Theories Discussion > The stove

There could’ve been..

<< < (3/5) > >>

Marchesk:

--- Quote from: TDGS7147 on November 20, 2017, 06:44:57 PM ---Eichar's novel states
'The stove is in the center of the tent, not yet assembled, and an open flask of cocoa sits frozen nearby as if waiting to be reheated.'
--- End quote ---

However, the cocoa would have refrozen over the days prior to the tent being found.

--- Quote from: TDGS7147 on November 20, 2017, 06:44:57 PM ---There is also a cloth napkin bearing neat slices of ham.
--- End quote ---

And is that evidence the ham had been cooked, or was going to be cooked?

--- Quote from: TDGS7147 on November 20, 2017, 06:44:57 PM ---'According to their mock sports page in The Evening Otorten, the champion stove assemblers’ record is one hour, two minutes and 27.4 seconds. But on that night, the stove just sits there in pieces.'
--- End quote ---

Right, but that was written after pitching the tent that evening, so it could have been assembled that night to briefly cook food and warm up the tent, then disassembled because their location was causing a draft in the tent while venting the stove.

And the wood would have been used up on the stove. Why not leave the stove at the cache if you're not going to bring wood to heat it?

sarapuk:
I wouldnt have thought a stove incident would have caused all the subsequent actions. And it must have been a very extraordinary event to cause the group to abandon their refuge.

Marchesk:

--- Quote from: sarapuk on August 22, 2018, 05:30:26 PM ---I wouldnt have thought a stove incident would have caused all the subsequent actions.

--- End quote ---

Clark Wilkins in his book, "A Compelling Unknown Force", weaves a convincing narrative of how the stove could have been responsible. Basically, the stove starts smoking from embers left in it when someone goes out to use the bathroom, creating a draft that tokes the embers. They had used the stove that night, then partially disassembled it because there was too much wind leave the stove exhaust pipe sticking out.

There are a couple attempts to move the stove outside, but that results in burnt hands, so then Igor at first cuts the tent to air it out, and then when that fails, makes larger cuts to exit. Now they're all standing around outside waiting on the tent to air out, but it's taking too long and they're freezing exposed on the mountain side, so they head for the tree line to wait it out. It's possible Igor had them go the wrong way down the mountain, if they had been trying to get to the supplies they left at the base before hiking up to pitch the tent.

sarapuk:
I understand though that no stove was prepared on that fatal night  !  ? 

Marchesk:

--- Quote from: sarapuk on October 26, 2018, 04:47:11 PM ---I understand though that no stove was prepared on that fatal night  !  ?

--- End quote ---

There were some conflicting accounts about whether there was evidence of the stove being used that night. The stove theory depends on it being partly taken apart after using it, possibly because having a pipe sticking out through the tent would have caused too much of a draft in the wind on the side of the mountain.

I wish it were possible to have certainty about some of the evidence such as the tent tears/cuts, the flashlights being on/off, the nature of the footsteps (orderly/fleeing), etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version