March 28, 2024, 08:24:52 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: The flashlight  (Read 2704 times)

November 30, 2022, 07:25:34 AM
Read 2704 times

amashilu

Global Moderator
Let's talk about the flashlight for a moment. It is a solid piece of evidence and should be discussed, particularly by those who are convinced that no other people visited this site at the time of the incident. All evidence is important and must be somehow accounted for in any plausible theory.

A flashlight was found on top of the tent, manufactured in China. It was found by searchers with no snow on it.

If you do not believe any other people were at the site after Feb. 2, until the searchers came on February 26, where did this flashlight come from?

The following users thanked this post: tenne

November 30, 2022, 07:46:10 AM
Reply #1

GlennM

The flashlight serves no useful purpose for a criminal. It is neither effective as a weapon against nine people, not is is a useful signaling device. Why would a criminal show the doomed the way back to their shelter? Illogical! Were the murderers careless? I would say a vigorous "yes", except that if a criminal has his hands full with a flashlight, then he necessarily doesn't have hands free for aggression, nor defense. Finally, I find it comical to think that a criminal would have the courtesy to put a guiding light on in order to show 9 adults a way down the snowy hillside. In short, the flashlight has no bearing on that happened next. Rather, it was left at the site at the time of the discovery of the wreckage of the tent. The only mystery is why the owner didn't claim it.

November 30, 2022, 09:48:06 AM
Reply #2

ilahiyol

The group had left the tent without even their shoes. It would be wrong to say why they didn't take the flashlight. However, there was not a single flashlight in the group. Probably 3-5. In my opinion, the Mansi found the group earlier. And they may have swapped the two Yuri and some of the items. And they may have stolen some items as well. These are possible. Because between February 1st and February 26th, there is a big time frame of 25 days. Mansi or other people may have found them in these 25 days. Probably other people found the two Yuri before. And they may have burned it in the fire. Because I read somewhere before that the fever is a few days old. In fact, the KGB may have found them before. This is also possible.

November 30, 2022, 02:48:27 PM
Reply #3

GlennM

There is merit to your supposition. Taking from the dead while not disturbing them is predictable enough. Even the rescue team swiped the vodka from the tent. I do not think the old saw " the murderer always return to the scene of the crime " has any merit. I do think the Mansi could very well have come across the tragedy and took something. However, the Mansi would have also left something behind. It could be prints, tracks, a can of condensed milk...something. It was not discovered by the rescuers.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 04:58:32 PM by GlennM »

November 30, 2022, 08:34:18 PM
Reply #4

ilahiyol

If the Mansi have stolen something, for example, knives, cameras, flashlights, they don't want it to be known. And they may have completely erased their traces. After all, they're master hunters... and trail experts. They can destroy their tracks in the snow. And if there were unusual sounds and images on the mountain on the night of the incident, the Mansi must have noticed it. And by daylight they must have gone there. And in particular, they must have found the two Yuri and the tent. And they must have taken some useful items and left. Of course they couldn't admit it. Because they were afraid of being killed. They could be considered murderers.

November 30, 2022, 10:33:58 PM
Reply #5

GlennM

The previous post opens up a potential lead. Could it be possible that even today,,after all  this time,,there might be DP9 property kept in some Mansi household?

December 03, 2022, 07:46:26 AM
Reply #6

Manti

Lots of things were found with no snow on them. As long as the object is "tall" enough, the wind will blow away any snow. Treetops, the Mansi "chum" construction with the antlers, the top of the tent itself. All clear of snow. If the flashlight was on top of the already snowless protruding tent top, for example hanging there on a "lanyard", it's not suspicious at all. We don't really have enough detail, no photo, and it would make all the difference.

December 03, 2022, 02:45:41 PM
Reply #7

Ziljoe

The complications of the torch on the tent was it was found on top of snow that was on top of the tent. Just another frustrating report.

December 03, 2022, 04:19:27 PM
Reply #8

GlennM

Would anyone care to comment of the significance of this flashlight? What does it rule in or rule out regarding the incident? I will only add that there was a saying among soldiers that at night you never let three men light cigarettes from a,single match.

December 03, 2022, 06:20:00 PM
Reply #9

Игорь Б.

В нахождении фонарика на снегу нет ничего удивительного. Просто однажды его переместило порывом ветра с чистого участка тента, где его обронили дятловцы на участок тента уже занесённого снегом.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 06:24:37 PM by Игорь Б. »
An example of the impact of chemical weapons of a skunk (wolverine) in a tent:
http://1723.ru/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=5133&view=findpost&p=117054

December 04, 2022, 06:01:41 AM
Reply #10

ilahiyol

We know that the Mansi are hunters and often travel in the mountains. And it's very likely that within 25 days they'll be on the Mountain of the Dead. And they found the dead and made some changes. They must have left that lantern in the tent as well. They must have found it in the daytime because they left the lantern. They must have brought the two Yuri's side by side. Because it is absolutely impossible for them to die like this. Most likely, both Yuri were killed while warming up in the fire. The burns are proof of that. Then the Mansi took them away from the fire and put them side by side.

December 04, 2022, 11:00:12 AM
Reply #11

GlennM

If Mansi rearranged the bodies but did not inform authorities, that would be counter productive if they wanted no involvement. If Mansi took or left artifacts, that become known. There was a manifest. It sounds like this is guilt by association, not guilt by malice.

December 04, 2022, 11:01:40 AM
Reply #12

Manti

Perhaps some Mansi hunters found some of the bodies before the search. This wouldn't influence the case in any significant way

December 04, 2022, 11:15:03 AM
Reply #13

GlennM

It would be deucedly hard for anyone living out there as the Mansi did to come upon resources or gossip fodder and keep it to themselves. 10 days is an eternity if you have a secret to share. I would also add that if any of them thought they could make a ruble or two by providing information, they wouldn't hesitate.

To make this work,the Mansi would find the bodies, find the tent, say nothing, leave nothing and take nothing. I can not imagine myself in that situation going ,"Hmm, too bad for them. Better get home for dinner".

I think the Mansi are and were a target of opportunity. I don't even know one!

December 04, 2022, 08:50:41 PM
Reply #14

ilahiyol

It would be deucedly hard for anyone living out there as the Mansi did to come upon resources or gossip fodder and keep it to themselves. 10 days is an eternity if you have a secret to share. I would also add that if any of them thought they could make a ruble or two by providing information, they wouldn't hesitate.

To make this work,the Mansi would find the bodies, find the tent, say nothing, leave nothing and take nothing. I can not imagine myself in that situation going ,"Hmm, too bad for them. Better get home for dinner".

I think the Mansi are and were a target of opportunity. I don't even know one!
Yes, it doesn't affect much, but it clears our confusion. However, it was the Mansi who were the first to show the location of the tent. And they were the ones who found the 4 dead in the cave again. These show us that the Mansi found them before!!! Of course, it's not definitive proof. But they are very important tips. However, the Mansi could get the rubles they wanted by giving them various furs. And a smart, vigilant hunter or two from the Mansi knew this secret. And they may have kept it a secret. Because the Russians at that time had great anger. And at the slightest doubt they could kill the Mansi. And there is the brutality of the administration and the circumstances of the time. The Mansi may have been terrified and agreed not to say anything. This is very likely...

December 04, 2022, 09:00:10 PM
Reply #15

ilahiyol

If Mansi rearranged the bodies but did not inform authorities, that would be counter productive if they wanted no involvement. If Mansi took or left artifacts, that become known. There was a manifest. It sounds like this is guilt by association, not guilt by malice.
Also, the Mansi must have encountered many dead in those mountains. The Dytlov group was not the first. It wouldn't be in the end. So for them, finding the dead was something that could be considered ordinary. So they relocated the bodies and took some of their belongings. They dared it. Because they have done this many times before. And I think they even partially know what attacked them. But they did not dare to say it. Because at that time all their families and villages were facing annihilation!!! If it turned out for sure that the tent was torn from the outside, all the Mansi would have been killed!!! Torn internally saved the Mansi. The Mansi were this close to death. That's why they didn't explain much.

December 05, 2022, 07:44:20 PM
Reply #16

GlennM

Where are those flashlights today?