March 28, 2024, 04:38:51 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Questions about the 1963 Yakimienko expedition and photos  (Read 3730 times)

May 23, 2021, 09:18:02 AM
Read 3730 times

Manti

https://dyatlovpass.com/gallery-yakimenko-1963
Code: [Select]
In August 1963, on that pass on Kholat Syakhl mountain, a group led by Valentin Yakimienko set a memorial plaque saying:

"In memory of those who left and did not return, we name this pass after the Dyatlov group"
And looking at those photos, I have many questions...

Photo #1:
This is above the treeline. Is this on Kholat Syakhl? If so, look at that slope behind them. Who said it's not avalanche prone?

And then the weird photos:

Photo #73:

Is that a sled they found? And the hide of a bear cub?

Photo #74:
Mansi skis they found? And you can see the hide on the left

Photo #77:
Yuri Yudin with some skis. Surely they didn't take skis with them in August, also these look like hand crafted skis. Did they find all of this stuff in the forest?

Photo #82:
What is it that they are inspecting here? Some sort of fabric?
Photo #63:

And finally, is this a partially burnt log they found? The far end seems sawn.

Bonus picture:

No questions about this one.  grin1 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 09:31:09 AM by Manti »

May 23, 2021, 10:39:21 AM
Reply #1

Ziljoe

Hi Manti.

I'm confused with this group of photos. What's the context? Although the steepness of the hillside is interesting .

May 23, 2021, 12:09:00 PM
Reply #2

Manti

Well the context is that it's the same area, and even though they went there to install a plaque to commemorate the Dyatlov Group, they apparently also did their own mini investigation, went into the forest, climbed the cedar, but also found all these strange items.

And I wonder what these items are. It paints a slightly different picture of the Dyatlov Pass area than what I previously had in mind, less desolate. Or perhaps this is all just 4 year old trash from the searchers? The skis don't look like western / Russian skis but also look different to the skis the Mansi had who took part in the search... And I didn't think the natives would litter their own forest like that but then who are these items left behind by?

May 23, 2021, 01:49:34 PM
Reply #3

Ziljoe

I hadn't come across these photos Manti and a wasn't aware of the the mini investigation. I agree with why leave stuff lying around. . Is there a link to this mini investigation?

May 23, 2021, 01:51:33 PM
Reply #4

Ziljoe

May 23, 2021, 04:08:38 PM
Reply #5

RMK

Thanks for starting this thread, Manti.  I had never actually looked at those photos before.

May 25, 2021, 11:02:11 AM
Reply #6

RidgeWatcher

May 26, 2021, 04:08:47 AM
Reply #7

EBE

Hi Manti,

very good questions! However, I doubt anyone would have reliable answers:(.

How did you find the photos? They are not in the Photos section of Dyatlovpass.com.

By the way, even if the fist photo does not show the slope where the tent was, the location of the tent (market with ski poles) is prone to at least a relatively small avalanche:

May 26, 2021, 04:11:47 AM
Reply #8

EBE

By the way, the photo of Mansi Kurikov I posted above proves that the old skis found by the Yakimenko expedition were Mansi skis..

May 31, 2021, 03:29:58 PM
Reply #9

Manti

I found this gallery via a link from an old thread on the forum..

Indeed, the skis look the same as what Kurikov is wearing on your photo... isn't it odd that the Mansi would abandon several skis in the forest?

Even if they were transported to the pass on helicopter, it would have landed near the level area at the pass, near the Boot Rock. To go up there from the forest I would think is more comfortable on skis... and for example on photo #63, such skis are visible dumped in the forest. Were these such valueless items to the Mansi?

June 01, 2021, 01:38:22 AM
Reply #10

EBE

... isn't it odd that the Mansi would abandon several skis in the forest?

Were these such valueless items to the Mansi?

I agree with you. I think it is clear that the cedar location was used regularly by Mansi (or also other people). The old skis were probably there even before the DPI happened, also the fur covered by moss found by one of the researchers near the cedar indicates that the place was used by people before the incident. The clearing of the blueberry undergrowth that is visible on some of the Yakimenko photos (where the old skis are) was made by humans, also before the incident.

It would be a strange coincidence that the Dyatlov group leaves the tent and goes to the nearest forest, which also happens to be a some kind of camping place used by Mansi. The chance of that happening in a vast uninhabited areas is close to 0. Therefore I think that there are two possible explanations:

1. Dyatlov knew about this "camping" place, the original trip route was also planned to go via this location. In an emergency, the group decided to try to get to this place, hoping for survival.
2. The group was attacked by other people and ordered to descent to this location (for example with a gun pointed towards Zina's head, so that the tough guys in the group comply..).