Zolotaryov's neck after his passing, especially since Yudin claimed to have never seen it. It appears that external parties attempted to complicate and confuse matters by introducing such elements.

Where was the puttee found? Was it a single item or a pair? It seems odd to misplace such an item.

April 29, 2023, 11:09:12 AM
Reply #29

eurocentric

Reply #26

My view is the camera did not belong to Semyon, it may have been Aleksanders, and while the photo's will be of helicopters they were taken prior to the DPI. Semyon's mother wanted it back for powerful sentimental reasons but would not be familiar with it.

When new to the DPI 3 years ago I thought the camera was a prop to stage Semyon and the others as idiots, tourists who left the tent at night to photograph something, got lost, fell into a ravine and died of exposure.

One thing is clear to me, assassins do not return days later to turn bodies. Rigor mortis can take 3 days in freezing conditions and some of the bodies had been moved.

To explain the numerous findings and changes to the scene I think the Mansi were there, and as confused as everyone else to this day they feared the blame so concocted an alibi. As such their presence, and the footprints down the mountain, needs to be eliminated from inquiries. If only the hiker items had been bagged and DNA sampled and not handled at the Foundation we may know if the Mansi had handled things, especially today as incredible advances in DNA have recently been made linked to large online geneology databases which has solved 40 and 50-year-old cold cases.

There was only one photo of Semyon alive with a camera around his neck, the one Mansi linked, and in that session Lyuda also has it, so they are holding cameras for each other while photo's are taken. The only other time is when his body is found.

It does seem odd to leave a tent without survival items but take a camera and I can offer no logic for that other than it was his, he stormed off with it after a dispute, or he was tinkering with it when some event happened at the tent and left that way, or if you believe they were flushed from the tent he went with it, though that is a high risk for any assassin in case he manaaged to sneak a night photo of his/their killers.