Theories Discussion > General Discussion

Soviet military

(1/21) > >>

GlennM:
I submit there is no compelling evidence that a ground based threat would compel 9 intelligent people to cut and ruin a tent, escaping into a very likely death sentence before reconsidering, and turning around. Only the spectre  of immediate obliteration would make abandoning the tent the right action to take.  I do believe an aerial threat would. Suppose a squadron if Soviet fighters practicing night training at low altitude produced a deafening roar right over the tent. The hikers knowing they themselves were off course would not think twice about clearing the area. If the Jets also dropped flares as training munitions, the bright light and noise would panic them. No time to dress, time to go! Ear shattering noise, bright tent piercing light of flares and the real possibility of certain destruction made them leave without hesitation.

after passing the point of no return, but still without the cover of trees and in a calmer state if mind, they reason that making a fire in the woods will serve two ends, one is warmth, the other a light in the dark. It would be too cold to return unless they could warm up first. Everything is numbing up.Some may have tripped and got hurt on the way down.

Realizing that the Jets are gone, not to return, a decision is made to form teams. Three go back to the tent and get supplies. The rest to make shelter and wait.

The returning hikers can't  make the trip, and sleep as they shut down, falling along the way.

Two die by the fire from injury and exposure coming down the hill or at the tree.  The others take clothes and seek deeper snow to dig in. They want a snow cave for the night. They fall into the ravine and succumb.

The Cold War Soviets would not reveal where they fly to train or test ground detection technology. That invites spying. They have no obligation to associate  training activity with the hikers. This invites spying. By comparison, stealth aircraft at Area 51 are flown at night to further remote areas for flight tests. Too many observers around if testing is done too close to home.

I think it will ultimately be revealed that the hikers were unwitting victims of the Cold War. They will eventually be honored as heros of the State. That will close the investigation.

sarapuk:

--- Quote from: GlennM on February 09, 2019, 01:04:14 PM ---I submit there is no compelling evidence that a ground based threat would compel 9 intelligent people to cut and ruin a tent, escaping into a very likely death sentence before reconsidering, and turning around. Only the spectre  of immediate obliteration would make abandoning the tent the right action to take.  I do believe an aerial threat would. Suppose a squadron if Soviet fighters practicing night training at low altitude produced a deafening roar right over the tent. The hikers knowing they themselves were off course would not think twice about clearing the area. If the Jets also dropped flares as training munitions, the bright light and noise would panic them. No time to dress, time to go! Ear shattering noise, bright tent piercing light of flares and the real possibility of certain destruction made them leave without hesitation.

after passing the point of no return, but still without the cover of trees and in a calmer state if mind, they reason that making a fire in the woods will serve two ends, one is warmth, the other a light in the dark. It would be too cold to return unless they could warm up first. Everything is numbing up.Some may have tripped and got hurt on the way down.

Realizing that the Jets are gone, not to return, a decision is made to form teams. Three go back to the tent and get supplies. The rest to make shelter and wait.

The returning hikers can't  make the trip, and sleep as they shut down, falling along the way.

Two die by the fire from injury and exposure coming down the hill or at the tree.  The others take clothes and seek deeper snow to dig in. They want a snow cave for the night. They fall into the ravine and succumb.

The Cold War Soviets would not reveal where they fly to train or test ground detection technology. That invites spying. They have no obligation to associate  training activity with the hikers. This invites spying. By comparison, stealth aircraft at Area 51 are flown at night to further remote areas for flight tests. Too many observers around if testing is done too close to home.

I think it will ultimately be revealed that the hikers were unwitting victims of the Cold War. They will eventually be honored as heros of the State. That will close the investigation.

--- End quote ---

Thats fair enough that you suggest it could be an aerial threat that caused the Dyatlov Group to leave the Tent, but what about the various actions after leaving the Tent and the various very serious injuries  !  ?  How does DUBININA end up with those extraordinary injuries. Etc.

Marchesk:

--- Quote from: GlennM on February 09, 2019, 01:04:14 PM ---The returning hikers can't  make the trip, and sleep as they shut down, falling along the way.
--- End quote ---

I don't get that. Either they were too weak to make the trip because they waited long enough for hypothermia to set in, or they should have been able to make it back to the tent. If they waited a couple hours, then it makes no sense to go back uphill exposed to the wind in a weakened state.

Otherwise, I agree that they could have been scared out of their tent by a military exercise. I wonder if the higher ups knew or found out about that, and the decision was to cover it up by forcing the criminal part of the investigation to stop.

GlennM:
Hello and thanks for the post.

Any of the deceased will decompose according to the environmental conditions where they died. To me, that is a distraction and peripheral to the central issue. I think the injuries are consistent with falling. Where and when are also peripheral considerations. Secondly, it seems reasonable that once the hikers resolved to travel all the way to the edge of the forest, they would all be in need of heat. The reason for not returning to camp after departure was , I believe for a warm fire and to be certain the aerial threat was over. Who is to say if those jets were going to test bombs or bomb sights? I believe that the eventual decision to have a team try to get back to the tent was a heroism since the team leader was in that group. It might have taken 30 minutes to get down hill,but going uphill is something else altogether. I imagine the time doubled.  I also believe there was no other choice than to try to return. The idea would be for three to get back to camp, load food clothes and ski down to rapidly bring relief to those at the tree or digging a snow cave. I think the return party was as determined as anyone with a death sentence on them can be. No one stopped and none turned back. Finally, going back to original motivations, I believe the Russians hikers knew that if they got killed by an airstrike or a vibration induced snowslide, the military would suppress involvement for State security. Therefore, their best strategy was to get out of harm's way and hope for the best. It the dilemma of choosing the devil or the deep as they say. A cold night in the Cold War.

Loose}{Cannon:
Welp, we have reason to suspect they never 'cut' their way out of the tent to begin with.  Also, there were other student groups in the area from the same school that undoubtedly would have heard and reported hearing fighter jets or similar.   I know all to well the sound you speak of and it travels for many miles. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version