April 23, 2024, 08:00:56 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: how many people on here have cross country skied and tented in the winter  (Read 4027 times)

February 04, 2023, 11:41:16 AM
Read 4027 times

tenne

I posted this before but as there are new people on the forum
how many people have gone cross country sking over night for at least one night?
how many people have had to set up a tent in the winter, repacked it and set it back up?
how many people have carried a backpack while cross country skiing?
How many people have had to light a fire at night in the freezing cold out in the bush?

February 04, 2023, 11:42:56 AM
Reply #1

tenne

How many people have done cross country skiing NOT on a groomed run but out in the wilderness?
How many people have had to keep a small stove going all night (anywhere)
How many people have avalanche and or outdoor survival training?

February 04, 2023, 11:45:19 AM
Reply #2

GlennM

Well speaking for myself and my paid assasins,,we prefer the 4 Seasons, Stalingrad.

Remember,,similarity is not identity.
We don't have to say everything that comes into our head.

February 04, 2023, 12:10:06 PM
Reply #3

tenne

We already know you have zero practical experience other than posting but thank you for your answer.

February 04, 2023, 03:07:39 PM
Reply #4

Ziljoe

I have camped in the snow with a stove.

I have kept a small stove in a tent going about 60 nights.

I have limited experience on cross country skiing. Not an over night.

I have camped in snow on mountain side in a military canvas tent with no ground sheet or inner.with holes!

I have repacked a tent an d unpacked it in cold/snow conditions.

Mild training in outdoor survival.

I have lit a fire several times in the cold. Mild frost or freezing at night but lit in daylight. I wouldn't think it would have been an issue at night. Getting the right material helps. Used just a fire steel directly on to natural tinder ready available.

No heavy back pack on skiing though.

The following users thanked this post: Missi, tenne

February 05, 2023, 02:22:30 AM
Reply #5

Manti

I have experience hiking - just walking, not ski hiking - while carrying a soviet made aluminium framed backpack. The frame sometimes touched my back as I walked and after 3 or 4 days, that spot was bleeding. Another person had to carry my backpack until we reached a small village where I bought new frameless one.

I also have experience being tasked with keeping a stove on all night by replenishing the firewood. Not in a tent, in a house. I couldn't... I fell asleep before dawn and this wasn't even on an exhausting hiking trip. 

And another maybe relevant experience: I've seen soviet military issue canvas tents. Probably a newer version than what the Dyatlov group had. They were completely useless. Good in the summer to dine under, it does block out the sun. But they are not properly waterproof which baffled me. Rain would leak in along the seams, and in some places the coating was so poor that water would just seep through the fabric. Some others in our group had US military issue tents. The difference is day and night. Not a single drop of water inside, whereas our stuff got completely soaked after one rainy night.

The following users thanked this post: GlennM, Missi

February 05, 2023, 07:29:50 AM
Reply #6

tenne

I have experience hiking - just walking, not ski hiking - while carrying a soviet made aluminium framed backpack. The frame sometimes touched my back as I walked and after 3 or 4 days, that spot was bleeding. Another person had to carry my backpack until we reached a small village where I bought new frameless one.

I also have experience being tasked with keeping a stove on all night by replenishing the firewood. Not in a tent, in a house. I couldn't... I fell asleep before dawn and this wasn't even on an exhausting hiking trip. 

And another maybe relevant experience: I've seen soviet military issue canvas tents. Probably a newer version than what the Dyatlov group had. They were completely useless. Good in the summer to dine under, it does block out the sun. But they are not properly waterproof which baffled me. Rain would leak in along the seams, and in some places the coating was so poor that water would just seep through the fabric. Some others in our group had US military issue tents. The difference is day and night. Not a single drop of water inside, whereas our stuff got completely soaked after one rainy night.

thank you for responding. that would have made a very unpleasant trip. I've never camped under soviet tents or used the soviet back pack so thank you for giving a very practical insight.

February 08, 2023, 10:55:59 PM
Reply #7

Ehtnisba

Ski instructor
Snowboard freerider
Camped with gas stove ( today the sleeping bags and all clothes are different), . But have know the weather hence in a forest has always been no winds and no more than -10
Homo homini lupus est!

The following users thanked this post: tenne

March 23, 2023, 02:43:44 PM
Reply #8

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient
how many people have gone cross country sking over night for at least one night?
how many people have had to set up a tent in the winter, repacked it and set it back up?
How many people have had to light a fire at night in the freezing cold out in the bush?

It would be very difficult to replicate the exact conditions and all other manner of factors for the 1959 Dyatlov expedition. We are missing many things.
DB

March 24, 2023, 10:09:35 AM
Reply #9

tenne

It would be very difficult to replicate the exact conditions and all other manner of factors for the 1959 Dyatlov expedition. We are missing many things.

I guess I didn't post the question properly, I am wondering about life in general, who has real life experience doing these things. Not trying to recreate what happened. Although in all honesty, I am shocked that no one has gone to the pass about the same time and tried to do what was supposed to be done with the equipment they had on them. That would be really interesting. Not standing on skis in deep snow using a pre made thick board to prove it could be done but standing in the deep snow using a cedar branch, try to light a fire with what is around the cedar and keep it going etc