Theories Discussion > General Discussion

Who cut open the tent?

(1/6) > >>

Australie:
I am wondering if it is possible that the hikers did not cut open the tent. It seems so crazy as it was their only protection.  Is it possible that after they left the tent others entered it and cut it open so that the hikers could not use it as shelter?

eurocentric:
It's possible. It certainly looks like a vandalised tent when set up for examination. It made me wonder just how many escape holes and attempts at making them they really needed, and how all that must have slowed them down in any imagined emergency egress.

There are a number of horizontal slashings high up near the ridge, one of which was made by a rescuer's ice pick, when the most efficient means of rapid escape for those inside would surely be a vertical slice and then squeeze through, assuming the tent flap buttons were all done up, though reading at this site that doesn't seem to be confirmed.

If you wanted to make sure they couldn't return to use the tent you'd likely cut/tear horizontally near the ridge so the canvas flops down inside.

As to who this may implicate, I'd suggest the Mansi more than the military. The Mansi would presumably have no need for cameras, and possibly the money (?) left in the tent, and attempting to trade such things would arouse suspicion, they'd just want them off the land, whereas I feel the military would not be able to help themselves checking for valuables and taking cameras and money.

Ting:
Let's say the group DID cut the tent from the inside. How many people do you think were doing the cutting ? 1, 2 more.
How long would it take to react to something - make a group decision to cut an exit in the tent and then actually do it ? 1,2, 3 minutes ?
Even if you think there were 2 or 3 of the group outside that still leaves at least 3 people inside the tent NOT cutting. What are THEY doing for 1,2 or 3 minutes ?
They are obviously not grabbing useful clothes that must be no more than a few feet away because they left them behind.
A reasonable time frame needs to be established for a number of key events like the cutting of the tent, the trip to the Cedar tree, the time to break the Cedar branches, the time taken to start a fire, the time taken to suffer frostbite of the hands given no gloves, the time to build the den.
The latest official report stated that it took about 2 hours to set up the tent and that they started at about 5pm and finished set up at about 7pm.
Although timings might involve a degree of estimation it shouldn't be too hard to at least narrow down many of these timings.

sparrow:
Somewhere on this forum loose-cannon has (I thought) a pretty good post about the cutting of the tent.  I am not sure about any other postings since I still have a lot to read on this forum.

Tony:

--- Quote from: Australie on July 26, 2020, 04:41:44 AM ---I am wondering if it is possible that the hikers did not cut open the tent. It seems so crazy as it was their only protection.  Is it possible that after they left the tent others entered it and cut it open so that the hikers could not use it as shelter?

--- End quote ---

Could be, but why from the inside? Why not cut it from the outside?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version