April 27, 2024, 05:05:41 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: About bread  (Read 4224 times)

September 10, 2023, 06:55:56 PM
Read 4224 times

GlennM

In Donnie Eisher's book Dead Mountain, he learns that before ascending the slope to Dyatlov Pass, the group were given four loaves of bread. They consumed two the first night out. There is no mention of the other two. If there were something hallucinogenic in the loaves, all would be affected. What they would do while intoxicated would explain much. The acid test for this would be entries in diaries. If the diaries indicated impaired ability, then ergot might be to blame. Also, food remnants may point to the consumption of all the loaves, the greater the consumption, the greater the effect. I do not think much will come from this line of reasoning.
We don't have to say everything that comes into our head.

September 10, 2023, 07:11:58 PM
Reply #1

KathleenDSmith1

Everyone:

There is a photo of frame 25 in Krivonischenko's camera, Lyuda Dubinina and one other of the 9 hikers are eating bread, and would it be possible that if the remaining bread(2 pieces) was saved it would be when all 9 hikers sent up camp in "Loose Photo's" No 6...the bread who have been eaten in this particular photo moment when noted in the Dyatlov Group Diary reads on January 31st 1959 " 
Copied and Paste: This section

It's nearly 4. Have to start looking for a place to pitch the tent. We go south in the Auspiya valley. Seems this place has the deepest snow. Wind not strong, snow 1.2-2 m (3-4 ft) deep. We’re exhausted, but start setting up for the night. Firewood is scarce, mostly damp firs. We build the campfire on the logs, too tired to dig a fire pit. Dinner’s in the tent. Nice and warm. Can’t imagine such comfort on the ridge, with howling wind outside, hundreds of kilometers away from human settlements.

September 10, 2023, 07:35:47 PM
Reply #2

Manti

The bread would become dry as a rock in the intervening days. They probably consumed it the same day. They had packed knäckebröd anyway that they could eat on later days

The following users thanked this post: marieuk

September 11, 2023, 04:08:37 AM
Reply #3

Ziljoe

The bread would become dry as a rock in the intervening days. They probably consumed it the same day. They had packed knäckebröd anyway that they could eat on later days

I kinda agree, eat the bread while it's good. There would be little chance of packing it without it being squashed in the packs. Cold temperatures and stale bread , what's the point? Eat it when it's best and then move in to the crackers .

The following users thanked this post: Manti

November 11, 2023, 07:09:15 PM
Reply #4

kylecorbin

I don't know whether this helps, but RUSKS are mentioned by several witnesses, and rusks are bread. A bag of them was probably accidentally cut open by Sharavin and Slobtsov when they first hacked into the tent with the ice ax. If you search for RUSK using the search bar (not here in the forum but out on the main DyatlovPass.com website), you should be able to find all the witness statements that included that term. But no, poisoned bread (or mushrooms, etc.) could not account for the mystery, because the nine left the items orderly in their tent, and they walked in an organized manner down to the trees, and gathered many branches for the fire and the snow-dens, and did many logical things.

The following users thanked this post: Ehtnisba, Partorg

November 11, 2023, 11:25:38 PM
Reply #5

Олег Таймень

When there are crackers and bread, the bread is the first to be disposed of, as it is heavy to carry in backpacks. I think they ate the bread even before leaving 2 Severny.
If a mountain comes towards you, and you are not Mohammed, then it is a rockfall.

The following users thanked this post: marieuk, Manti

November 12, 2023, 02:36:07 AM
Reply #6

Axelrod

This summer, in mid-July (+30*C-+35*C) I had a ssucjituation in the Carpathians: I took normal bread from home in the morning ,
but after 3-4 hours when I climbed the mountain, I was surprised that the bread had turned green (what I did not notice when I took it from table), and I had to throw it away, and I had for lunch only waffles.

But I trhink that is is inactual to transfer the experience from hot countries to cold territories.
I don’t think that such a situation is possible in Siberia in winter.

November 12, 2023, 07:43:53 AM
Reply #7

Ziljoe

They got four loaves of bread on the 27th of January

"Before that we bought four loaves of bread. Soft warm bread. We ate 2 loaves"

I suspect the rusks are the hard compact bread used by many for long trips. There was bread and rusks . The OP is correct that there was bread . Crackers is probably the better description for rusks. I don't think the OP is implying that it may have been the rusks/ cracker's neither do I think there is a translation error in the bread bought and the rusks found in the tent. Separate food items that's all.

It is reported that there were rusks scattered , cuts of ham/ pork loin plus a cup with some contents still in it ( porridge) found in the tent. There was a broken pole or wood reported to be found in the tent also. Some of the explanations for the pole have been , a ski pole,  for support of the tent, another was suggested by WAB that it may have been the horizontal supports that fit in the shoulder area of the ruck sack. They have a grove cut into them and are removable.

I believe some of the searcher's were questioned if they had consumed the food items.

November 12, 2023, 11:55:10 PM
Reply #8

Partorg

Rusks (suhari) are sliced ​​and completely dried bread.
A ski pole with two encircling notches/grooves and broken along one of them is a stove stand that was planned to be used in the morning.  It was broken by accidentally stepping on it by the Dyatlovites when they were evacuating from the tent, or by the rescuers when they were clearing the tent of snow

November 14, 2023, 09:15:19 PM
Reply #9

GlennM

Did the hikers do a dine and dash? I don't know,  but when they left the tent, they could have made for boot rock to shelter from wind. They could have made for the Labaz for essential supplies. Instead, they trekked on exposed ground for the better part of a mile for what? Certainly not food,,water nor firewood. Any of those things were closer at hand already. If they were sane and not affected by psychotropic food poisoning, then the only thing left is personal protection. They left in the middle of a meal because their tent became  unsuitable.and they thought they could do better in the short run down in the trees. I still think the slab slip theory has merit.

November 14, 2023, 09:31:49 PM
Reply #10

Ziljoe

Hi Glennm.

Has someone taken over your account or name? You have already discussed these things?

November 14, 2023, 10:52:12 PM
Reply #11

Ehtnisba

Rusks (suhari) are sliced ​​and completely dried bread.
A ski pole with two encircling notches/grooves and broken along one of them is a stove stand that was planned to be used in the morning.  It was broken by accidentally stepping on it by the Dyatlovites when they were evacuating from the tent, or by the rescuers when they were clearing the tent of snow

As far as I remember the skipole is stated to be cut. If this is the exact word used it should mean that a knife/file has been used. Maybe if an ice ax is capable of cutting it in one hit, then it could have been the searches slashing the frozen tent with their axes or hatchets. If the wording in testimonies is "broken" then we are left with sooo many options one of which is stepping on it. Where was it actually? Inside or outside the tent? Sorry I am lazy to search the exact testimonies about it. If it is outside then will be not so probable to have been stove hanger, but I am almost sure they were speaking about it being inside. Only the word "cut" remains as problematic, cause it implies intention and tool, rather than "broken" which can be accidental.
Homo homini lupus est!

January 11, 2024, 08:13:51 AM
Reply #12

Partorg

As far as I remember the skipole is stated to be cut.
I'm sorry- I didn't see this question before. Since it is considered that "late" is better than "never": two circular (covering the pole like a belt) grooves were cut with a knife on a ski pole. One was located closer to the end of the pole, the other closer to the middle. Nobody knows exactly why it was done.  The most reasonable assumption: a stick with a wire U-shaped loop fixed on it and representing a construction in the form of the letter P placed in the middle of the tent should cover the stove with the loop and take on all its weight, thus relieving the transverse suspension of the ridge of tent, which in the absence of trees was provided only by skis and poles stuck in the snow, which was not enough to reliably support the weight of the stove.
The stick was found inside the tent. It broke along the notch nearest to its end when it was stepped on. It could have been stepped on either by the Dyatlovs when evacuating from under the rubble, or by the rescuers who were tramping on the tent removing snow from it. It doesn't matter who did it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 02:22:32 AM by Partorg »

January 11, 2024, 10:49:01 AM
Reply #13

Axelrod

The most reasonable assumption doesn't denote that it was in reality.

January 11, 2024, 01:43:12 PM
Reply #14

Partorg

If you are categorically not satisfied with the assumptions (even the most reasonable ones) and you definitely want to know how everything really happened, you will have to either build a time machine, fly into the evening of 02/01/1959 and see everything with your own eyes, or engage in table-turning and spiritualism, which more feasible, but less certain.

January 11, 2024, 06:30:27 PM
Reply #15

GlennM

It appears that the forum believes ergot in bread is unlikely to the the cause of the hikers troubles. I think it is one thing we can rule out.

The group promised to cut out smoking and alcohol comsumption during the tour. For people who are used to both, they must have gotten very irritable by the time they camped on 1079. It would not surprise me to believe that some of the decisions that were made were influenced by withdrawal from nicotine and ethanol, resulting in snap judgements and flared tempers.