Theories Discussion > General Discussion

Tent damage - Was it fatal?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Ziljoe:

Sorry GlennM

I missed the quote bit.

I believe there's a couple of suggestions of Igor's coat or other coats were found around the tent. The jacket stuffed in the hole could have been the hole for the stove flue.

They may have cut new holes because it was 3/4 collapsed. How do you enter a stiff collapsed tent? Some of the cuts may have been done by the searchers. They were looking for students/ friends. Who cares about preserving the condition of a tent when people are missing?

I don't think the Dyatlov group would care about the condition of the tent if they were forced out by what ever reason, nor would I think the searchers cared. It's an old canvas tent. The least of anyone's worries. No one cut the tent up for fun.

GlennM:
Collapsed by a snow slip? What do your think? I like the other reasoning. If the rescuers found a collapsed tent then cutting into it would be acceptable. However, if the tent was cut to let people out beforehand, then additional cutting may not have been needed, but it was done. To damage Soviet state property, one would need a very good reason. I think they were all there and were scared by eath movement and snow slab.

Ziljoe:
GlennM

I had I initially gone with snow slip/slide or a ground tremor, something natural..

There is mention of one of the searchers making a hole in the tent . There may have been 1 slit cut by the escaping group, the other cuts done by the searchers on digging the tent out The tent had hard snow on top of when found plus we believe it was dragged to the helicopter.

I don't think it matters if it was rockets , falling tree , knife or beast that cut the tent. The authorities would not care but I agree with you that if they cut it , they had to get out in a hurry.

Manti:
There are several failed cuts, then the ones that were successful end and continue as tears... It couldn't have been very quick. Yet another thing about this mystery that is hard to make sense of. But at the same time, the tent's entrance was supposedly found buttoned up with only one button left open. Wouldn't it have been faster to just unbutton it and exit that way? Also the entrance side was not under snow when found.

As for an avalanche (snow slab or otherwise).. these don't tend to make much sound, this is why avalanches catch skiers by surprise.

About the earthquake (tremor), I used to be skeptical because the investigators didn't even consider this. Locals weren't questioned about whether they felt a tremor. Seismic records weren't checked, as far as I can tell. But apparently a Spanish forum user  found contemporary seismic records that could be a record of a tremor near Kholat.. at least the distance and times match, although it could really have been anywhere on a circle with that radius.

For sure an earthquake would startle them.. but is abandoning the tent and walking to the forest a reasonable reaction to it? Is being in the forest even safer than being on the slope? I think it's not, as there, trees can fall if there's another tremor. Of course on the slope there can be a rock slide... Hmm maybe there was a rock slide? Isn't a rock rolling over Lyuda, Semyon, and Thibo a possible explanation for their injuries? Still doesn't explain how they then end up in the stream.

GlennM:
I do not understand this. Help if you can. I was led to believe that the hikers brought two tents and joined them as one. All the images and texts refer to the tent, as a single tent. I find it hard to believe 9 or 10 hikers, a stove, packs and supplies fit into a single tent. I do not understand how a chimney can be cut into a tent the hikers did not own. Some people believe the hikers did not camp at 880, but went to the valley. Did they go with a tent, or half of one?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version