March 28, 2024, 10:16:34 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Weather report Burmantovo February 1959  (Read 9849 times)

April 30, 2019, 04:27:29 PM
Read 9849 times

ikemitsu

Do any transcript or even a translation exist of the "Weather report Burmantovo February 1959" https://dyatlovpass.com/burmantovo-weather-february-1959?

May 16, 2019, 12:49:34 PM
Reply #1

WAB

Do any transcript or even a translation exist of the "Weather report Burmantovo February 1959" https://dyatlovpass.com/burmantovo-weather-february-1959?

Dear ikemitsu !
If I correctly understand, you want learn weather data on Dyatlov pass during events? But data only on of Burmantovo meteorological station will not give any helpful information. Weather on the pass differs even that is in 20 km from it much. To Burmantovo meteorological station there is a distance is ~65 km on straight line, the difference in height of arrangement of places makes more semi-kilometer (> 500 metres). In addition it is necessary consider that the arrangement of Burmantovo meteorological station to the east from pass creates
difference in temperature (there colder on the average) and smaller wind speeds.
For example, in January 2015 when we measured speed of wind and temperature on pass, we received (on the average) to nearby-20C …-25C and a wind from 15 to 30 m/s, and the weather archive gives on the average-4C …-20C and wind speed 2 … 3 m/s.
Unfortunately still there is no sufficient statistics of weather on pass that would be possible even on several (I took 9) meteorological stations (both with east, and from West side from Main Ural Ridge), extrapolation method receive truthful enough picture weather for the period of events.
With some share of confidence it is possible  consider that at that time on place where there was tent there was wind speed about 15 … 18 m/s and temperature nearby-15C …-18C. On cedar place, wind practically was not present, and the temperature could be-20C …-24C.
The information about weather on February, 01st and 02 1959 can be found, for example, on site of the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO).

June 02, 2019, 10:58:47 PM
Reply #2

ikemitsu

Thanks WAB for the reply! I'm not exactly trying to find out the actual weather in the pass. This might sound strange, but I'm only looking for information that was present during the original case inspection in 1959. That's why I would want to know what was in this notebook. So if it's a weather report from Burmantovo, that's fine. It's irrelevant if it's helpful for solving the case, which it obviously isn't.

I've checked the World Meteorological Organisation site before but I can't find the detailed historical data search anywhere...

June 05, 2019, 12:37:06 PM
Reply #3

WAB

Thanks WAB for the reply! I'm not exactly trying to find out the actual weather in the pass. This might sound strange, but I'm only looking for information that was present during the original case inspection in 1959. That's why I would want to know what was in this notebook. So if it's a weather report from Burmantovo, that's fine. It's irrelevant if it's helpful for solving the case, which it obviously isn't.

I've checked the World Meteorological Organisation site before but I can't find the detailed historical data search anywhere...

Unfortunately I cannot answer to you today. But I have written down your questions  (about Burmantovo and about Ivdel) and I will answer as soon as I can it make.

June 05, 2019, 01:02:34 PM
Reply #4

ikemitsu

Thank you so much WAB if you take the trouble answering me. I really appreciate it.

June 06, 2019, 12:24:04 PM
Reply #5

WAB

Dear ikemitsu !
I have not so well understood about what “original case inspection” you speak?
I think that it has been told about survey on February, 26th when Boris Slobtsov and Michael Sharavin have found tent for the first time.
Then to me it is not clear, why it is necessary search for weather forecast in Burmantovo, instead use their memoirs of two. I with it spoke about their search much and they spoke about weather at that time.
When they have come to tent there was temperature as -15C …-18C, there was small wind and the sun through clouds shone. Visibility was good. They saw Otorten and surrounding mountains, as how much it was possible.
In criminal case is not present separate record about weather. There are contemporary records on meteorological station of Burmantovo for February 1959 which were in documents of search group (but not in criminal case!) here the reference to this leaf https://dyatlovpass.com/burmantovo-weather-february-1959 . However I should repeat that weather in Burmatovo and weather in mountains absolutely different. Therefore this data cannot help with weather estimation in any other place in any way, except the settlement Burmantovo.
This leaf contains the information not as the forecast, and the fact sheet which were fixed by meteorological station.

Site NOOA/WMO ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/gsod/  contains the necessary information on number of meteorological stations where there is an information for that period, but there it is necessary to know indexes of these meteorological stations. I have found these indexes and the information on meteorological stations: Ivdel, Niaksimvol, Syktyvkar, Troitsko-Pechorsk, Ukhta, Cherdyn, Saranpaul. They are located round a place of events, therefore on them it is possible to analyse all field of parametres of weather and to approximate conditions on a certain place.
I should warn that there all parametres are resulted in units accepted in the USA, therefore for understanding of Europeans, it is required translate Farenheit degrees to Celsius degrees, speed of wind from sea knots (kt) to m/s, pressure from pd/sqv in to mm mercury column or Paskals, height of snow from inches to mm or sm and etc.
The basic condition for information search - it is necessary know meteorological indexes of these meteorological stations. I have found it in the Internet, however now I cannot repeatedly find them because I now have weak Internet now. Possibilities of information search both in volume, and on speed of the traffic are very limited.
It is very tiresome and long work, but for the person familiar with bases of meteorology it is quite possible.

June 06, 2019, 01:36:26 PM
Reply #6

ikemitsu

Thank you WAB for your reply. With "original case inspection" I mean what the investigators of this case found out about the weather on 30th Jan to 2nd Feb. There aren't any weather reports attached to the original case file, but I would think they must have asked from weather stations for information. After all, the weather was considered a major factor.

I looked at the NOAA data but I don't know how to open files with .op extension. I need to dig deeper. However, it's the contemporary records that interest me mainly - taken that it's those what the investigators considered. But if that is not available, I find the NOAA data useful too.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 12:16:37 PM by ikemitsu »

June 11, 2019, 08:40:16 AM
Reply #7

ikemitsu

I managed to open an .op file with RStudio app. I'm still missing the index file telling which ID corresponds to which weather station though.

June 11, 2019, 09:27:14 AM
Reply #8

ikemitsu

June 11, 2019, 01:28:49 PM
Reply #9

ikemitsu

There's only one entry for Burmantovo in the NOAA database for 1959, and it's for November. Ivdel and Cherdyn are covered well. Nothing for Nyaksimvol.