Theories Discussion > Avalanche

Avalanche Theory for Dyatlov Pass Incident is Bolstered by New Study

<< < (3/11) > >>

Squatch:

--- Quote from: Manti on April 03, 2021, 11:03:27 AM ---
--- Quote from: Squatch on April 02, 2021, 06:49:55 PM ---

The idea is you need the horizontal slits because the howling wind is so bad. Tent fabric helps to block sound, and tent fabric fluttering in strong wind can make noise. And if the wind is that bad it lends support to the idea that two of the hikers needed to be outside to stabilize the tent. This is what is known as "trying to account for all the facts." You can't just cherry pick the facts or nitpick someone else for trying to explain a sequence of events that takes into account all the known information. The horizontal slits are there. My speculation about them offers a potential explanation.

Why walk downslope when escaping an avalanche? Because it is better than walking up to meet it! And where is this safe side that you are referring to? If it was so safe there why didn't they camp there? I doubt that anywhere is safe on that mountain.

Your suggestions presume to know what the hikers would have done in a situation we don't fully understand. When you use words like "They would have..." you are trying to limit the debate to just what you believe they would have done. The evidence is the only thing that can indicate what they did or what they were thinking.

--- End quote ---
Well ok sorry, I'm not trying to nitpick and it's true the horizontal slits are there, not arguing the facts of the case, I just don't think these would have been the most rational reactions from their side. For example when they made the cuts, assuming the wind is so strong they can't hear those outside, they didn't know yet it's an avalanche. So I don't think they would have ruined the tent, their only shelter just to communicate about something before knowing it's something serious.

And I haven't been to the pass (yet!), so all I know is based on personal opinions of those who have been there, but these opinions are most often that it's simply not steep enough and too rocky / uneven for an avalanche to be probable.

But I'm just speculating like everyone else. There are also other facts of the case, for example the searchers were there on the same slope, walked and skied all over it, dug up a lot of areas looking for the Dyatlov Group. And yet they never triggered an avalanche. Maybe the snow conditions were different than at the time of the incident? For sure. Speculation (really, everything is), but based on the fact the bodies were under snow, the tent was under some snow, and it was still winter and no thaw occured between the incident and the search, the snow cover was most likely only thicker than during the incident, making an avalanche more and not less likely.

--- End quote ---

Well, the conditions at the time of the incident are the missing pieces of the puzzle, in my opinion. If this was a natural disaster and not something paranormal or caused by other people (e.g., soldiers) then the weather conditions must have been unbelievably bad. Finding the camp site days or weeks later and drawing conclusions after the fact is not a good way to think about this. There is a reason that mountain has such a bad reputation and putting some sort of weather monitoring station there year round might solve the Dyatlov Pass mystery. We might find out what that mountain is really capable of in terms of natural danger to human life.

If the conditions were extremely bad beyond belief then cutting a few horizontal slits to communicate with the two brave souls outside is not unreasonable. If the tent is ripped away by hurricane force winds then it is probably a death sentence for the hikers. So extreme situations require extreme solutions and communication was probably so critical that a few slits in the tent were considered minor inconveniences. I suppose the slits could have been patched up later, in any case.

If my assumption that the two well-dressed hikers were outside when the terrible event happened is correct, then it begs the question: Why only two? If two were outside then why not three? Or four? If the two were outside to fix the tent then the other seven must have thought the situation was salvageable. But then something happened very quickly to change that.

Squatch:
And one more thought about extremely bad weather the night of the Dyatlov Pass Incident: The hikers went down to the tree line. Why go there if the tent is still intact? The answer is to escape the weather conditions at the site of the tent. It does not explain why the hikers can't get dressed first, but it shows a need to escape the conditions at the tent.

Manti:

--- Quote from: Squatch on April 08, 2021, 03:26:49 PM ---There is a reason that mountain has such a bad reputation and putting some sort of weather monitoring station there year round might solve the Dyatlov Pass mystery. We might find out what that mountain is really capable of in terms of natural danger to human life.

--- End quote ---
There is a (small) weather monitoring station there I think, on top of the Boot Rock.

Squatch:

--- Quote from: Manti on April 08, 2021, 04:32:54 PM ---
--- Quote from: Squatch on April 08, 2021, 03:26:49 PM ---There is a reason that mountain has such a bad reputation and putting some sort of weather monitoring station there year round might solve the Dyatlov Pass mystery. We might find out what that mountain is really capable of in terms of natural danger to human life.

--- End quote ---
There is a (small) weather monitoring station there I think, on top of the Boot Rock.

--- End quote ---
I hope the data is publicly available. I would be interested in seeing it.

My best guess is horrific weather gave the Dyatlov group the impression that an avalanche was starting. Perhaps high winds threw snow on the tent. Searchers took a picture with snow on the tent, although the tent supports were still standing and gave the impression that the snow accumulated there with regular snowfalls. But it looks clumpy to me, like it rolled on the tent or was tossed on the tent.

I think that a real avalanche then happened in the ravine and killed four of the hikers. Three escaped and one of the three (Slobodin) had a head injury.

People seem to have this idea that snow is fluffy like goose down in a bed pillow. They forget that snow is frozen water. And frozen water does not change its weight. Water is heavy stuff. It does not lose weight when changing to a frozen state. So to have a large amount of snow roll over you is to have injuries similar to a car crash. The exception being that the cold from the snow will help stop bruising and give the impression that serious internal injuries had no external trauma indications. Such as in the Dyatlov Incident case.

sarapuk:

--- Quote from: Squatch on April 08, 2021, 03:32:18 PM ---And one more thought about extremely bad weather the night of the Dyatlov Pass Incident: The hikers went down to the tree line. Why go there if the tent is still intact? The answer is to escape the weather conditions at the site of the tent. It does not explain why the hikers can't get dressed first, but it shows a need to escape the conditions at the tent.

--- End quote ---

That doesnt really make much sense though. If the weather was that bad they would still have had time to get ready and collect their belongings and clothes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version