April 25, 2024, 09:23:12 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: first sighting of tent  (Read 3934 times)

January 21, 2023, 07:33:34 AM
Read 3934 times

tenne

"Victor Potyazhenko claims that it was he who discovered the tent on the slope during flying over the pass, together with Ortyukov. A small group of comrades in black sheepskin coats were on the ground, with a small tent already pitched in the forest i.e. there were people present already."

Victor Vasilyevich approached the tent, the tent was not heavily covered with snow. The tent itself was not tilted, with a slight imclination, the sidewall was cut... He looked through the entrance and saw the combat leaflet attached near the entrance ...

The tent was not collapsed, covered with snow only from the side of the slope. On the opposite side there were cuts. You could could see inside the tent. I asked today how was the combat leaflet attached? He said literally the following: "As if wetted and glued to the tent, and the water froze." It was written: Combat leaflet, below: "Evening Otorten", and lower on two halves - on one: what they did today, on the other: tasks for tomorrow."

How does this reconcile with the photo of the tent collapsed when found ie the photo of it and who were the people he said he saw?

This was either ""In Ivdel, Colonel Ortyukov commanded my flights, the order was to fly to Otorten." He doesn’t remember exactly the day when he flew to the pass for the first time, but says it was February 24th or 25th"

January 21, 2023, 07:34:12 AM
Reply #1

tenne

January 21, 2023, 11:29:16 PM
Reply #2

Missi

Add the testimonies of others plus an interview to that story, as I mentioned here: https://forum.dyatlovpass.com/index.php?topic=1312.0

January 22, 2023, 10:55:58 AM
Reply #3

tenne

As I posted on that thread, he couldn't take any initiative to search or report unless given orders or insist his story be told without receiving severe punishment. This was an insanely violent dictatorship and people who didn't do as they were told, were not heard from again

January 22, 2023, 12:28:41 PM
Reply #4

tenne

His testimony also proves that a helicopter could land there as is and there was no need to build a landing pad

January 22, 2023, 10:22:46 PM
Reply #5

Missi

So what exactly are you arguing for or against? I'm kinda lost by now...

January 23, 2023, 09:22:24 AM
Reply #6

tenne

I am not arguing for or against anything. I am trying to get the facts into a compressive package and then see what makes sense.

I do believe that the tent was seen by him, the people already camped were the stagers and he was able to land without a landing pad being made for him. One thing that has been pointed out as against this idea was they had to build a landing pad for the stagers and there was no sign of it. This proves they could land like he did

I believe that in any theory, everything will be explained, so I am exploring everything.

Given he says he saw the tent set up, with other people camped there and he could land and helicopters did have night flying technology then, to me it was more than feasible that the stagers flew in by helicopter, set it all up and then it was found by the 'official' searchers, thus keeping everyone in that area.

January 23, 2023, 10:02:16 AM
Reply #7

Ziljoe

As I posted on that thread, he couldn't take any initiative to search or report unless given orders or insist his story be told without receiving severe punishment. This was an insanely violent dictatorship and people who didn't do as they were told, were not heard from again

What was an insanely violent dictatorship? What people were not seen again?

January 23, 2023, 10:08:32 AM
Reply #8

Ziljoe

I am not arguing for or against anything. I am trying to get the facts into a compressive package and then see what makes sense.

I do believe that the tent was seen by him, the people already camped were the stagers and he was able to land without a landing pad being made for him. One thing that has been pointed out as against this idea was they had to build a landing pad for the stagers and there was no sign of it. This proves they could land like he did

I believe that in any theory, everything will be explained, so I am exploring everything.

Given he says he saw the tent set up, with other people camped there and he could land and helicopters did have night flying technology then, to me it was more than feasible that the stagers flew in by helicopter, set it all up and then it was found by the 'official' searchers, thus keeping everyone in that area.

I don't think the searchers helicopters flew at night? Getting supplies in was difficult even for the searchers.

My question would be more about how the helicopter got to the site of the proposed accident and where the bodies and tent were found , then transported to the slope. I believe you said in your theory that they were moved to the slope by helicopter.

Many of the search group were dropped in other areas? They searched for trails of ski's etc in parallel to the the search for the tent. It didn't keep everyone in one area?

January 23, 2023, 11:34:12 AM
Reply #9

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
If I recall correctly, the helicopter was from a local detachment that was transporting things such as methanol to oil exploration rigs.  Methanol is used to keep the well from freezing up.
All theories are flawed....... Get Behind Me Satan !!!

January 23, 2023, 12:06:37 PM
Reply #10

tenne

the soviet union. anyone who was considered an enemy of the state by telling the truth, was in  a lot of trouble.

January 23, 2023, 12:09:06 PM
Reply #11

tenne

I don't think the searchers helicopters flew at night? Getting supplies in was difficult even for the searchers.

My question would be more about how the helicopter got to the site of the proposed accident and where the bodies and tent were found , then transported to the slope. I believe you said in your theory that they were moved to the slope by helicopter.

Many of the search group were dropped in other areas? They searched for trails of ski's etc in parallel to the the search for the tent. It didn't keep everyone in one area?

As I posted before, the helicopters had night flying equipment in that time frame so yes, they could fly at night. I can't prove they did but they did have the equipment to do it. So why wouldn't they? the helicopter could easily land, as proven, and the stuff unloaded.

they searched in the official areas

January 23, 2023, 02:58:59 PM
Reply #12

Ziljoe

the soviet union. anyone who was considered an enemy of the state by telling the truth, was in  a lot of trouble.

Please expand, what does telling the truth mean? If they lied were they not considered the enemy of the state? Please give context . Your statement is oxymoron.

January 23, 2023, 03:01:48 PM
Reply #13

Ziljoe

As I posted before, the helicopters had night flying equipment in that time frame so yes, they could fly at night. I can't prove they did but they did have the equipment to do it. So why wouldn't they? the helicopter could easily land, as proven, and the stuff unloaded.

they searched in the official areas

What is night time flying equipment?

January 24, 2023, 06:40:04 AM
Reply #14

Missi

Okay, I feel, it's getting a little confusing. Might only be me, but I'll try to structure this according to aspects, anyway:

1. Potyazhenko says, he discovered the tent when flying over. He also says, that there were people present.
2. He also says, the tent stood, was not collapsed and there was little snow on it, he could see inside and saw the Evening Otorten and a to-do-list.
3. Him discovering the tent is not part of the case files.
4. It is, however, in the case files, that two different groups state to have found the tent first (which both do not include Potyazhenko).
5. tenne says, he couldn't report his finding the tent, because he was not ordered to do so.
6. tenne takes his testimony to prove, that helicopters could land at the side without a landing pad.
7. tenne concludes, that the people seen by Potyazhenko were those, who staged the scene and that it was possible for them to get there by means of helicopter without having to build a landing pad first.
8. tenne also says, that at the time there were helicopters with technology that allowed for flying at night (i.e. lights and instruments for flying without seeing the world outside) and that those lights could be what people saw and took for UFOs.

So much for the actual line of argument. As for that: It seems consistent to me so far.
BUT: Potyazhenko also mentions a landing pad there, that was too small for his helicopter. As I understand it, he's talking about the day, he first saw the tent. If so, this means there was a landing pad there, before the other searchers arrived at the location. Why did nobody mention the landing pad?
I know, they tried to build a landing pad and definitely did in the vicinity of the searchers camp. That was quite a while later, though.

I personally can't see, why the staging of the scene could be so important as to use the (as I understand it) then rather high end equipment of helicopters that were able to fly safely at night in that area and even allow for landing or unloading of 9 bodies, a tent and a larger amount of stuff.

I completely agree with it being dangerous to not follow orders at the time in the USSR. I still find some things he mentions inconsistent. Which I attribute not to lying on his part but rather to the changing of memories over decades. Therefore I consider his testimony less reliable as those in the case files.

@Ziljoe:
The USSR was indeed known as a rather violent dictatorship, especially in the times of Stalin. And it is a fact, that people went outside to buy bread and ended up in a gulag in Siberia, sometimes without their relatives getting a message about it. (Knowledge I acquired from documentaries and was shocked, I have to say.)
I can't say how and how fast that changed after Stalin's death and therefore how it affected the DPI.

The helicopters of the search team are not reported to fly at night. On the contrary, you are right that there were days they were not allowed to fly at all because of weather conditions. tenne was talking about the theory of people staging the scene getting there by helicopter.

Your question as to where the actual incident happened and how it was possible to land there, assuming the whole thing was staged, is an interesting one. I didn't think about that end of the incident.

Okay, and now last odds and ends...

@ Loose}{Cannon:
There were several helicopters and airplanes involved. As I understand the interview, the one helicopter Potyazhenko refers to was a military one. Did you refer to that one or did you talk more in general?

Searching:
It is a fact that there were several search teams in different areas. Who decided what areas were searched? Does anyone have a source at hand?
And even IF there is a source stating that it was not decided by stately agents, one could still argue, that it was the state that acted as a puppeteer.

Telling the truth and enemies of the state:
I'd say, it didn't matter if you were telling the truth or lying, as long as you were telling things the government didn't like, you did get problems very soon. I'm not sure if they'd call you an enemy of the state. But then again, who cares what they'd call you. I'd consider it more important, what they'd do to you.

Sorry for wall of text... excuseme

The following users thanked this post: tenne

January 24, 2023, 04:14:00 PM
Reply #15

GlennM

Just seeing a spit stuck paper on the inner wall of a ripped tent under the wash of helicopter rotors  while the surrounding people enjoy that same bracing effect is remarkable.
We don't have to say everything that comes into our head.

January 25, 2023, 08:08:05 AM
Reply #16

tenne

Just seeing a spit stuck paper on the inner wall of a ripped tent under the wash of helicopter rotors  while the surrounding people enjoy that same bracing effect is remarkable.

Given the tent was still standing according to the testimony and they landed away from it, how could the wash affect something frozen solid to a canvas wall protecting it from the wind?

if you know anything about tents, you know condensation wets the inside so a tent that was wet inside and then set up and allowed to freeze would solidly hold a pamphlet to the wall, hardly any need to spit to get moisture on a tent wall

January 25, 2023, 12:19:07 PM
Reply #17

GlennM

We don't have to say everything that comes into our head.