Theories Discussion > General Discussion

Being realistic

(1/15) > >>

GKM:
How many people on this forum, or in the world, would set up camp at 3000 feet, in minus 20 degrees, only an estimate, with high winds, only probable,  and then leave their only shelter to walk, lightly dressed and without proper footwear, a mile down the slope to a forest? A place where they could have originally set up the tent and been much more comfortable. Nine intelligent, experienced, hikers did the exact opposite of what would have been expected, even for a group of novice hikers, which they certainly were not.

GKM:
Let's continue. They were afraid of something in the forest? No Evidence of that, none whatsoever. Igor did not want to lose the height they had gained so he camped on the ridge? It was only a mile, easily made up for with an earlier start the next morning. It was planned that way? I simply do not believe that. Not a single one of them could have wanted to camp on that exposed ridge. They needed it for a Category 3 rating? No, they did not. It was already a Category 3 even without a cold overnight stay on the ridge. Absolutely nothing about camping on that ridge makes sense. There was no way these experienced hikers and reasonably intelligent people camped there.

DAXXY:
It was normal practice to camp above the treeline if the expedition required it.  They were going to Mt. Ottorten 10km away the next day along the ridge. They made their store before climbing.  The previous years winter expedition was also high.

January 1958 six students from Sverdlovsk went to ascend winter Manaraga. They went to the eastern slope of the Urals, to the Severnaya Naroda base, in extreme conditions, without sleeping bags and a stove.

https://dyatlovpass.com/gallery-1958-Subpolar-Ural?lid=1

Star man:
GKM, I am with you.  What is your assessment of what happened to the hikers?  Explosion?

Regards

Star man

RidgeWatcher:

--- Quote ---How many people on this forum, or in the world, would set up camp at 3000 feet, in minus 20 degrees, only an estimate, with high winds, only probable,  and then leave their only shelter to walk, lightly dressed and without proper footwear, a mile down the slope to a forest? A place where they could have originally set up the tent and been much more comfortable. Nine intelligent, experienced, hikers did the exact opposite of what would have been expected, even for a group of novice hikers, which they certainly were not.
--- End quote ---

One of my first posts on this website was regarding where they camped on Kholat Syakhl that fateful night. None of the Dyatlov hikers had been to that mountain prior to this trip. I will never believe they camped, if they even did, where the tent was found by their own free will. Regardless of the elevation the tent was found at, they supposedly climbed up there with limited daylight and were not going to take the hour to set up the stove? In that same amount of time they could have camped in the Cedar treeline. You see Dyatlov didn't know if there was a cliff or an ice ridge that they would have to go around in the morning to get to the Lovza river and Otorten. Dyatlov wouldn't have taken the hikers up there on the premise of some unknown morning advantage without knowing what Kholat Syakhl's north side difficulties entailed. By the time they reached the Dyatlov Pass/Mountain area it was already snowing too heavily, at least according to the photos (if real), to determine their trek in the morning. I am convinced Dyatlov would have never gambled on that unknown strategy.

--- Quote ---GKM, I am with you.  What is your assessment of what happened to the hikers?  Explosion?

Regards

Star man
--- End quote ---

I went to prove the explosion theory wrong but I learned something that was surprising. Semyon and Lyuda's Flail Chest kept me away from determining the explosion scenario but I read that when Flail Chest is seen in explosion events it is not a primary injury but a secondary injury. That means when one body flies into another body, or a piece of debris is flies at a body. This is one way Flail Chest could have happened with limited external damage to the skin. An explosion event like Zina's could have wrapped her ski pole around her right torso to cause that deep tissue injury around her waist.

I keep asking myself this question: Disappearing act versus Re-staging act, why?

What, where, why, how and when caused it to be restaged? Was this ineptitude on a local level or initial decision making on a much higher level?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version