Theories Discussion > General Discussion

Why did they turn back the day before?

<< < (4/4)

GlennM:
Charles, your explanation far surpassed mine. I commend you. I am reminded that for most of the trek, they were transported. Only at the end did they have to individually push through on foot and ski.  The group was packing a heavy tent, a metal stove, clothes, food etc. For them, going uphill in the Auspiya was the first real challenge. They were not equal to it as a group, I think. They gained the ridge top and likely were put off by the magnitude of their overall quest. What to do? They cache and dash!  Then they camp and crash. It could very well be that they did not cut their way out of the tent at the end. The handling of it by rescuers and the rifling of the goods within confused the theories. They may have underestimated their solidarity as well as their circumstance. Bad weather became the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. It must have made more sense to run for the valley from the tent since the wind was at their backs, as opposed to dashing back to the cache over the pass.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version