Miscellaneous > Non-DP Related Mysteries!

New development in the "Tamám Shud" mystery

<< < (6/7) > >>

Manti:
So she said she is from Belgium, but spoke German without an accent, and then on the check-in card at the hotel, wrote down a fake Belgian address and then country as "Belgium"?

But that is not the spelling of the country's name in either German, French/Walloon, or Dutch/Flemish (languages spoken in Belgium), or even in Norwegian. Very odd...

RMK:

--- Quote from: Manti on July 29, 2021, 11:03:26 AM ---So she said she is from Belgium, but spoke German without an accent, and then on the check-in card at the hotel, wrote down a fake Belgian address and then country as "Belgium"?

But that is not the spelling of the country's name in either German, French/Walloon, or Dutch/Flemish (languages spoken in Belgium), or even in Norwegian. Very odd...

--- End quote ---
That's a perceptive observation, Manti.

The instructions and prompts on the paper registration form are in Norwegian and English.  I wonder if that psychologically primed her to use the English name of the country when writing out her address? 

Or perhaps, when she memorized that fake address, she assumed she would only need use it within Belgium.  Then, when she filled out the form, she wrote out the address and squeezed in the country name almost as an afterthought (which seems plausible from visual inspection of the form).  And, when she did so, she wasn't sure what the country was called in Norwegian, so she used the English name for it, knowing that the hotel staff spoke English.  I admit, that's not a great explanation though, because we know some of the hotel staff spoke German, and at any rate, the meaning of the German "Belgien" should be plain enough. 

And, from a different angle: assuming she'd only use the fake address inside Belgium doesn't exactly say "competent international spy" to me.  So, maybe she wasn't a spy.  Or maybe she was, but not a very good one, and that's why she ended up dead under mysterious circumstances.

Manti:
Yes I was also thinking that it doesn't look like she was a spy.

A spy would have "real" documents with valid addresses, they wouldn't want to be uncovered when someone simply checks whether the street really exists.And also a spy wouldn't use a black market gun. Although maybe it wasn't her gun.
And anyway they would only be a concern for the Norwegian state's counterintelligence, who I assume would want to capture and question her, instead of murdering her in this way...

Anyway the article is very thorough but one thing I found odd is that there is no mention of CCTV at all. Surely there was CCTV in the hotel and also on the streets and they could at least have an idea of the times when she left/returned to the hotel based on that?

RMK:
Something weird that sticks out in my mind about the Jennifer Fairgate case is the fact that she had rented room 2805 for three nights in a row, but had no payment arranged with the hotel.  No credit card on file, no money down via cash or check, no hold-of-funds on bank card.  Did she have an accomplice (for lack of a better word) among the hotel staff?  Or was there just some dysfunctionality in the hotel's operations at the time, without which the Fairgate case might never have turned into much of a mystery?

--- Quote from: Manti on July 30, 2021, 05:44:54 PM ---Yes I was also thinking that it doesn't look like she was a spy.

A spy would have "real" documents with valid addresses, they wouldn't want to be uncovered when someone simply checks whether the street really exists.

--- End quote ---
Yes, and she did not even consistently spell her surname in the same way.

--- Quote from: Manti on July 30, 2021, 05:44:54 PM ---Anyway the article is very thorough but one thing I found odd is that there is no mention of CCTV at all. Surely there was CCTV in the hotel and also on the streets and they could at least have an idea of the times when she left/returned to the hotel based on that?

--- End quote ---
Another good point.  The lack of any reference to CCTV makes me suspect that the coverage depth of the hotel's CCTV cameras was so limited that it was obvious that the footage wouldn't show anything relevant to the case.  There would be a lot less mystery about the case if there were informative CCTV footage.  In particular, if there was extensive CCTV camera coverage, the hotel might be able to definitively show that no mysterious person exited the building during the time between when security guard Espen Næss descended from the 28th floor after hearing a gunshot, and when the head of security arrived at room 2805.  Naturally, the more extensive the coverage, the easier it would be to rule out the possibility that an assassin (perhaps the mysterious Lois Fairgate?) fled room 2805 and left the hotel during that approximately 20-minute time window.

I should mention here that I do think suicide, which is the official manner of death for both Jennifer Fairgate and the Isdal Woman, is the most likely explanation in both cases.  I have little doubt that the Isdal Woman committed suicide, but I do find it believable that Jennifer Fairgate might have been murdered.

So, if these two women weren't spies, what were they?  One of the more interesting theories I've encountered about the Isdal Woman is that she was a spy, but not on behalf of a nation-state, but rather, of a terrorist organization, such as the Red Army Faction (a.k.a. the Baader-Meinhof Gang).  I've already stated my suspicions that the Isdal Woman was an identity thief and/or con artist--perhaps in the same mould as El Dorado Jane Doe.  As for Fairgate, I guess I'm partial to the theory that she was an expensive prostitute who serviced rich clients from high-end hotels in big cities.  All of this is speculation, of course.

KFinn:
I've often wondered if Fairgate was a human trafficking victim (in the sex industry) rather than a spy.  But, as that was the focus of my master's thesis, I tend toward thinking that when I see unidentified women.  It is completely conjecture on my part, but would explain the lack of identifying information, the inconsistency in spelling and such, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version