Miscellaneous > Non-DP Related Mysteries!

New development in the "Tamám Shud" mystery

<< < (2/7) > >>

Jacques-Emile:
And ski travelers have well toned legs. Is GRU in this storyline as well?

Manti:
I have not heard about this case before...

Upon reading about it, my first intuition would be that it was suicide. Several reasons: The body being in such a public place, wouldn't be anyone's first choice to place someone's body they have just killed. And the piece of paper torn from the book: I think the plausible explanation is that he tore it from his book and placed it in his pocket. A killer wouldn't want to do this, it's something that will potentially help police to find them.

--- Quote from: KFinn on April 25, 2021, 08:28:33 PM ---I would love to see an expert analysis of the code, not to decipher but because the way the letters are formed, to me it doesn't look like someone whose native alphabet is English.  To me, it looks like a native Cyrillic writer.

--- End quote ---
Hm, why Cyrillic? I was wondering about those letters too... The R in the first line looks very natural, and Cyrillic has no R although it has я. But several different A letters are written in different styles... and the S letters in the last line look like the writer was either intoxicated or never wrote an S before...

sigaffa:
The case of the "Somerton Man" has always been a personal favourite - if not for any other reason than I walk past the place where the victim's body was discovered nearly every week!

Professor Derek Abbott, a senior Professor at our local Adelaide University, has been arguing for the exhumation of the "Somerton Man" for a number of years, in order to perform DNA analyses. In a rather bizarre twist to the case, he has a somewhat personal interest in the victim's DNA. It is possible that he is married to the grand-daughter of the "Somerton Man"! See:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-15/a-marriage-and-a-mystery-somerton-man-romantic-twist/11377458?nw=0

for more on this.

Professor Abbott has also undertaken extensive research in an attempt to de-cypher the mysterious code associated with this case.

Kind regards

RMK:

--- Quote from: Manti on April 30, 2021, 09:35:15 PM ---Upon reading about it, my first intuition would be that it was suicide. Several reasons: The body being in such a public place, wouldn't be anyone's first choice to place someone's body they have just killed. And the piece of paper torn from the book: I think the plausible explanation is that he tore it from his book and placed it in his pocket. A killer wouldn't want to do this, it's something that will potentially help police to find them.

--- End quote ---
You make a fair case that it was probably suicide.  A few random thoughts...  First, if it was suicide, why would the Somerton Man seemingly go to such lengths to conceal his identity, but ensure that his body would be found on a public beach?  That seems odd...unless he routinely carried no identification, and routinely removed the labels from his clothes...which brings us back to the possibility of espionage.  Second, if he was murdered, maybe the killer put the "Tamám Shud" slip of paper into the man's pocket, and left him in a public place, to send a message to someone?  Jessie Thompson, perhaps?  She lived less than a kilometer from where the body was found.  Third, whether it was murder or suicide, whoever was responsible made it difficult to determine a cause of death (the official explanation is apparently digitalis overdose, which seems reasonable to me).  Fourth, what if it wasn't homicide or suicide, but a misadventure?  That's hard to believe, though.

--- Quote from: sigaffa on May 14, 2021, 08:40:03 PM ---The case of the "Somerton Man" has always been a personal favourite - if not for any other reason than I walk past the place where the victim's body was discovered nearly every week!

Professor Derek Abbott, a senior Professor at our local Adelaide University, has been arguing for the exhumation of the "Somerton Man" for a number of years, in order to perform DNA analyses. In a rather bizarre twist to the case, he has a somewhat personal interest in the victim's DNA. It is possible that he is married to the grand-daughter of the "Somerton Man"! See:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-15/a-marriage-and-a-mystery-somerton-man-romantic-twist/11377458?nw=0

for more on this.

Professor Abbott has also undertaken extensive research in an attempt to de-cypher the mysterious code associated with this case.

Kind regards

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the link, sigaffa.  Have you ever read any books on this case?  I've only ever read stuff online about it.

sigaffa:

--- Quote from: RMK on May 15, 2021, 03:15:02 PM ---
--- Quote from: Manti on April 30, 2021, 09:35:15 PM ---Upon reading about it, my first intuition would be that it was suicide. Several reasons: The body being in such a public place, wouldn't be anyone's first choice to place someone's body they have just killed. And the piece of paper torn from the book: I think the plausible explanation is that he tore it from his book and placed it in his pocket. A killer wouldn't want to do this, it's something that will potentially help police to find them.

--- End quote ---
You make a fair case that it was probably suicide.  A few random thoughts...  First, if it was suicide, why would the Somerton Man seemingly go to such lengths to conceal his identity, but ensure that his body would be found on a public beach?  That seems odd...unless he routinely carried no identification, and routinely removed the labels from his clothes...which brings us back to the possibility of espionage.  Second, if he was murdered, maybe the killer put the "Tamám Shud" slip of paper into the man's pocket, and left him in a public place, to send a message to someone?  Jessie Thompson, perhaps?  She lived less than a kilometer from where the body was found.  Third, whether it was murder or suicide, whoever was responsible made it difficult to determine a cause of death (the official explanation is apparently digitalis overdose, which seems reasonable to me).  Fourth, what if it wasn't homicide or suicide, but a misadventure?  That's hard to believe, though.

--- Quote from: sigaffa on May 14, 2021, 08:40:03 PM ---The case of the "Somerton Man" has always been a personal favourite - if not for any other reason than I walk past the place where the victim's body was discovered nearly every week!

for more on this.

Kind regards

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the link, sigaffa.  Have you ever read any books on this case?  I've only ever read stuff online about it.

--- End quote ---

Hi RMK ... I am only aware of two books published about the "Somerton Man" case. I have read one with great interest, and abandoned the other.

The first was by Gerry Feltus, who was a police investigator who had responsibility for the case for a number of years. His book was a very well written, fact-based presentation of the case. Regretfully I think it is out of print now, although copies can still be borrowed at a couple of our local libraries. A lot of what was in his book has made it onto on-line sources ... my comment would be that if you see anything on-line referenced directly to him that you can take it as "gospel". He has a small on-line presence - but no updates since 2018.

The second book, by Kerry Greenwood, seems to still be available for purchase. I didn't finish it. I found it dis-organized, poorly researched, and very much written in the vein of sensationalist "crime fiction". For me, it offered nothing that I couldn't find elsewhere, and I couldn't cope with the writing "style".

Like the DPI, on-line sources are probably the best to keep up with the "Somerton Man" case, but like the DPI you need to wade through the information with great care and an open mind (and don't even get me started on the micro-writing  bang1 )

Kind regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version