March 28, 2024, 04:37:34 PM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: what resistance to freezing cold, can man hold it without clothes?  (Read 4154 times)

May 28, 2020, 03:03:12 AM
Read 4154 times

mishka

Interesting question, and I am curious, and at the same time very surprised, to know how long with freezing cold the group has to resist, before dying? 1 hour maybe 2 hours maybe more ...? and what temperature -20 or -25 or more ....
after some research and some information some say juste a few minutes? it is true ?
 What do you think ?

May 30, 2020, 11:53:13 AM
Reply #1

RidgeWatcher

I read this years ago and just found it for DPF. This is the best description from a professional adventure writer that I have ever read regarding what and how you feel while freezing to death. Search and Rescue and physicians in the northern climates have a saying: "You aren't dead until your warm and dead" after rescue efforts have been performed. Unfortunately for the Dyatlov tourists they didn't even have a chance for, whatever, reasons.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2152131/freezing-death?utm_medium=social&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=onsiteshare

Enjoy.

June 10, 2020, 05:25:27 PM
Reply #2

Star man

Case-Files Achievement Recipient
There are many variables in determining heat loss.  But in the conditions on the mountain and with no shelter, good clothing and no hope of rescue it would just be a matter of time.  On the mountain I doubt they would have survived more than a couple of hours, in the forest possibly 6 to 8 hours.

Regards

Star man

June 10, 2020, 10:21:04 PM
Reply #3

RidgeWatcher

This!

Just imagine the clothing all before performance synthetics and Gortex. They were really tough and in optimal shape. There was nothing like this type of physical performance test/quest in order to get your university degree in Alaska. My spouse and I built a clumsy igloo in a flat snow field and spent one night in it with 2 dogs. The Dyatlov ski tourists were very tough. Do they still require this in Siberia?