Theories Discussion > General Discussion

Tent damage - Was it fatal?

(1/4) > >>

neni_cesty_zpet:
I am questioning myself if them tent damage of such scale was fatal, what do you think?  dunno1

Can you imagine some improvised ways of repairing it during the trek and continuing?

What would you do if such tent damage happened during your hike exactly on same spot, supposing all groups members were healthy and in good shape, having
same sort of tools that Dyatlov's group had ?

Is it possible to survive ?

Best regards, neni_cesty_zpet

GlennM:
Who owned this tent? Was it Igor or was it the hiking club? Igor could cut up his own property with impunity, but to destroy club property, he would surely incur a fine. The tent was ruined.  No sane person will cut up their shelter to win an arguement. Further, a stitched up tent is an unreliable tent.  The expedition was over at that point. They should have cut it up for cloaks and returned to their valley cache and gone home. Instead, it seems they were driven from it, or attracted away from it with deadly results. It is said to be cut from the inside and I know of no reports of blood smear nor tree sap on the fabric. Therefore, the hikers set the tent where the rescuers found it.

Manti:
First of all most of the tent damage might be from the searchers who found the tent and dug it out with ice axes... tearing the tent into pieces in the process. And then dragged it over the rocks and ice to the helicopter.

But let's assume the wind tears the tent on the slope with the group inside. They had repaired the tent just the previous night, so assume they have all the necessary tools (needles, strings). The best course of action is for some of them to hold the canvas still and others to sew it. Was this survivable? I don't know... was camping in that location, even with a non-damaged tent survivable, given they couldn't use the stove as the tent profile is too low so there's no safe space to hang it, and it may get to -30C during the night? And that they had no sleeping bags, their coats that they used as mats were wet because of exertion and snow melting on them?

--- Quote from: GlennM on February 13, 2022, 07:38:58 AM ---Who owned this tent? Was it Igor or was it the hiking club?

--- End quote ---
The University sports club owned the tent.

GlennM:
Was there not a suggestion that Igor's jacket was stuffed in a tent hole? Was that jacket found in the snow by the rescuers?  If the hikers could repair the tent once, then why not again? Very mysterious. If the tent was torn as we are told, and if the hikers departed through these tears in the canvas why would rescuers need to cut yet other holes. Makes no sense . It seems a civilized rescuer would try to enter the tent through the front flap and not be so dramatic. Therefore, there is a suspicion that the tent was never so badly damaged, but again we must reason from what was found. What was found was a badly damaged tent. Since the club owned the tent, only the most extreme situation would warrant its destruction. That, for me would be the prospect of immediate death from a snow slip.

Ziljoe:

--- Quote from: GlennM on February 13, 2022, 04:34:32 PM ---Was there not a suggestion that Igor's jacket was stuffed in a tent hole? Was that jacket found in the snow by the rescuers?  If the hikers could repair the tent once, then why not again? Very mysterious. If the tent was torn as we are told, and if the hikers departed through these tears in the canvas why would rescuers need to cut yet other holes. Makes no sense . It seems a civilized rescuer would try to enter the tent through the front flap and not be so dramatic. Therefore, there is a suspicion that the tent was never so badly damaged, but again we must reason from what was found. What was found was a badly damaged tent. Since the club owned the tent, only the most extreme situation would warrant its destruction. That, for me would be the prospect of immediate death from a snow slip.
[/quote

I believe there's a couple of suggestions of Igor's coat or other coats were found around the tent. The jacket stuffed in the hole could have been the hole for the stove flue.

They may have cut new holes because it was 3/4 collapsed. How do you enter a stiff collapsed tent? Some of the cuts may have been done by the searchers. They were looking for students/ friends. Who cares about preserving the condition of a tent when people are missing?

I don't think the Dyatlov group would care about the condition of the tent if they were forced out by what ever reason, nor would I think the searchers cared. It's an old canvas tent. The least of anyone's worries. No one cut the tent up for fun.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version