April 18, 2024, 09:21:14 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Anti-gravitational rigor mortis  (Read 10011 times)

July 24, 2022, 07:24:42 PM
Reply #60

Ziljoe

But I doubt there would be bare bedrock at the location of the ravine 4 as you suggest.
If there's not bare rock but a thick layer of snow, how did Nick sustain his head injury?I don't think he could have moved much afterwards, so it must have happened close to the ravine.

In fact, even if there is bare rock and he happens to trip and hit his head, I have never heard of such a serious injury just from tripping.I have been thinking a lot about the DPI and I think this is one of the keys to the mystery.It had to be an impact of considerable force. It was compared at the time to a car crash injury.There are many deadly dangers in the area in winter, but very few that can crush a skull like that.

Not a falling tree, because where has it gone then? Did someone lift the tree? It's a stretch.I think there are only three somewhat viable explanations of Tibo's in-vivo skull injury:
  • Hitting a rock or large tree at speed while being carried by an avalanche.
  • Being dropped from height and hitting a rock or tree branch. This requires several unlikely assumptions, who would carry them on a helicopter (while Tibo is alive), why, and then why would they drop them?
  • A physical attack. I don't think there are any signs of a bear attack. But it had to be something powerful. Either a human with a weapon or a moose kicking him in the head, probably when already on the ground.
All of these only pertain to Tibo's injury or possibly also the rib injuries of Lyuda and Semyon. But I don't think the mystery can be solved without addressing these. Whatever the explanation for leaving the tent in the state they did, is almost irrelevant. It was risky but it wouldn't necessarily have led to death and also is a separate event. But perhaps related.

Hi Manti,

I believe the concept from Igor's theory is they found a snow cave /arch / natural hole at the ravine . I'm not fully understanding the details but my interpretation would be that they found a snow cave, entered it and by the looks of it , without other human intervention , decided to take shelter.  Given the possibility of them being under a considerable snowvdrift , and had it collapsed it certainly gives an explanation for the injuries of where they were found. Broken ribs along a straight line, this is important because if they were getting hit by a stick or jumped on , I don't think the ribs would break in that way, secondly , nicks head injury fits within the same concept. The fracture is on the side of which he is head is to the ground. The blow comes from the down force of the snow above and his head is on the ground with ( close to bare ground .

I do have  problem with any one deciding to llye on the ground without insulation but the three injuries of two flail chest injuries and the skull/ neck injury , do lend  sense to a snow collapse.

July 25, 2022, 07:59:33 PM
Reply #61

Manti

Hi Ziljoe!

I think this is plausible up to a certain point, they would seek shelter from the cold via whatever means after all.
However, I just can't see how a snow collapse could have caused that skull fracture. It wasn't a metres tall snow cave, just a space they could crawl into. So even if the snow collapsed, it wouldn't have  enough space to reach a high speed.
Moreover, the best snow shelter is one that has snow at the bottom as well, which acts as an insulator. But in that case, the collapse would push them into that snow, perhaps suffocate them, but wouldn't cause that injury.

If instead they were lying directly on rocks, this raises the question of either how they dug that deep, and why, or if this was a natural cave formed by the stream, were they crawling and lying in running water? Not the best choice when looking to escape the cold.
And in this case, the "flooring" made out of branches and clothing, was for a different den? If the collapse crushed Thibo's skull surely it would also have broken those branches.

The following users thanked this post: Ziljoe

July 26, 2022, 02:14:21 PM
Reply #62

Ziljoe

Hi Manti.

I agree with your observations. I have read just other day that the force would have several tons . ( Can't remember the link but could find it)

I don't think they would lie on rocks although the situation and exhaustion might have forced the situation but definitely not running water. They would be better standing in the wind. I is reported as being a skull fracture and there may have been a layer of snow ( a few inches perhaps and depending on the flow of the stream at the time , it may have not been significant. All part of the puzzle but at the moment , I believe those injuries were most likely caused by a collapse.

The problem I have with the ribs being broken by others is that it's highly unlikely they would be on straight lines. Plus there's easier ways to kill. Just my thoughts.

December 06, 2022, 02:37:00 PM
Reply #63

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient
Anti Gravitational Rigor Mortice. An interesting Post. Not so sure animals have anything to do with it though. The positions of the bodies when found are a continuing mystery like much else about this case. Note that facial expression on at least one of the group seems to show extreme fright ! ?
DB