Theories Discussion > General Discussion

Timing of leaving the tent and deaths based on the watch evidence

(1/9) > >>

Marchesk:
So there were four watches in the case files: https://dyatlovpass.com/watches?lid=1. The freezer experiment mentioned in that article has three watches stopping within 8-25 minutes of one another after 2 hours at -4F. The watches from the Chivruay incident stopping within 30 minutes of one another. Assuming this evidence applies to the Dyaltov watches (all manual wind as I understand it), we have an interesting find. Igor's watch stopped at 5:31, while Rustem and Tibo's stopped around three hours later. That would seem to indicate Igor died three hours earlier than those two.

Which means Rustem wasn't one of the first to die, as some have thought, and his skull fracture must have come later. It would also mean he and Igor were not going back to the tent together along with Zina. We can also roughly guess at how long Igor was outside the tent. If it took his watch two and half hours to stop working after he collapsed, and the group abandoned the tent sometime around dinner or shortly after, then that's 6-7 hours.

It also raises the question of what Rustem was doing three hours after Igor collapsed on the slope. Why was he on an exposed slope 10 hours after leaving the tent, give or take an hour? And why was Igor three hours earlier in such bad shape that he could only go a few hundred meters? Igor did not have significant injuries.

Nigel Evans:
An excellent piece of detective work! I've long held the view that Igor never got down the slope but was whacked by something similar to Zinaida and perhaps the 2Yuris who did get to the cedar eventually badly injured and suffering from frostbite. But Rustem didn't fit with this having "ravine four" style injuries, he had internal bleeding (chest trauma) which probably was the primary cause of death and the skull fractures are a minor version of Nicolai's but include bruising.

PJ:
I was writing about it before that in my opinion the experiment with watches not gives much answers. The experiment was made in freezer, watches was left there by itself. In Dyatlov Group each watch was attached to hand/body that had big mass and keep warm (above zero temperature) hours after being unconscious. Generally when body temperature falls below +28 C person got unconscious, and from +28C to get frozen could takes long time depends of conditions and position of the body.

In Igor case, he was found with his hands up, so the watch was very exposed and could freeze very fast, but Rustem was face down with hands under body so it takes much longer for his watch to get frozen.

eurocentric:
Unless they all synchronised their watches with a full wind at broadly the same time how could this be relied upon? And the higher the winding the stronger the spring pressure to keep the internal mechanism ticking in cold temperatures.

For all anyone knows Igor's watch stopped earlier because he had not pre-wound it on as much as the others, and in the dire circumstances he was not checking his watch, so his stops sooner, yet he freezes to death hours later.

Rather than all 3 on the pass being involved in a fist fight/murder I suspect their knuckle injuries, which only they had across both hands (Yuri K was the only other one with knuckle injuries, but only to his right hand), were likely caused by them crawling up the pass, avoiding frostbite to their numbing fingers by walking on their fists, and in the case of Igor who had no shoes, possibly attempting to save his toes by walking on his knees (only he had kneecap injuries).

I cannot imagine Zina fighting, and male or female you always favour punches from your dominant side, yet the knuckle injuries were uniform across both hands on these 3, and unique to them.

For that reason I'm pretty sure they all died on the pass together, their individual progress/timing of demise determined by how well-insulated they were, how much blood sugar they had left, and how strong their hearts and circulations were to the bitter end. It was survival of the fittest against the elements.

Marchesk:

--- Quote ---Rather than all 3 on the pass being involved in a fist fight/murder I suspect their knuckle injuries, which only they had across both hands (Yuri K was the only other one with knuckle injuries, but only to his right hand), were likely caused by them crawling up the pass, avoiding frostbite to their numbing fingers by walking on their fists, and in the case of Igor who had no shoes, possibly attempting to save his toes by walking on his knees (only he had kneecap injuries).
--- End quote ---

You think they were crawling back to the tent? Why not just huddle together?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version