March 28, 2024, 01:42:40 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: is this the tent was, where the skis are?  (Read 8801 times)

January 25, 2023, 10:10:11 AM
Reply #60

Manti

According to the official sources, their cache was buried and marked by a ski and a garter and in the trees (according to the photo of the site)

Well, maybe it was snowed on during the month until it was found and maybe it was not buried initially.

where is the tent in this scenario?

No idea. In this scenario the 6 decide to go back to Vizhay the way they came and survive.

where is the evidence of the avalanche? they leave very distinct signs behind

Maybe covered under new snow. The ravine 4's injuries are "evidence" of something powerful. Either avalanche, or falling out of an airplane (but what were they doing there in the first place?), a tree or rocks falling on them. Being trampled by moose. Maybe it's no secret that I'm partial to the latter. I don't really see what else can cause those injuries there in the Urals. There were no nuclear tests at the time. Maybe a meteorite (bolide) air blast is another option. But they were skiing. An avalanche is the most obvious killer. But it didn't happen at the tent or the ravine. Or maybe at all.....

January 25, 2023, 10:46:46 AM
Reply #61

Missi

Why do they need to bury their stuff if they're setting up a storage?

That is exactly the thing. According to experienced ski hikers, the kind of storage that was found, is unusual, because one would rather hang the food in the trees in order to make it unreachable by animals. Burying is what you do for a storage, if there are no trees.
So if someone inexperienced finds the storage on the ridge (which was a good place for a storage, because of the wind shadow caused by a rock), puts up the tent there and moves the storage to another location, he'd mimic the storage and dig a hole for it, not knowing, that in the chosen surrounding (now the forest) this is not the usual way to do it.

To me, that sounds plausible.

January 25, 2023, 12:17:52 PM
Reply #62

GlennM

To me…. I see snow blowing into the hole almost faster then it can be dug. I see three dp members and one behind the camera. Where are the other 5?

I’ve seen several winter videos of the slope and if the wind is blowing, it seems like the most inhospitable place on planet earth.

If wind created a tear in the tent and the outside conditions are consistent with the description provided, would that not be sufficient reason to abandon the tent as a group?

January 25, 2023, 12:35:00 PM
Reply #63

tenne

To me…. I see snow blowing into the hole almost faster then it can be dug. I see three dp members and one behind the camera. Where are the other 5?

I’ve seen several winter videos of the slope and if the wind is blowing, it seems like the most inhospitable place on planet earth.

If wind created a tear in the tent and the outside conditions are consistent with the description provided, would that not be sufficient reason to abandon the tent as a group?

why would anyone put a tent up in those conditions without setting up the stove?

January 25, 2023, 02:14:58 PM
Reply #64

GlennM

Having a stove would suit me.  Using a stove only makes sense if there is wood to burn.So there is a heavy tent, backpacks and wood all to be hauled uphill. I wonder if it was just to much.

The following users thanked this post: tenne

January 25, 2023, 02:58:52 PM
Reply #65

tenne

As I don't believe they ever camped there, I have to agree. No way they would put up a tent without a stove in those conditions, no way experienced campers would set up there and if they had to leave in a panic from ? why did they slowly walk away? If they were in that much control of themselves, there is no way they would go downhill to protect from any sort of avalanche, they would have gone sideways to avoid the slide

January 25, 2023, 02:59:45 PM
Reply #66

Ziljoe

why would anyone put a tent up in those conditions without setting up the stove?

Perhaps they intended to put up the stove after eating and getting their equipment stored. Given the size of the tent and the head Room space that the stove would take up, organising themselves first may have taken priority. The reporting of food being out and biscuits crushed etc suggests activity prior to settling down?

January 25, 2023, 03:01:11 PM
Reply #67

Ziljoe

Sideways might not be the best option.

January 25, 2023, 03:03:50 PM
Reply #68

tenne

Maybe I didn't explain properly. When you are in an avalanche, you do not go down hill, you run or ski or snowmachine to the side as quickly as you can. No one will ever outrun an avalanche but people can make it to safety by getting out of the path on the side.

This is standard avalanche training where I live.

January 25, 2023, 03:08:27 PM
Reply #69

Ziljoe

They were in a tent, not on skis or snow machine, this advice when in an avalanche or one being triggered by your activity on the slope. Not when you are sitting still and it happens.

January 25, 2023, 04:24:50 PM
Reply #70

tenne

So you are saying that when your tent is caught in an avalanche, you should walk down hill, where the avalanche goes, to escape it?

If they left the tent because they were afraid of being caught in the avalanche, why wouldn't they go sideways to safety? why would they walk down the slope to escape it?

The following users thanked this post: ilahiyol

January 25, 2023, 04:34:19 PM
Reply #71

GlennM

As a group we are essentially divided regarding the tent. If the tent was actually in the forest, and there was mayhem,  the tent could be mocked up where it was found on 1079. It would stand to reason that the bodies too would be brought up there , else questions arise. The forum is full of them.

If a tree had fallen on the tent and group, and they were able to wiggle out, I'd expect a fire pit with food tins etc. I would anticipate bandages to be at the scene and on the bodies. If conspiracists later moved the tent, I would still expect the injured to have bandages of some sort. Even nurse Solter did not observe bandages.

If the tent was pitched on 1079 and failed, the standard explanation seems adequate.

January 25, 2023, 05:36:51 PM
Reply #72

Ziljoe

So you are saying that when your tent is caught in an avalanche, you should walk down hill, where the avalanche goes, to escape it?

If they left the tent because they were afraid of being caught in the avalanche, why wouldn't they go sideways to safety? why would they walk down the slope to escape it?

What I'm saying , or how I perceive it to be, is if the avalanche, snow slip/slide/ snow slab or whatever we call it occurred. That is , if some sort of snow mass collapsed the tent , enough to make them cut their way out of the tent. It does not mean the that the tent should be carried away or even fully collapsed , or any of the many variables of snow coming down a mountain slope can enter our imagination. The snow mass falling on the tent is the trigger. The worst has happened and it did not kill them at the tent location. To go left or right after the suggested avalanche , towards exposed slopes without cover or shelter would in my opinion ,not be the correct thing to do.the snow slide has happened, more snow may have slid down as they tried to retrieve equipment. How would going sideways help? Surly the advice on going side ways is to get out of an avalanche? Not after its happened? 

January 25, 2023, 06:23:13 PM
Reply #73

GlennM

Did not the footprint evidence show they scattered before joining up. Scattering seems consistent with escaping a slide.

January 25, 2023, 07:23:44 PM
Reply #74

tenne

What I'm saying , or how I perceive it to be, is if the avalanche, snow slip/slide/ snow slab or whatever we call it occurred. That is , if some sort of snow mass collapsed the tent , enough to make them cut their way out of the tent. It does not mean the that the tent should be carried away or even fully collapsed , or any of the many variables of snow coming down a mountain slope can enter our imagination. The snow mass falling on the tent is the trigger. The worst has happened and it did not kill them at the tent location. To go left or right after the suggested avalanche , towards exposed slopes without cover or shelter would in my opinion ,not be the correct thing to do.the snow slide has happened, more snow may have slid down as they tried to retrieve equipment. How would going sideways help? Surly the advice on going side ways is to get out of an avalanche? Not after its happened?

I see what you mean, other than if they suspected they might trigger another one walking away, going sideways wouldn't help at all.

But given how shallow the slope is, why wouldn't at they try to dig out the warm clothing. They knew it was a death sentence to walk away from the tent the way they were dressed. Even if one person tried to dig it out while the rest stood away from the danger would make more sense to me than walking down the hill, half dressed and away from any chance of survival

January 25, 2023, 07:26:01 PM
Reply #75

tenne

Did not the footprint evidence show they scattered before joining up. Scattering seems consistent with escaping a slide.

could be but they were walking and I would think that anyone escaping a slide wouldn't be just walking and no, running or walking down hill isn't consistent with escaping a slide, getting to the side is how we are taught to get away from an avalanche. the snow goes down hill faster than anyone can run, so getting to the side is the best way to get out of it

January 25, 2023, 08:32:58 PM
Reply #76

GlennM

Walking in a blizzard is safer than running, I think.

January 25, 2023, 08:51:34 PM
Reply #77

Ziljoe

I see what you mean, other than if they suspected they might trigger another one walking away, going sideways wouldn't help at all.

But given how shallow the slope is, why wouldn't at they try to dig out the warm clothing. They knew it was a death sentence to walk away from the tent the way they were dressed. Even if one person tried to dig it out while the rest stood away from the danger would make more sense to me than walking down the hill, half dressed and away from any chance of survival

Hold my beer, I'll be back. I'm busy with a RL coverup.

January 26, 2023, 12:13:03 PM
Reply #78

GlennM