April 28, 2024, 03:10:50 PM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: A thought experiment regarding the footprints  (Read 4321 times)

January 06, 2023, 10:50:44 AM
Read 4321 times

Manti

Here's an experiment for fellow forum users:
  • What do you think, did one person leave these tracks, or two?
  • Were they wearing boots or only socks? Or perhaps barefoot?
Let me know. I will post the answer and source of the photo later, of course you can do an image search to find the answer yourself but let's not spoil it just yet.

January 06, 2023, 11:50:22 AM
Reply #1

ilahiyol

Two people and they're wearing boots

January 06, 2023, 12:33:47 PM
Reply #2

tenne

that is an excellent experiment but without something to gauge size of the tracks it is quite hard to decide

January 06, 2023, 06:16:29 PM
Reply #3

RMK

I will guess: one person, wearing boots.

January 06, 2023, 09:04:33 PM
Reply #4

Ehtnisba

Here's an experiment for fellow forum users:
  • What do you think, did one person leave these tracks, or two?
  • Were they wearing boots or only socks? Or perhaps barefoot?
Let me know. I will post the answer and source of the photo later, of course you can do an image search to find the answer yourself but let's not spoil it just yet.
I think is 2 persons but never could guess bare feet or shoes. My gut tells me NO shoes. Curious to see what is the real answer.
Homo homini lupus est!

January 06, 2023, 09:27:24 PM
Reply #5

GlennM

This is a great post! It reminds me of the declaration by researchers that they found Yeti prints in the snow, only to discover they were snow leopard prints aged with time and weather. The image could be deceptive. It could be a single walker who made a clever loop. I would expect any structured footwear such as a boot to leave a distinct heel strike. I see none. These traces are so unlike a footprint except for the intervals between them. I am going to offer one bootless person as my guess. Don't keep us in suspense too long!
We don't have to say everything that comes into our head.

January 06, 2023, 11:49:33 PM
Reply #6

Почемучка

Ваша загадка сродни этой
Your riddle is like this
Between was and was not - the river of time. You have to be able to swim - not only in the water ...

The following users thanked this post: Manti

January 07, 2023, 02:03:04 AM
Reply #7

Manti

So the tally is
  • 2 people: ||
  • 1 person: ||
  • in boots: ||
  • no boots: ||
  • other: ||
Very even. This is the source of the photo: https://epod.usra.edu/blog/2015/03/raised-footprints-in-snow.html
The prints are from a deer.

The following users thanked this post: marieuk, RMK, tenne

January 07, 2023, 02:06:35 AM
Reply #8

Manti

Ваша загадка сродни этой
Your riddle is like this

And my guess is: a mountain lion with its cub on the side?

January 07, 2023, 03:51:12 AM
Reply #9

Почемучка

And my guess is: a mountain lion with its cub on the side?
Где мой приз? Я оказалась лучшим следопытом. Я обошла как Шумахер - даже внучку шотлансткого зверолова, мадемуазель Варфоломеевская ночь. Я сразу решила - что это следы животного. Не человека. И привела Вам как намек - следы котов. Как никак  - год Кота.
Where is my prize? I turned out to be the best tracker. I went around like Schumacher - even the granddaughter of a Scottish trapper, Mademoiselle massacre (night) of St. Bartholomew. I immediately decided that these were animal tracks. Not a person. And she brought you as a hint - traces of cats. After all, it's the year of the Cat.

Between was and was not - the river of time. You have to be able to swim - not only in the water ...

January 07, 2023, 08:49:15 AM
Reply #10

tenne

So the tally is
Very even. This is the source of the photo: https://epod.usra.edu/blog/2015/03/raised-footprints-in-snow.html

This was an excellent post, it really shows, IMO, how much the tracks expand when they do that. deer have very small prints, or that photo makes them look bigger maybe?

January 07, 2023, 08:57:20 AM
Reply #11

Зайцев

So the tally is

This was an excellent post, it really shows, IMO, how much the tracks expand when they do that. deer have very small prints, or that photo makes them look bigger maybe?
Это смотря какие олени. Если косуля, то след маленький. А если это северный олень, то след большой. У благородного оленя ещё больше
It depends on what kind of deer. If it is a roe deer, then the footprint is small. And if it's a reindeer, then the trail is big. The red deer has even more
Шапокляк сдвинутая старуха

The most documented version of the "Battle Mole Ricochet" at the link: https://dyatlovpass1.ru/viewtopic.php?id=6#p11

January 07, 2023, 09:17:00 AM
Reply #12

tenne

So the tally is

Это смотря какие олени. Если косуля, то след маленький. А если это северный олень, то след большой. У благородного оленя ещё больше
It depends on what kind of deer. If it is a roe deer, then the footprint is small. And if it's a reindeer, then the trail is big. The red deer has even more

You are absolutely right, I was using the tracks of the white tail and mule deer here. I have never seen a reindeer print or one in real life. Thank you for pointing that out

January 07, 2023, 09:34:30 AM
Reply #13

Manti

Bonus round: Who left these tracks?
  • One person or two?
  • Were they wearing boots or just socks?
  • Or perhaps...

January 07, 2023, 09:40:28 AM
Reply #14

GlennM

A two legged dear or a four legged deer? LOL
Given this bit of subterfuge we must now admit a pack of,wandering Wolverines back into the discussion, yes?

January 07, 2023, 10:58:50 AM
Reply #15

Manti

Given this bit of subterfuge we must now admit a pack of,wandering Wolverines back into the discussion, yes?
I wanted this to be decided democratically, but it didn't really work. Oh well. I say yes.

January 07, 2023, 12:46:35 PM
Reply #16

RMK

Just for reference, here are the official binomial names of the deer species mentioned so far in this thread, along with their common names in English and Russian.

Просто для справки, вот официальные биномиальные названия видов оленей, упомянутых до сих пор в этой теме, наряду с их общими названиями на английском и русском языках.

From the Eastern Hemisphere:
  • Capreolus capreolus - "roe deer" - «Европейская косуля»
  • Rangifer tarandus* - "reindeer" - «Северный олень»
  • Cervus elaphus - "red deer" - «Благородный олень»
From the Western Hemisphere:
  • Odocoileus virginianus - "white-tailed deer" - «Белохвостый олень»
  • Odocoileus hemionus - "mule deer" - «Чернохвостый олень»

*Edit to add: Rangifer tarandus also lives in the Western Hemisphere (North America), where they are commonly referred to as "caribou".

*Редактировать, чтобы добавить: Rangifer tarandus также обитает в Западном полушарии (Северная Америка), где их обычно называют "карибу".
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 12:52:51 PM by RMK »

The following users thanked this post: tenne

January 07, 2023, 01:14:19 PM
Reply #17

tenne

Just for reference, here are the official binomial names of the deer species mentioned so far in this thread, along with their common names in English and Russian.

Просто для справки, вот официальные биномиальные названия видов оленей, упомянутых до сих пор в этой теме, наряду с их общими названиями на английском и русском языках.

From the Eastern Hemisphere:
  • Capreolus capreolus - "roe deer" - «Европейская косуля»
  • Rangifer tarandus - "reindeer" - «Северный олень»
  • Cervus elaphus - "red deer" - «Благородный олень»
From the Western Hemisphere:
  • Odocoileus virginianus - "white-tailed deer" - «Белохвостый олень»
  • Odocoileus hemionus - "mule deer" - «Чернохвостый олень»

thank you, for what its worth, white tailed deer are considered tastier than mule deer.

January 07, 2023, 02:25:30 PM
Reply #18

GlennM

January 07, 2023, 11:00:09 PM
Reply #19

tenne

that would make dealing with the trolls so much easier but sadly, I don't drink. All my meanderings are done with a clear head

January 08, 2023, 01:08:16 AM
Reply #20

Почемучка

that would make dealing with the trolls so much easier but sadly, I don't drink. All my meanderings are done with a clear head

А есть справка от врача - что голова у Вас действительно есть?
Do you have a doctor's certificate - that you really have a head?

January 08, 2023, 01:12:52 AM
Reply #21

tenne

I wanted this to be decided democratically, but it didn't really work. Oh well. I say yes.

You need another option, don't care if people want to or don't want to . I would vote for that one.