Theories Discussion > General Discussion

The Instinct of Self Preservation

<< < (3/8) > >>

MDGross:
Charles and Jean Daniel, Let's see if I understand you – I'm asleep in my tent at an elevation between 850 and 900 meters in the Siberian winter. I'm 20 years old and have accepted that my endeavor is dangerous, that if something unexpected happens I will stand my ground and hurtle insults at it. I have thoroughly trained myself never to panic, but face any threat almost joyfully because I am a son or daughter of the Soviet Union in 1959 and will laugh at danger and never, absolutely never, feel fear.
So, that when the unexpected happens, I destroy one side of my tent by slicing it open, and then hurry into the sub-zero night without even putting on my shoes and coat. Oh, and my well-thought out plan is to walk almost a mile to the woods below, where all that awaits is the same freezing night and even more snow.
Clearly, the nine hikers were not a well-trained, elite military unit. They were frightened young people not wanting to die on some God-forsaken plot of frozen Siberia.

And Charles, when you stick to the subject under discussion, your ideas are of value. But your boyhood adventures and feelings toward your grandfather, contribute nothing, zilch, zero, to this thread. Best to keep those to your self.

GlennM:
Given the number of serious forum participants who have absented themselves from the forum, we few who remain must exercise some decorum and hopefully a bit of camaraderie. Agreed?

Charles:
nothing here

Manti:

--- Quote from: MDGross on September 17, 2022, 10:35:51 AM ---When something unexpected happens, something that possibly puts your life in danger, chemicals release in your brain and neurons send out one command: Run for your life. When a shooter fires into a crowd, people don't calmly walk away, they run for their lives. If something unexpected suddenly happened to the Dyatlov group – balls of fire rolling toward the tent (the ball lightning scenario), a frightening snow or ice slippage, a tent enveloped in nitrous oxide fumes (the exploded missile scenario) – it's human nature to run for your life. Yet, the hikers seemed to walk in an orderly fashion down the slope.

--- End quote ---
I propose that in fact, it is not possible to either run or walk in an orderly fashion down the slope. In some areas, yes, in others, there are stone ridges, and yet others: deep snow that you fall through:

And then, add in the possibility that it was dark outside. Apparently, they had only one flashlight with them (and left another at the tent). However frightened you are, you don't run into the darkness where there might be a cliff, a stream that you can fall into and then freeze in your wet clothes, or just simply a tree to poke your eye, or even just a slippery part where you might trip and hit yourself on a rock...

It makes sense they would descend together, following the person who had the flashlight. Even then, according to the above photo from the search, it must have been a struggle at certain points. This in itself is interesting... They didn't simply just walk into the forest. They risked their lives, especially considering they lost the flashlight at some point en route, they risked for example falling through the snow into a stream. This is a risk even during daylight. Staying in or even near the tent must have been completely hopeless.

Ziljoe:
@Manti
This a valued point. It is extremely stoney in parts . They seemed to have some choice in going down the slope.

@ GlennM
I could see them having a "panic" at some surprise when they were in the tent. If the last photo is of them pitching the tent on the slope , we know the visibility was poor. They would not know exactly where they pitched their tent. For all they knew they could be under a ridge full of snow , we have the benefit of hindsight, unfortunately the hikers didn't. I can imagine them at that height in the cold making a decision after cutting their way out of the tent that it would be better to move away. They may have seen small snow balls still sliding down just like the useful video from Charles....

...Unlike our Charlie's video of the brave french skier's on the sunny day in full visibility , knowing exactly where they were and what was happening....or maybe it could be like being on a boat, in a storm and it starts to sink, your stuck inside so break the window to get out fast as the water is coming in the door. You jump in the water to try and swim to shore shouting sacre bleu.......

@ Charlie , you solved the case.... Your grandfather must have been after them

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version