Theories Discussion > General Discussion

Flashlights

(1/10) > >>

Marchesk:
I've only seen mention that the one flashlight was found — the Chinese flashlight near the flap of the tent (or perhaps on top) was found turned off, but was still working when turned on.

Clark Wilkins has one of the hikers discard another flashlight on the way down to the trees when it stopped working. Was this flashlight or any other flashlights found?

Why would they not take the one left at or on the tent? Was this because something at the entrance was blocking their way, forcing them to cut out and flee without taking anything?

And was a compass or anything else that would help them navigate found amongst the bodies, or did they just leave all tools behind?

At any rate, the Chinese flashlight at the tent was not covered in any snow, which is one more reason to think there was no avalanche.

cz:
Another flashlight was indeed found a few hundred meters down the slope. It was not in working condition, and it is assumed they disposed of it when it ran out of energy.

I think the question why they did not take the Chinese one belongs into the same category as the question why the left their jackets, boots, and so on in the camp. Nobody knows so far.

I believe that it was Clark Wilkins who suggested that a helicopter may have blown off the snow from the flashlight at the tent during reconnaissance. But well, it remains a mystery of unknown significance.

I do not know whether they had a compass. The night was moonless and it must have been pitch black. Not sure whether there were stars or cloud cover. How they made their way is also a question, which keeps crossing my mind. Sometimes when it gets really dark I ask myself whether this was how it was on the mountain that night...

Loose}{Cannon:
Im sure they had at least one compass for the trip, however there wasn't one found on any of them.  It may be listed in the items that came out of the tent?

In any case, I'm sure they knew exactly where they were and where the closest tree coverage was just by observing the map in the days prior.... especially when before cresting over that ridge.  Oddly enough, the cedar2 and ravine4 were found exactly on track with their original route if they had not deviated from that originally planned route. 

cz:
Yep. No compass on their bodies but several mentioned in the inventory as one would expect on such a trip.

--- Quote from: Loose}{Cannon on May 05, 2018, 07:21:37 PM ---In any case, I'm sure they knew exactly where they were and where the closest tree coverage was just by observing the map in the days prior.... especially when before cresting over that ridge.  Oddly enough, the cedar2 and ravine4 were found exactly on track with their original route if they had not deviated from that originally planned route.

--- End quote ---

I have no doubt that they knew all this. However, I know many places very well and nonetheless I have trouble finding my way when it is absolutely dark. The flashlight might have helped them a little depending on weather. Likewise, the night sky has a certain brightness even without the moon primarily with no clouds. At any rate, the slope would have indicated the "way down".

It is a remarkable incident that the were found lying on their initial route...

Mash:

--- Quote from: Marchesk on May 05, 2018, 05:25:50 AM ---I've only seen mention that the one flashlight was found — the Chinese flashlight near the flap of the tent (or perhaps on top) was found turned off, but was still working when turned on.

Clark Wilkins has one of the hikers discard another flashlight on the way down to the trees when it stopped working. Was this flashlight or any other flashlights found?

Why would they not take the one left at or on the tent? Was this because something at the entrance was blocking their way, forcing them to cut out and flee without taking anything?

And was a compass or anything else that would help them navigate found amongst the bodies, or did they just leave all tools behind?

At any rate, the Chinese flashlight at the tent was not covered in any snow, which is one more reason to think there was no avalanche.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: cz on May 05, 2018, 03:11:49 PM ---Another flashlight was indeed found a few hundred meters down the slope. It was not in working condition, and it is assumed they disposed of it when it ran out of energy.

I think the question why they did not take the Chinese one belongs into the same category as the question why the left their jackets, boots, and so on in the camp. Nobody knows so far.

I believe that it was Clark Wilkins who suggested that a helicopter may have blown off the snow from the flashlight at the tent during reconnaissance. But well, it remains a mystery of unknown significance.

I do not know whether they had a compass. The night was moonless and it must have been pitch black. Not sure whether there were stars or cloud cover. How they made their way is also a question, which keeps crossing my mind. Sometimes when it gets really dark I ask myself whether this was how it was on the mountain that night...

--- End quote ---

The flashlights were also discussed in a german  forum. I developed my own theory out of this: A flashlight was found on the tent. The other flashlight was found on the way between tent and cedar. I don`t think the flashlights were forgotten or lost. I think it was intended by the Dyatlov group to lie them down there. The group has made it conscious to have the option to return to the tent again. The flashlights should mark the way back.

About compass: I also believe that the group always knew exactly where they were.

Look here (from the autopsy report Zolotarev):

"There is a compass in the left hand of the body." (Sheet 349, last sentence of the penultimate paragraph, https://dyatlovpass.com/case-files-349-351?rbid=17743 )

According to the autopsy report they found a compass at Zolotarev

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version