April 23, 2024, 09:40:22 PM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Has anyone gone to that area to re-create the event?  (Read 11011 times)

April 26, 2023, 12:46:43 PM
Reply #30

Ziljoe

Here is Rustems sock . It has not fallen off.
Krivonischenko socks all fell off.

How do you know if Krivonischenko socks  fell off or were taken off?  The video is about walking down the slope and if it's possible in socks. It is a simple experiment.

The following users thanked this post: Почемучка

April 26, 2023, 12:50:41 PM
Reply #31

Ziljoe

Here's a video of 26 minutes of walking in snow ,in wool socks.

April 26, 2023, 12:51:37 PM
Reply #32

Ziljoe

Whoops, here it is walking in snow , in socks.

April 27, 2023, 05:02:35 AM
Reply #33

anna_pycckux

the mystery is solved. The experiment with socks DOES NOT COUNT!!! Alekseyenkov himself admitted that he used trekking socks, which were invented in 1979, which helped him to walk smoothly on snow, on stone ridges, without injuring his legs, without frostbite. In the screenshots: the story of Alekseyenkov (Shura) about his sports equipment, about trekking socks, about the cost, about the functions of such socks. THE EXPERIMENT IS VERY SIMILAR TO AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR TREKKING SOCKS!!

April 27, 2023, 05:12:35 AM
Reply #34

anna_pycckux

Whoops, here it is walking in snow , in socks. /quote]
Everyone will be able to walk this simple path, and Natalia Varsegova, and even me.

April 27, 2023, 05:40:09 AM
Reply #35

anna_pycckux

Sorry, I'm clarifying:
DURING THE EXPERIMENT, THERE WERE 2 PAIRS OF TREKKING SOCKS ON ALEKSEYENKOV. This was reported by him. The experiment is NOT COUNTED

April 27, 2023, 06:47:12 AM
Reply #36

amashilu

Global Moderator
Yuri Yudin was troubled by the clean condition of the feet and socks of the hikers.
Link to quote below:  https://dyatlovpass.com/yudin-notes?rbid=18461

"The legs are bare, not damaged, not torn to blood (1.85 km through the snow and stones and the socks are intact!), and then so much work by the fire!"
It is obvious that Yuri Yudin wrote these lines about the deceased Doroshenko and Krivonischenko. He couldn't understand how the guys went from the tent to the cedar without shoes, without injuring their feet on sharp stones, without tearing their socks. After all, according to the official investigation, the hikers scrambled in the dark.

April 27, 2023, 07:43:19 AM
Reply #37

eurocentric

I swore I'd never post here again, not until the OTT moderation has ended...

You cannot conduct an exact replication experiment using humans or you could end up with several more deaths, and the liability of that would prevent it from happening. They tried something with students a few years ago but they were all kitted out in modern insulatative materials and simply proved they could march down the mountain at night, as if it was a piece of cake. Also in 1959, from recovery photo's 3 weeks later. the snow level was such that thousands of rocks created trip incidents downhill and some of the footprints, if left by hikers and not Mansi etc, travel through those rocks. So the experiment students had it easy.

Even today, and with medics on hand and a medivac helicopter if they pushed it too far to prove something and some students fell hypothermic out there and were rushed to hospital for slow warming (rectal probes etc) and foil blankets they could still die of vital organ failure in hospital. And we don't know if, the 1959 hikers, as fit as we assume they were but not as nourished as young Russians today, had some underlying health issues such as heart and circulation problems versus fit students assessed for this task with modern medical testing including ECG, blood pressure etc.  The extreme cold is still the extreme cold, and the human body just as frail, it only pushes the extreme due to the modern materials, tents, fuel stoves, heat pads, glo sticks, LED torches, satellite phones and medivac beacons it now has..

All that could be done is a detailed technical experiment using temperatures and wind index and calculate blood sugar levels versus assumed calorie intake and joules of energy expended on the distance travelled, and this following an ascent and perhaps all the young men digging out 2 tonnes of snow and all the dehydration from sweat. It would be a complex calculation to get right, but perhaps not impossible. A Uni thesis for someone.

I researched temperature difference between the inside and outside of a canvas tent and old skoolers who take twin thermometers say it is 10 degrees difference. The tent was draughty, not only holed but with a button flap and a windsock unplugged by a flue pipe and no operational stove.
I am not surprised they died of the cold, just as I instictively know nobody would be bothering them at 3000ft in the dead of night because nothing moves out there then, even the Snowy Owl operates by day.

They were dead the moment they left the tent unpreprepared - but introduce a single wood axe and some may have survived, a good fire, the least dressed downwind of the heat, hands, feet, vital organs and faces to the flame, snow and brush to shield their backs and kidneys and no climbing trees. There were at least 3 if not 4 wood axes and a saw. They didn't leave them in the labaz so took them with the stove.  Whatever happened I think that was key. It can't have been windy, they didn't support the tent centre and sat inside eating and they managed to start a fire, so it was low wind index but extreme cold, exhaustion, underdressing, sweated out, and low energy after all they did.
My DPI approach - logic, probability and reason.

The following users thanked this post: Manti

April 27, 2023, 08:31:37 AM
Reply #38

Ziljoe

the mystery is solved. The experiment with socks DOES NOT COUNT!!! Alekseyenkov himself admitted that he used trekking socks, which were invented in 1979, which helped him to walk smoothly on snow, on stone ridges, without injuring his legs, without frostbite. In the screenshots: the story of Alekseyenkov (Shura) about his sports equipment, about trekking socks, about the cost, about the functions of such socks. THE EXPERIMENT IS VERY SIMILAR TO AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR TREKKING SOCKS!!

Anna, could you please post links in English.

Trekking socks were not designed for walking in snow bare foot either. The trekking sock is designed for friction in the boot and longevity of the heel and ball of foot that take the most contact, It's insulation is the same as any other sock of the same weave or material. Ultimately, trekking socks are a sales gimmick, especially with the design of modern boots and their comfort. There is no mystery regarding being able to walk in socks down the slope .

I believe you are refering to the details of walking in socks. Here is an English translation below of your post Anna . ( Please observe the dates) . The video from the slope of 1079  is from 2014 not 2013 and your quote.

"01/24/2013
Experiment: 8 hours in socks on a snowy field.

The place is the edge of a huge field, ski tracks, “blizzard” tracks, deep loose snow (up to 80-90 cm if you are walking on virgin soil).
Weather - from minus 15 degrees at the beginning, to minus 19 degrees at the end. Light wind 1-2 m/s at night, intensifying to 3-4 m/s in the morning.
Clothing:
- ski cap (40g)
- fine wool. sweater (215g)
- cotton shirt with long sleeves (390g)
- polarka (475g)
- thin wool underpants (155g)
- pants (thick synthetics, 390g)
On the legs:
1) thick trekking socks (synthetics, 70g/pair)
2) loose trekking socks (synthetics, 85g/pair)
3) plain socks (cotton + synthetics, 50g/pair)

Beginning on 01/22/13 at 00.00 (more precisely, five minutes to midnight), minus 15 degrees.
1 circle - 01.50 (minus 16)
2 circle - 03.20 (minus 17)
3 circle - 04.45 (minus 17)
4 circle - 06.00 (minus 18)
5 circle - 07.15 (minus 19)
6 semicircle - 08.10 (minus 19)

For 8 hours and 15 minutes covered approximately 27 km (5.5 laps of 4.64 km + 1.5 km approach / departure along the clearing from the car to the corner of the field). The average speed is 3.3 km/h.

Was on the move all the time. I stopped for 2-3 minutes to remove the thermometer on the tree, legs at the end of the experiment, four times as needed. After the third round (4.45) I wanted to give my legs a rest. He lay down, lifted them up to move a little. I lay there for a minute and a half and felt that my toes began to freeze (the blood drained). I realized that there was no chance of rest - I got up, went to “wind” circles further. Movement is the key to leg safety. Sometimes I felt that the feet began to freeze slightly, then I increased the movement in the ankle and energetically worked with my fingers, moving on to virgin soil. It turned out that in deep, loose snow, the legs were very comfortable (the heat was clearly better preserved than when driving on dense snow). In general, I can’t say that the feet were very cold (sometimes I completely forgot about them - I walked and walked).

The normal thermal balance of the body (do not freeze - do not sweat) was easily achieved by changing the intensity of movement and moving to virgin lands.

The brushes were well warmed by squeezing / unclenching the fingers, and in the wind it turned out to be effective to warm them, making movements as if you were washing your hands.

Socks at the end of walking are not iced over. There was some snow on top. The inner ones turned out to be a little damp (I can’t say wet).

10 hours after the experiment, the body temperature was 37.0 degrees, a day later - 36.4. In the evening of the next day I ran - everything seems to be normal, I felt tired in the muscles (especially in the calves). There are no effects of cold loading."

The following users thanked this post: Ehtnisba, Почемучка

April 27, 2023, 08:44:26 AM
Reply #39

Ziljoe

Yuri Yudin was troubled by the clean condition of the feet and socks of the hikers.
Link to quote below:  https://dyatlovpass.com/yudin-notes?rbid=18461

"The legs are bare, not damaged, not torn to blood (1.85 km through the snow and stones and the socks are intact!), and then so much work by the fire!"
It is obvious that Yuri Yudin wrote these lines about the deceased Doroshenko and Krivonischenko. He couldn't understand how the guys went from the tent to the cedar without shoes, without injuring their feet on sharp stones, without tearing their socks. After all, according to the official investigation, the hikers scrambled in the dark.

Yuri Yudin was speculating like the rest of us.

But he does not mention the burns and cuts on the legs of the two Yuri's as the author of your quote , speculates that he is talking about the two Yuri's.

I think the socks had burnt marks at the ceder. I also think that the quote from Yuri Yudin was taken from his own notes, where he is trying to formulate an understanding of what happened. He is not writing as a fact but jotting ideas down. Like being a detective?. 

April 27, 2023, 09:46:43 AM
Reply #40

anna_pycckux

Ziljoe, why are you overloading the forum with copies of messages?
It is already clear that a pure experiment, as close as possible to the conditions of the events at Dyatlov Pass, was conducted by journalists of the newspaper K P (Komsomolskaya Pravda). And this experiment tells us that in the weather conditions of the Middle Urals and with stone ridges and with that sports equipment and in a half-naked form - a descent down the slope of 1.5 km in socks is NOT POSSIBLE!!
Tourists did not run from the tent undressed and in socks! Their feet are not injured or frostbitten.
All versions that previously adhered to this fact are removed from the agenda!

April 27, 2023, 03:28:08 PM
Reply #41

Ziljoe

Anna. Copies of messages are to identify who I'm communicating with. Like wise, it gives the guest reader a narrative to not go back and forth through previous messages to read what was said before. Also,  there is a distinct habit for the deletion of messages to who said what. Perhaps similar to the alleged practices by the USSR/KGB by some members regarding the case files.

Could I please have the link to this experiment by the journalists of KP newspaper.

The weather varies considerably and it has been shown by others that they can walk in the snow, in socks with no serious harm.

You have a video of someone walking down the slope in socks. We also have pictures of the Dyatlov group out side their tent doing activities in the forest. You do not freeze instantly , it is not outer space.

Why is the descent down the slope in socks not possible. What is there to stop that happening? Why would their feet have injuries when walking on snow?

What agenda are you talking about?

April 27, 2023, 10:14:54 PM
Reply #42

Олег Таймень

Tourists did not run from the tent undressed and in socks! Their feet are not injured or frostbitten.
All versions that previously adhered to this fact are removed from the agenda!

Here is Kahn's experiment, where he easily walked 1.5 km. in socks. Kan is a real explorer, not a dreamer sitting on a couch. He was at the Dyatlov Pass six times

In addition, he revealed the deception of the viewers of your two-minute video in four places. And claims that such deception is often present in your book, where you deceive readers:
But you Anya, again, you STATE exactly the opposite.
In total, four deceptions of the Spectator! - Isn't it too much for a two-minute video?
… And now imagine yourself in the place of the Reader, who is led by the nose over and over again.
After all, such patterns are not uncommon in your book.
Source: https://sledopyt1959.mybb.ru/viewtopic.php?id=363&p=10#p31838

Вот эксперимент Кана, где он легко прошагал 1,5 км. в носках. Кан это настоящий исследователь, не фантазёр, сидящий на диване. Он шесть раз был на перевале Дятлова

Кроме того, он выявил обман зрителей вашего двух минутного ролика в четырёх местах. И утверждает, что подобный обман часто присутствует в вашей книге, где вы обманываете читателей:
Но ты Аня, опять же УТВЕРЖДАЕШЬ ровно обратное.
Итого, четыре обмана Зрителя! - не многовато ли для двухминутного ролика?
… А теперь представь себя на месте Читателя, которого раз за разом водят за нос.
Ведь подобные шаблоны - не редкость в твоей книге.
Источник: https://sledopyt1959.mybb.ru/viewtopic.php?id=363&p=10#p31838
If a mountain comes towards you, and you are not Mohammed, then it is a rockfall.

The following users thanked this post: Ziljoe, Почемучка

April 27, 2023, 11:03:04 PM
Reply #43

anna_pycckux

Here is Kahn's experiment, where he easily walked 1.5 km. in socks.
The topic under discussion is "Did anyone go to this area to recreate the event?"
Alexander Koshkin's experiment, but I can't give it as an example, because a city park and warm clothes do not meet the conditions of a rocky mountain slope. On a flat surface, in a modern warm jacket, in the absence of a hurricane wind, a rested, well-fed person will really be able to walk in socks in the snow. Alexander commands respect for his athletic form, but he himself admitted that his walking in socks is not an experiment.
I remind you that the well-known, authoritative tourist Ptitsyn confidently says that it is IMPOSSIBLE to walk half-naked in socks down the slope.
The experiment of KP journalists, which is closest to the conditions, is given by me as an example and all links are given. В приведенном скриншоте Н Варсегова говорить, что бежать в носках по перевалу Дятлова - невозможно.
My book is a separate topic, I am ready to discuss it with pleasure.
In the screenshot: N. Varsegova claims that it is impossible to run in socks in winter along the Dyatlov Pass

April 28, 2023, 12:21:44 AM
Reply #44

anna_pycckux

очень известный, опытный, авторитетный походник ПТИЦИН ГА утрерждает: НЕЛЬЗЯ В ТЕХ УСЛОВИЯХ ПРОЙТИ !,5 км в носках по склону.
A very well-known, experienced, authoritative tourist G.A. PTITSIN says: IN SUCH CONDITIONS IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to WALK 1.5 km in socks on the slope. Ptitsyn G A hiker, master of sports in tourism, honored tourist.

April 28, 2023, 12:39:12 AM
Reply #45

anna_pycckux

Could I please have the link to this experiment by the journalists of KP newspaper.
you have already asked for links and I have provided them. See this section.

April 28, 2023, 01:46:27 AM
Reply #46

Ziljoe

you have already asked for links and I have provided them. See this section.

Dear Anna,

Your links and photos are confused to the English reader. Photos with coloured lines next to Russian text means nothing . The video you post has no subtitles for me . It could be anyone, saying anything . I also note that there are only 4 comments, which I can translate. Little is said in these comments. For all I know they could be talking about how to make tea. Milk before or after the teabag is put in the water?

I do not see this link to the journalists that could walk only 30 meters and what do you mean when you say half naked?

You have been given a video of a person walking down the slope in socks plus several other videos of people walking in snow, wearing socks. Where is the problem?

April 28, 2023, 02:17:28 AM
Reply #47

eurocentric

Some of the socks were holed at autopsy, just as clothing was worn out and well used. But to me this is a sideshow, irrelevant.

We do not know for certain that the footprints were made by the hikers, Teddy commissioned an expert opinion who said they were "probably" made by shod feet, and one print clearly has a heel to it.

Someone was there to turn bodies after death, which is subzero conditions can mean 3 days for rigor mortis to set in. I can't see assassins returning to turn bodies but I can see Mansi inspecting the tent and finding bodies and understandably worrying they'd be blamed so playing it like they were never there. This then explains a lot of other things and their 'alibi' of one man out there, the rest ill at home, after perhaps after reading the diaries mentioning following a recent deerhunters tracks (singular or plurality unclear) they placed an elder out there who'd resist interrogation.

Had the hikers walked down the mountain at night with a snow level exposing all those rocks, armed with rudimentary Chinese flashlights and possibly a dynamo torch they had to continually press then I'd expect a number of injuries from trip incidents and rolls into rocks. So it is possible to assume the snow level was at that time even, easy to walk on, and subsequently, after they died the hurricane scoured the snow off the mountain and drifted it down to the ravine.
My DPI approach - logic, probability and reason.

April 28, 2023, 02:37:21 AM
Reply #48

anna_pycckux

You have been given a video of a person walking down the slope in socks plus several other videos of people walking in snow, wearing socks. Where is the problem?
The problem is you. You can not distinguish in any way the ultra-modern trekking socks from the usual ones, and the rocky, harsh slope of the Dyatlov Pass from the park for walking.

April 28, 2023, 03:02:37 AM
Reply #49

Ziljoe

The problem is you. You can not distinguish in any way the ultra-modern trekking socks from the usual ones, and the rocky, harsh slope of the Dyatlov Pass from the park for walking.

I have many socks from many years. They all basically serve the same purpose which is to cover my feet. You have a video of a man walking in socks down the slope at the actual location. We can see that there are rocks but plenty of space to maneuver between them.

However, I wouldn't like to tackle the slope with skis and a heavy backpack in poor visibility.

April 28, 2023, 03:25:34 AM
Reply #50

Ziljoe

I am curious if anybody knows about an expedition to re-create what happened at the pass? By that I mean set up a tent in the area it was supposed to be set up, walk down to where they were supposed to have walked down in bare feet or stocking feet to see if it can be done, although of course not to the point of getting frostbite
The journalists of the newspaper "KP" conducted an experiment in 2013: after cutting the tent, they rushed to run down the slope in socks. Natalia Varsegova said that she was able to run only 30 meters and returned to the tent barely alive. Her opinion: in winter it is impossible to run in socks on the slope!!

Anna, I hope you don't mind the reposting of this post. I am confused , you say the Natalia Varsegova was doing an experiment.

From the full dialogue it would seem they were making a film and these were just actors? The reason she only went 30 meters is because that is all she had to do for the director, not because she was about to freeze to death. She returned to the tent for a second take as their facial expressions were not what the director wanted.Natalia is writing as a journalist, journalists need income.

I am sitting in a tent (the same as that of the Dyatlovites) on the slope of Mount Kholat-Chakhl. The wind is free to walk in the tent, blowing it from all sides. The bottom is covered with warm soldier blankets, quilted jackets. I am wearing a thick sweater, windbreaker, woolen ski pants, warm tights, two pairs of woolen socks, thermal underwear. Nearby - the guys-rescuers. They are also in the form of Dyatlovites.

I'm shaking from the cold. Teeth convulsively tap out Morse code. Boiling water, which we generously pour from a thermos into camping mugs, does not save either.

At the command of the operators, we cut the tent and jump out of it with undisguised joy. Now everything will be over, and instead of quilted jackets, we will put on warm modern overalls. And, most importantly, keep warm.

- Stop! - the menacing voice of director Varsegov sounds. - What is the joy on your faces?! You are scared! Show horror! Let's go again!

... Fortunately, the second double was the last. We feigned panic as best we could and rushed down the slope. Like Dyatlovites. In the same socks.

How endless those 30 meters seemed to me then, which I ran on a hard crust! As if you are stepping on the snow with wounded feet, and small prickly snowflakes mercilessly dig into them. The ascent to the tent was unhurried, I no longer felt my numb legs.

They dressed me in four hands. Someone carefully poured vodka into the lid from under the thermos. To be honest, it doesn't make any sense. It seems to me that after a week I still can't get warm. Yes, and she managed to frostbite her hands so that the skin on the fingertips lost sensitivity.

Could the Dyatlovites walk one and a half kilometers in the same socks? I do not believe in this. Yes, they were much more resilient and stronger in spirit. And I can even admit that they, driven by terrible fear and adrenaline, walked several hundred meters, but not one and a half thousand. Even the strongest guys would have fallen halfway, wasting their last strength in the cold and wind.

Читайте на WWW.KP.RU: https://www.kp.ru/daily/26054/2965513/

The following users thanked this post: Олег Таймень, Почемучка

April 28, 2023, 05:46:32 AM
Reply #51

anna_pycckux

Ziljoe yes, it was an expedition to make a documentary that would help to understand the cause of the death of tourists. Journalist Varsegov monitored the purity of the experiment.

April 28, 2023, 06:55:54 AM
Reply #52

Ziljoe

I believe the documentary was made in 2013.

From following the links I found this quote which is mildly interesting.
https://sobesednik.ru/obshchestvo/20130410-o-chem-molchat-kamni-perevala-dyatlova

The funeral of the guys in Sverdlovsk took place from March to May. The case was closed on May 28 with a strange conclusion that the reason for the death of the tourist group "was an elemental force, which people were not able to overcome" ...

Due to translation and possibly perpetual sensational journalism to sell the story, the word "elemental" may be a better translation to English from russian at least.

Searching the definition for elemental force ,we get  :literary. showing the strong power of nature.

This interpretation is less vague and seems like the conclusion to the case was actually a strong force of nature that the group couldn't overcome.

April 28, 2023, 07:18:14 AM
Reply #53

Олег Таймень

Zinaida Kolmogorova was wearing not even two, but three pairs of socks.

Analysis of Zina Kolmogorova's clothes.

On the head:
1. Red wool cap tied at the chin with a bow.
2. A blue woolen knitted cap attached to the hair with a hairpin.

Above waist:
1. Blue wool sweater, turned inside out.
2. Checked cotton shirt with long sleeves and one left pocket.
3. Under the cowboy shirt, on the left half of the chest - a military-style protective mask.
4. Vigoniy light red sweater with blue transverse stripes, dressed inside out.
5. Blue jersey with long sleeves.
6. Black satin bra.

Below the waist.
1. Black flannelette ski pants with side zips.
2. Blue cotton sweatpants with side fasteners and elastic at the bottom.
3. Blue women's knitted leggings with fleece.
4. Ladies' black cotton leotard with elastic.
5. Black cotton briefs - swimming trunks.

On foot
1. Brown wool socks with fur insoles.
2. Blue vigon socks.
3. Brown Vignon Socks.

Zina's clothes found in the tent.

1. Blue herringbone ski cap with white vertical stripes
            2. Red wool scarf
            3. Ladies padded jacket with fur collar and hood
            4. Green canvas windbreaker
            5. Blue wool mittens
            6. Black fur mittens trimmed with black cotton material
            7. Blue cotton mittens
            8. Old woolen dark brown mittens trimmed with green tarpaulin
            9. Brown Vigon socks
            10. Woolen white socks lined with green tarpaulin
            11. Blue, with elastic bands, boot covers
            12. New cloth house slippers, on the sole, on the outside, herringbone pattern.
Conclusion:
1. In addition to running clothes, Zinaida Kolmogorova is wearing clothes that she changed into in the parking lot. Except for the bodysuit.
2. So many clothes are worn for sleeping when the stove is not heated at night. If the stove is heated, then it will be hot in these clothes. Or you need to settle down for the night at the farthest wall of the tent.
3. This amount of clothing cannot be used for movement on a running day. There will be heavy sweating
4. In so many clothes it is impossible to die from the cold, if you move a little, warming up .. You can stretch for three or four days ..
5. If in fact there were not two, but three pairs of socks, also with fur insoles, then this is much warmer than being in boots and one pair of socks. But the socks will be a little damp ..
(you still need to figure out what vigonian socks and woolen socks with fur insoles of 1059 are)

If a mountain comes towards you, and you are not Mohammed, then it is a rockfall.

April 30, 2023, 03:17:21 AM
Reply #54

ilahiyol

I believe the documentary was made in 2013.

From following the links I found this quote which is mildly interesting.
https://sobesednik.ru/obshchestvo/20130410-o-chem-molchat-kamni-perevala-dyatlova

The funeral of the guys in Sverdlovsk took place from March to May. The case was closed on May 28 with a strange conclusion that the reason for the death of the tourist group "was an elemental force, which people were not able to overcome" ...

Due to translation and possibly perpetual sensational journalism to sell the story, the word "elemental" may be a better translation to English from russian at least.

Searching the definition for elemental force ,we get  :literary. showing the strong power of nature.

This interpretation is less vague and seems like the conclusion to the case was actually a strong force of nature that the group couldn't overcome.
What force of nature could be that professionally sane 9 young people walking for miles and suddenly killing them in 3 different places? There is no such force of nature! Only a conscious and rational power can do this! In other words, the young people faced a force they could not resist!!! And they fled to the forest first, but then they were attacked and died in the forest as well.

April 30, 2023, 03:26:43 AM
Reply #55

ilahiyol

A person can walk 5-10 km in the forest with bare feet even at minus 20 degrees. It can go even longer with socks. I have a very interesting question in my mind: "Why didn't the youngsters run farther away from the unknown power???" There could be several reasons for this. 1. Unknown power had the ability to fly!!! It would be pointless to run away. 2. Living supplies were in the tent. Running further away was death!!! 3. Their energy was gone. They couldn't go any farther. 4. They were caught before they could go any farther

April 30, 2023, 02:53:03 PM
Reply #56

Manti

I also think that the discussion about socks is somewhat of a distraction... If they got to where they were found, but not just in socks, who returned their boots to the tent, and why?

On the other hand, the problem with socks in powder snow, is that the snow the ends up on the top of the foot melts due to body heat. Then the sock is wet. And then your feet are losing heat much more quickly and actually the situation is worse than going bare feet. At least this is according to my experience, not walking around in socks, but with socks and a boot, which doesn't actually make much difference if it's not completely watertight. But apparently, the person in Ziljoe's video didn't experience this problem somehow..

April 30, 2023, 03:56:50 PM
Reply #57

Ziljoe

I think the socks cause the insulation. It keeps the heat in by not letting it get to the surface of the sock.

Oddly enough, running in socks and snow seems to be a thing in Finland. Having glanced the comment section in the video it seems to be done by a few people around the world.

Don't shoot me , I'm just the messenger. I think we can tick the box that it's not impossible to walk down the slope in socks.unless it's a comedy sketch?

April 30, 2023, 04:07:00 PM
Reply #58

Ziljoe

It even has a name ! villasukkajuoksu.

Everyday is a school day.....

April 30, 2023, 05:02:46 PM
Reply #59

Ziljoe

A person can walk 5-10 km in the forest with bare feet even at minus 20 degrees. It can go even longer with socks. I have a very interesting question in my mind: "Why didn't the youngsters run farther away from the unknown power???" There could be several reasons for this. 1. Unknown power had the ability to fly!!! It would be pointless to run away. 2. Living supplies were in the tent. Running further away was death!!! 3. Their energy was gone. They couldn't go any farther. 4. They were caught before they could go any farther

I lean towards they couldn't stay at the tent for some reason that would involve something natural /accidental.

I would go with your number two. Supplies were in the tent and they just had to survive and going further would be certain death.

I don't think they could go further because of the terrain in the forest . Ravines, snow drifts etc.