Theories Discussion > General Discussion

What's The Worst Thing They Could Do?

(1/3) > >>

CalzagheChick:
My ex-husband, the cardio-thoracic surgeon, and I used to have a routine. He LOVED watching survival shows like Naked & Afraid, Dual Survivor, and anything with Bear Grylls. We used to watch these shows on our very rare off moments we'd have to share together. I personally am not a survivalist type of person. If the world collapsed today and there was no Walmart to get groceries from, I'm completely useless. John, however, came from a very poor family in the southern US. He's what you'd call a country boy through and through--Blue collar background with a white collar education/profession. He grew up with alcoholic parents that pretty much ignored their dozen kids. The kids certainly had to fend for themselves so they all know how to grow crops, hunt, fish, camp, and otherwise live off grid. I used to love that about him actually.

So getting to the point, in all of these survival shows, they mostly go about showing survival in tropical/subtropical climates because no TV station wants to stick two people out in Siberia naked and risk that lawsuit. It's much more predictable to stick naked people in hot climates and tell them to survive for 28 days on inhospitable islands or alligator-infested swampland. Exposure in these climates would be less detrimental than if they were dropped off in Siberia.

Only a few survivalists actually go into colder climates like that of Croatia or Canada... the thing is when I've watched these survival tests in freezing tundras, almost all of them have said the same thing:

The worst thing you can do in a survival situation in below freezing temperatures is to break a sweat.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised nobody has brought this up before. I've never been comfortable with the den because if they actually built that den, they'd have certainly broken a sweat doing so turning their already poor odds to lethal. But they'd HAVE to have known that!

So I don't get it.

Armide:
I actually love hiking and I've had my fair share of winter hikes, this hits home a bit for me  tongue2 I've never been outside in the Ural Mountains half-naked running away from an 'unknown compelling force' or anything, but sweating even if you're not at risk for hypothermia just feels super uncomfortable in the cold, and people usually start unzipping their jackets after a certain amount of effort even if they're in the cold. Dyatlov was found with his coat open, maybe he broke a sweat trying to walk up the hill and knew this, so he unbuttoned it? It could be a possible explanation for some details

Loose}{Cannon:
Yup, I have done my share of physical activity in freezing temperatures and have gone through cold climate training in the USMC.  The problem with sweating is your clothing becomes saturated and once you come to a rest and your internal body temperature stabilizes, the wet under clothing freezes which actually starts to drag your core temperature down.  In other words, its a bad idea to dunk your clothing in water, put it on your body, and then step out into freezing temperatures.

There are two main way to combat this issue.

#1  Take off or unbutton layers in efforts to dry out while working/moving.
#2  When you stop working/moving, strip down, air out, and dry clothing.  Ever wonder how Rustem burned his jacket?   

WAB:

--- Quote from: Loose}{Cannon on May 08, 2018, 01:07:53 PM ---  Ever wonder how Rustem burned his jacket?

--- End quote ---

It is absolutely everyday occurence on similar travel at that time - 60 years ago.
Sitting at a fire, it is difficult to follow when the small piece of coal will get on such jacket which "TELOGREIKA (in Russan) - Padded jacket" is called. It is from words "to heat a body" (to keep heat more precisely).

The padded jacket consists of a cotton cloth outside and from within, and its interiors consist of cotton cotton wool. When the piece of coal will get to it, it starts to smoulder. To extinguish it it is impossible. It is possible to remove only a piece of cotton wool which smoulder. But it be removed should only completely.

That is my old padded jacket where the small piece of coal has got, but was possible to find at once this place and to remove a smoulder piece.

My piece of coal has got in front, therefore it was possible to find at once. If it gets behind (Rustem could sit a back to a fire) it would be found out very much late.
In a padded jacket it is visible nothing, therefore to find place which burns is almost impossible. It is especially difficult, if long it is not possible to define that already there is a process to smoulder. Therefore such padded jackets burn out very big pieces. As in that picture Slobodin`s padded jacket on February, 01st 1959.

CalzagheChick:
That photo always makes me sad. I picture him posing in this ridiculously burned up jacket with that face and everybody giving him grief and laughing about it including whoever took the photo trying to hold still from laughing to get a clear picture.

I've never really considered Rustem's burnt up jacket as evidence to anything. I've never thought of it beyond a funny picture really. A picture taken for the hikers to remember this trip with the fondest of memories.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version