March 28, 2024, 03:49:42 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: is this the tent was, where the skis are?  (Read 8802 times)

January 22, 2023, 10:58:28 AM
Read 8802 times

tenne

I am wondering if these photos show a long view of where the tent was, it looks like it to me but judging positions isn't my strength.

January 22, 2023, 12:19:06 PM
Reply #1

Teddy

Administrator
You can see more photo of the location of the tent on Film №3, this is after the tent was dismounted.
https://dyatlovpass.com/search-photos

The following users thanked this post: tenne

January 22, 2023, 12:25:28 PM
Reply #2

tenne

Sorry if I seem a bit dense, so are these photos the long view of where the tent was?

January 22, 2023, 12:36:31 PM
Reply #3

Teddy

Administrator
Not sure what a long view is. If the question is about the orientation of the tent scroll up on the same page and you will see the etnt shot form the same direction while it was still up.

January 22, 2023, 12:50:10 PM
Reply #4

tenne

sorry, I worded that wrong, is the area defined by the skis where the tent was in the photos I posted. The photos are taken from further away, that's what I meant by long view, and we can see much more of the area than the photo that just shows the tent basically.

January 22, 2023, 01:03:22 PM
Reply #5

Teddy

Administrator
From here on you are on your own. I don't have anything else to contribute.

January 22, 2023, 06:50:07 PM
Reply #6

tenne

Thank you for your help. I have looked all over the search photos and I can't see anything that looks like a slab of snow moved. There is no trail and if this is where the tent was, where was the slab?

January 22, 2023, 08:07:02 PM
Reply #7

GlennM

I am encouraged that before the tent was carried off and the belongings were randomized on the snow, an inventory of the tent and its contents was made. Otherwise,  all I get out of that picture is they left a lot behind when they vacated the tent, or alternately, the bad boys had to carry a bunch of stuff uphill from the fallen tree campsite...and leave no footprints.

January 22, 2023, 10:51:26 PM
Reply #8

Missi

I believe an inventory was what they had in mind, but were ordered to put everything back and bring the tent up to be flown away. It's just a memory of having read something, though.

January 22, 2023, 11:22:02 PM
Reply #9

Teddy

Administrator
I believe an inventory was what they had in mind, but were ordered to put everything back and bring the tent up to be flown away. It's just a memory of having read something, though.

"1079: The overwhelming force of Dyatlov Pass"
Chapter 7. February 27 - March 10, 1959. Dyatlov five.
--------------------------------------
During an external cursory examination of the tent, Tempalov tore a hole in its side. Here is how Yarovoy described this episode in his book: “The tent was covered with a thick layer of snow compressed by the wind. The rescuers tried to remove the snow from a single spot – with the tent’s fabric showing. The fabric was covered with holes, with the items inside the tent visible through them... The prosecutor scraped away as much snow from the tent as he could. We tried to bring the torn edges back together, but the many ruptures were running in disarray – traversing one another, which made it impossible... Two rescuers, armed with ski poles, began to gouge out the snow. First, they pulled out some sack, in which one could hardly recognize a backpack; next came a ski jacket, which was so frozen, that it looked like a wreckage of stone... The prosecutor knelt down and thrust his hands into the tent. Something made a cracking sound. The prosecutor turned red with the effort, then, suddenly, a thick layer of snow gave way, revealing a canvas side. They threw the snow aside. The prosecutor stretched the hole, and the tent opened. What he saw struck with its chaos: blankets, jackets, felt boots – everything was turned upside down, crumpled and mixed with snow.”

In the morning, Tempalov, Chernyshev, and about ten more men, including Maslennikov, Brusnitsyn, Sharavin, Lebedev, Karelin, Atmanaki, and Koptelov, went to dig out the tent. Maslennikov instructed Brusnitsyn to make a list of items recovered in the process of digging out the tent, but the latter was continuously distracted by other matters and could not keep a systematic record. There was no thorough examination of the items on site – they would be properly protocolled only in Ivdel. Soon after they began stripping down the tent: there was an order to wind down the inspection of its contents, to put everything back inside the tent, and to bring it to the landing site. Brusnitsyn and Sharavin dragged the tent with its contents for half a mile towards the rock outlier now known as the Boot rock. Three of the four discovered corpses were as well moved up to the pass under heavy wind. The corpses were taken uphill by eight people so that not to damage the frozen bodies. The body of Krivonischenko would be moved to the pass only on March 1.
--------------------------------------
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 11:29:55 PM by Teddy »

The following users thanked this post: Missi

January 23, 2023, 03:46:04 AM
Reply #10

Ziljoe

@tenne

If you read Teddy's post , it seems what was initially found at the tent is different to what the photos portray . Plus, over 3 weeks had past since the assumed time of the incident and pitching of the tent.

January 23, 2023, 05:56:17 AM
Reply #11

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
Dragged like a santa sack 700 meters. 
All theories are flawed....... Get Behind Me Satan !!!

January 23, 2023, 08:09:52 AM
Reply #12

GlennM

If the priority was to spend the least amount of time in unsheltered crazy cold, then inventorying contents indoors and thawed is reasonable. If the prosecutors initial opinion of the tent was that it was forensically valuable, then the tent would be carefully packed and moved.  If the tent was subject to rough handling, then the tent was considered debris not to be abandoned in situ.

If nothing was deliberately left behind, if no blood trace was found on the tent, nor blood on sharp edged tools,,then a cover up by the recovery team leadership may be ruled out. noted. If an opinion of how the tent was compromised was given after the tent was dragged,then the opinion is unreliable.

January 23, 2023, 09:17:34 AM
Reply #13

tenne

@tenne

If you read Teddy's post , it seems what was initially found at the tent is different to what the photos portray . Plus, over 3 weeks had past since the assumed time of the incident and pitching of the tent.

I did miss that, thank you.

3 weeks isn't going to erase the signs of a slab avalanche. I was looking at as many photos of slab avalanches as I could find and then comparing that to the photos of the search area and the mountain as I could. I can see zero evidence of any disturbance of snow other than around the skis where it looks like the cast off snow from the shovels after they dug the tent out.

January 23, 2023, 09:47:27 AM
Reply #14

Ziljoe

@tenne

3 weeks isn't going to erase the signs of a slab avalanche. I was looking at as many photos of slab avalanches as I could find and then comparing that to the photos of the search area and the mountain as I could. I can see zero evidence of any disturbance of snow other than around the skis where it looks like the cast off snow from the shovels after they dug the tent out.

There was recent research to avalanches on the slope , in the area, I think, 1.5 km away. ( It's discussed somewhere in the forum's) . Any sign of the avalanche was gone with in an hour due to the winds and blowing snow. Obviously avalanches and snow slabs come in all shapes and sizes. 

There didn't need to be a large snow slab, slide or avalanche to make the dp9 cut the tent , only the thought from their perspective that worse could follow. The wind blows on that slope and snow constantly moves by the wind blowing old snow . It covered the three found on the slope . What potentially fell or covered the tent on the night/day will be very different 3 weeks later.  It's perhaps the stereo type of avalanche in our minds that is a problem.

At some point , signs of small avalanche's will disappear with wind etc.
It's still one of the strongest arguments in my opinion.

The following users thanked this post: Почемучка

January 23, 2023, 10:47:48 AM
Reply #15

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
We don’t even have ONE photo of the state of the tent as found.  Let that sink in

January 23, 2023, 10:57:34 AM
Reply #16

Ziljoe

We don’t even have ONE photo of the state of the tent as found.  Let that sink in

A lot of things sink in. What's your thoughts loose cannon?

January 23, 2023, 11:00:51 AM
Reply #17

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator

On the specifics regarding the tent… Inconclusive in terms of drawing any conclusions from its condition. Too many variables and too much mishandling. 

January 23, 2023, 11:10:31 AM
Reply #18

Ziljoe

On the specifics regarding the tent… Inconclusive in terms of drawing any conclusions from its condition. Too many variables and too much mishandling. 

I agree

January 23, 2023, 11:16:13 AM
Reply #19

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
I think things like cutting and tearing themselves out from the tent, all walking down the slope together, and 3 of them dying while attempting to return have been regurgitated so many times that it somehow becomes unquestionable even though there are no basis in facts.  These three things can be argued against at length.

Think of this…. if your walking DOWN a slope and stop to sit or lay down to die, would your feet point uphill?  Not hardly. 

The following users thanked this post: Manti, Missi, tenne

January 23, 2023, 11:23:05 AM
Reply #20

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
If someone can look at this picture and definitely state which direction they came from….  I’ll call BS

January 23, 2023, 11:42:32 AM
Reply #21

Ziljoe

I think things like cutting and tearing themselves out from the tent, all walking down the slope together, and 3 of them dying while attempting to return have been regurgitated so many times that it somehow becomes unquestionable even though there are no basis in facts.  These three things can be argued against at length.

Think of this…. if your walking DOWN a slope and stop to sit or lay down to die, would your feet point uphill?  Not hardly.

I remember you disgusting tis before in one of your posts. If I remember correctly it was to do with how they might of fallen.. whether that being going up hill or down hill.

January 23, 2023, 11:48:27 AM
Reply #22

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator

I remember you disgusting tis before in one of your posts. If I remember correctly it was to do with how they might of fallen.. whether that being going up hill or down hill.

I’ve discussed things like this before simply to illustrate how the perceived “basics” of what we know are heavily flawed. 

There’s what… 6 different combinations to be had regarding who could have died headed in each direction? 

January 23, 2023, 11:51:13 AM
Reply #23

Ziljoe

True and I agree. It's all vague. What's your thoughts on what might have happened?

January 23, 2023, 11:59:42 AM
Reply #24

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
True and I agree. It's all vague. What's your thoughts on what might have happened?

If I knew…. I’d write a book like everyone else.  😂

I do believe however that like in most cases where people die in the wilderness, that a series of unfortunate events culminating in a tragic outcome took place. Was any of said events influenced by any type of outside source…. no idea.  Slab slide, falling from tree, hypothermia, ravin shelter collapse, infighting, unintentional ergot poisoning, ultrasound frequencies…. lots of possible variables that when combined, can be deadly.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 02:21:08 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

January 23, 2023, 12:00:32 PM
Reply #25

tenne

@tenne

There was recent research to avalanches on the slope , in the area, I think, 1.5 km away. ( It's discussed somewhere in the forum's) . Any sign of the avalanche was gone with in an hour due to the winds and blowing snow. Obviously avalanches and snow slabs come in all shapes and sizes. 

There didn't need to be a large snow slab, slide or avalanche to make the dp9 cut the tent , only the thought from their perspective that worse could follow. The wind blows on that slope and snow constantly moves by the wind blowing old snow . It covered the three found on the slope . What potentially fell or covered the tent on the night/day will be very different 3 weeks later.  It's perhaps the stereo type of avalanche in our minds that is a problem.

At some point , signs of small avalanche's will disappear with wind etc.
It's still one of the strongest arguments in my opinion.

I have yet to see any avalanche signs vanish other than melting and I live in an avalanche area. The road I just drove on was closed 2 weeks ago for an avalanche and the signs of the avalanche are still clear, and it was a very small one off a rock wall that just blocked the highway.

I disagree they thought more would come down because 1. they knew the slope they were on, if the slab that fell was the cause, they knew the slope wasn't enough to cause any thing to worry about and
2. any experienced hiker/skier knows that you run sideways from an avalanche, not down hill.
3. they walked slowly down hill from an avalanche? that makes even less sense

January 23, 2023, 12:03:03 PM
Reply #26

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
I would imagine more of a slight slab slide. Given the whiteout conditions on the slope, they possibly couldn’t see the tent to return to.  So many variables

January 23, 2023, 12:10:53 PM
Reply #27

tenne

what white out conditions? If you are saying that the spray from the avalanche would cause the white out, then there would be evidence of a large amount of snow like that flying around.

January 23, 2023, 12:21:51 PM
Reply #28

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
what white out conditions? If you are saying that the spray from the avalanche would cause the white out, then there would be evidence of a large amount of snow like that flying around.

Photographic evidence of the conditions on the slope that night?

January 23, 2023, 12:43:58 PM
Reply #29

tenne

Not sure if you have ever shot in black and white but its very easy to get white out conditions if the settings are not proper, or if you want it to look like that, its easy to do. plus, please show me a photo of a slope like that where the tent was? As well, there are no identifying features to prove who is in this film so it could be the stagers.

I have looked at the angle of the slope and how deep they dug and I can't see it on the photos of the search anywhere. Plus, from my very admittedly bad depth perception, they were digging a lot deeper than the snow level looks like on the slopes.

But these things are the main reasons why it will never be solved unless some official information is found.

Take the helicopter, they had the technology to fly at night but I can't prove they did and no one can prove they didn't. I don't see any signs of an avalanche, even a very small one but others will.

I can't imagine anyone walking slowly away from danger, be it an avalanche, whatever. if they were that afraid, they would be running