March 28, 2024, 02:08:14 PM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Second Severniye  (Read 8043 times)

February 25, 2018, 10:15:18 PM
Read 8043 times

SteveCalley

The last place on earth.
24 km past 41st Quarter, past Vizhay. I'm not sure what to make of this deserted place, but certainly I mistrust the official explanation. This geological townsite far out of Ivdel had 2000 houses? What a city!  If there were five to a house, that's ten thousand residents!  Ivdel's the same size.  And all geologists?  Something's amiss.
A Siberian town suddenly abandoned a few years ago, falling down, perhaps after six years. What happened around 1953?
Stalin died, Beria soon after. Joy to Rodina to lose those devils!  The gulags were cleared of many prisoners. Was this Ivdel North, perhaps?  What do you think?
Such a place is every Chekist's screaming nightmare. 2000 rotting shacks, each a potential dead drop for spies. One could empty all the artifacts of L'Hermitage into stashes there, and none the wiser.
Note that poor Yuri Yudin's back went out when he hit Second Severniye.  He had to go home but not empty-handed. He had a cache of "rocks."  If there were a need for Yuri to pick something up, whether smuggling or some spy business, this abandoned town is perfect!
And for dead drops in the forest, what better way than Mansi sign!  Cheaper than billboard!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:45:13 PM by SteveCalley »

May 01, 2021, 08:07:39 PM
Reply #1

Manti

2000 houses? Where does this information come from? I always thought there were a lot less...

May 02, 2021, 12:28:33 PM
Reply #2

eurocentric

It wasn't that expansive.

The Group Diary 27/1/59 says "Second North is an abandoned geological site consisting of 20-25 houses."

Yuri Yudin's diary 28/1/59 "We spent the night in the hut of the 2nd Northern settlement. There are so many houses, warehouses, premises, forgotten old vehicles, machine tools. Everything was abandoned since 1952. Here worked а geological expedition. They took out what they could, the rest was written-off and abandoned. The houses are all dilapidated, there is only one with a stove and glass on the windows. The place is picturesque. Lozva river is wide. Lots of lime rocks. Uncle Slava says that in the summer you can cross the river. There are many warm, hot springs. Sagebrush and water is not entirely frozen and there are places under the snow where water is not frozen after which we need to break the ice from the skis."

Lyuda's Diary 28/1/59 "After breakfast, some of the guys Yura Yudin, Kolya and Yura Doroshenko went for the rocks in the core storage, where they decided to collect minerals for the collection. Nothing but pyrite, and there were no quartz veins in the rock."

Group Diary 28/1/59 "After breakfast, some of the guys lead by Yuri Yudin, our well- known geologist, went to look for local minerals. They didn't find anything except pyrite and quartz veins in the rock."

Here's some photo's. I've colourised the first two (said to be circa 1954).

« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 02:04:51 PM by eurocentric »

May 03, 2021, 11:48:50 AM
Reply #3

WAB

It wasn't that expansive.

The Group Diary 27/1/59 says "Second North is an abandoned geological site consisting of 20-25 houses."

This estimate is a little overstated. As we talked to Yuri Yudin in 2009, there were fewer houses that had a roof and walls together. There were 10...12. The rest of the houses were half destroyed or more. Yudin stayed after the group left for the route and looked at the village without rushing. Maybe he, too, was wrong 50 years after he had been there, but he could not be much wrong, because he had already had time to analyze everything well over that time.

Yuri Yudin's diary 28/1/59 "We spent the night in the hut of the 2nd Northern settlement. There are so many houses, warehouses, premises, forgotten old vehicles, machine tools. Everything was abandoned since 1952. Here worked а geological expedition. They took out what they could, the rest was written-off and abandoned. The houses are all dilapidated, there is only one with a stove and glass on the windows. The place is picturesque. Lozva river is wide. Lots of lime rocks. Uncle Slava says that in the summer you can cross the river. There are many warm, hot springs. Sagebrush and water is not entirely frozen and there are places under the snow where water is not frozen after which we need to break the ice from the skis."

Here Yudin is slightly mistaken about the timing. The village was finally abandoned in 1954. This was established later by some researchers on the basis of official documents. But this difference is insignificant.

Lyuda's Diary 28/1/59 "After breakfast, some of the guys Yura Yudin, Kolya and Yura Doroshenko went for the rocks in the core storage, where they decided to collect minerals for the collection. Nothing but pyrite, and there were no quartz veins in the rock."

Yudin was delayed because he was finishing his mineral collection and was waiting for the horse to go.

Group Diary 28/1/59 "After breakfast, some of the guys lead by Yuri Yudin, our well- known geologist, went to look for local minerals. They didn't find anything except pyrite and quartz veins in the rock."

Here's some photo's. I've colourised the first two (said to be circa 1954).

Thanks for a job well done. If you don't mind, I could use some of these two when I need to explain something?
By the way, what link should I put to these images?

The third photo does not show 2 North Village. This is Valentin Yakimenko in expedition 2012 on the way to the pass, when they were in Ushma. Ushma was built after Dyatlov's trip. What he is looking at are the remains of the former free labor camp, which existed from 1965 to 1990

This is a very strange perspective of the view of Severny 2. It was taken from the same point where I took a similar photo in winter 2013 (in March). In winter, it's very hard to see where the main road through the village was and we missed this spot. The banks have been overgrown with large shrubbery since 1959, so we missed it. But why Vladimir Androsov, who was a local there and said he knew the place well, missed the angle, it is not clear to me? I have the impression that Piskareva sent him my picture and he copied it in the summer. Then it turns out that he does not know this place. Because we could not go half kilometer downstream in winter, because there was a lack of time (the day in winter is short) and the temperature was about -30C (-22F). He was on a motorboat and there is a lot of daylight time in the summer - it's a northern area there and the day to night ratio is different in summer and winter.
I have some later winter photos, but there are big bushes from the river bank from the angle shown in the helicopter photo. So this photo is not very informative.

May 04, 2021, 09:20:50 AM
Reply #4

eurocentric

Thanks for the information WAB.

I had wondered why the third photo showed the huts and then in the next photo the site seemed to have been cleared - so it's two different places.

Found the photo's in a Polish forum. Post #410 -

http://forum.fortyck.pl/topic/1156-tragedia-na-przeleczy-diatlowa-12-luty-1959-r/page-21

If you click on the colourised images there should be a permanent link in the address bar. They're both uploaded to the image server this site uses. Feel free to reuse them.