April 18, 2024, 07:15:08 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: map on page 23 of Teddy's book  (Read 3976 times)

March 22, 2021, 03:06:11 PM
Read 3976 times

tenne

Not sure how many on here have read or are reading the book but on page 23 there is a map of where the tent, cedar, ravine and bodies are.

Any suppositions why they would take such a zig zag route to safety when there were literally hundreds of trees between them and the tent? They didn't just walk down the slope to the cedar, they  had to go out of their way to get to that particular place.

March 23, 2021, 01:10:49 AM
Reply #1

Teddy

Administrator
For those of you who do not have the book you can still see the map in the Look Inside section of Amazon - scroll down to Maps
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VF5Y5SZ/#reader_B08VF5Y5SZ

March 23, 2021, 04:22:31 AM
Reply #2

tenne

The book is more than well worth the price.

Given that map, I am even more convinced than ever that there is no way they camped on that slope. There is no way people leaving in the dark would walk there, they would go in a straight line to safety
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 04:49:05 AM by tenne »

March 24, 2021, 06:17:32 PM
Reply #3

Manti

Isn't it the case that there was a stream there? I don't know if they knew this, maybe it was entirely under snow, but if not maybe they tried to go around the stream to avoid falling into it through the snow? Or maybe in fact some of them (Rustem, Zina?) actually fell into it...

March 24, 2021, 06:22:43 PM
Reply #4

tenne

Given there was very little light, with the phase the moon was in, plus if it was cloudy it seems extremely strange that they were able to navigate to that area with no flashlight etc. It wasn't a matter of just going straight down the slope.  There were trees all around them and trees that  much closer and easier for the others to find them if they did separate as some people speculate. To have to find some of the party, in the dark, doesn't make sense to me

March 24, 2021, 06:48:07 PM
Reply #5

Manti

I don't think finding each other would have been a problem, they can just go by their ear.. I have posted about this before, depends on wind speed of course but someone shouting at the tent would have been audible all the way from the cedar, unless there was very strong wind.

"Finding" the cedar in the dark is a different matter but that's why I think they didn't.. simply the other trees at the edge of the forest were too young and not good firewood (not dry).. so naturally they would go deeper to find an old tree. Maybe by touch.  I think this can explain some of the injuries by the way, getting scratched all over the face by branches..