April 16, 2024, 10:14:45 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: would fear of the authorities play a part in testimony?  (Read 3070 times)

January 25, 2023, 08:28:48 AM
Read 3070 times

tenne

The Soviet Union was a harsh regime
""Prior to the dissolution of the Soviet Union and the archival revelations, some historians estimated that the numbers killed by Stalin's regime were 20 million or higher"

"Throughout the history of the Soviet Union, tens of millions of people suffered political repression, which was an instrument of the state since the October Revolution. It culminated during the Stalin era, then declined, but it continued to exist during the "Khrushchev Thaw", followed by increased persecution of Soviet dissidents during the Brezhnev era, and it did not cease to exist until late in Mikhail Gorbachev's rule when it was ended in keeping with his policies of glasnost and perestroika."

The government controlled life so much that they dictated who could go on a 'tour' and when and who they took, from Lyuda's diary ""At first nobody wanted this Zolotaryov, for he is a stranger, but then we all agreed, because you can't refuse" in reference to taking a hiker out of the group and forcing Seymon on them

I believe that this threat of death and imprisonment that hung over the country would have forced anyone involved to tell the official version but I am interested in what others say because it seems I might be the only one considering the consequences of not toeing the official line

The following users thanked this post: anna_pycckux

January 25, 2023, 08:55:07 AM
Reply #1

Teddy

Administrator
It played a major role, not the testimonies.
I explain the decision to move the tent with fear of the regime.
https://forum.dyatlovpass.com/index.php?topic=818.0

The following users thanked this post: tenne

January 25, 2023, 09:20:39 AM
Reply #2

anna_pycckux

I believe that this threat of death and imprisonment that hung over the country would have forced anyone involved to tell the official version but I am interested in what others say because it seems I might be the only one considering the consequences of not toeing the official line
Очень правильно поставлен вопрос. Страх сталинского и послесталинского времени давлел над страной. Тысячи свидетелей Новочеркасского расстрела, подавления протеста в Тимертау, в Чимкенте. Александрове.. и т д  молчали, не смея сказать ни слова. Все студенчество было под контролем КГБ и осведомителей. Многие знали истину и молчали. По моему личному мнению истину сегодня знают Петр Бартоломей и Сергей Согрин. Но они агитируют за ракетную версию, которая была  нарочно запущена в 1959 году. для оправдания секретности. Барто и Согрин не признаются даже на смертном одре.. и понять и пожалеть их можно. Они просто не хотели выбиваться из той системы, которая могла погубить каждого непокорного. Эта система погубила дятловцев. Фантастический термин "ИНАКОМЫСЛЛЯЩИЕ" - был почти приговором. Это основа моей версии.

The question is very correctly posed. The fear of the Stalinist and post-Stalinist times weighed on the country. Thousands of witnesses of the Novocherkassk shooting, the suppression of the protest in Timertau, in Shymkent. Alexandrov.. and so they were silent, not daring to say a word. The entire student body was under the control of the KGB and informants. Many knew the truth and were silent. In my personal opinion, Peter Bartholomew and Sergey Sogrin know the truth today. But they are agitating for a rocket version that was deliberately launched in 1959. to justify secrecy. Barto and Sogrin do not confess even on their deathbed.. and you can understand and pity them. They just didn't want to get out of the system that could ruin every recalcitrant. This system ruined dyatlovtsev. The fantastic term "DISSENTERS" was almost a verdict. This is the basis of my version

The following users thanked this post: tenne

January 25, 2023, 09:45:33 AM
Reply #3

tenne

It played a major role, not the testimonies.
I explain the decision to move the tent with fear of the regime.
https://forum.dyatlovpass.com/index.php?topic=818.0

Do you believe that anyone would have said anything other than the official line? As far as I can tell from my research, people only said what was allowed to be said.

I read a quote about the official news at the time and (paraphrasing)
there were two official newspapers, one was called 'the news' and one was called 'the truth' and the people said that there was no truth in the news and no news in the truth

January 25, 2023, 09:51:34 AM
Reply #4

Manti

There are always rebels. You can see Yuri Yudin wearing imperialist hippie fashion (Converse shoes and "sawn" jeans).The investigator believes the fireballs were UFOs and starts sinking government time and money into that line of inquiry.

But for sure, fear played a part. For me, it's especially poignant in the natives' testimonies. Of course they would say there are no sacred mountains. Of course they haven't met a group of five Khanti (a "rival" tribe to the Mansi) who are unfriendly towards Russians. That must be a rumour. The fear of being scapegoated must have been very real.

The following users thanked this post: marieuk, tenne

January 25, 2023, 02:09:35 PM
Reply #5

GlennM

What is to fear? This is a history of a report about dead people. It was not a trial. The deceased were honorably buried. Nobody was made an example of. No State secrets were compromised.  The deceased were loyal Soviets. I believe the byword was," Don't ask too many questions", or in American parlance KISS ( keep it simple stupid). Truth is simple.Conspiracies are not.

January 25, 2023, 03:02:20 PM
Reply #6

tenne

What is to fear? This is a history of a report about dead people. It was not a trial. The deceased were honorably buried. Nobody was made an example of. No State secrets were compromised.  The deceased were loyal Soviets. I believe the byword was," Don't ask too many questions", or in American parlance KISS ( keep it simple stupid). Truth is simple.Conspiracies are not.

How do you know that no state secrets were compromised? do you have access to some materials we don't?

January 25, 2023, 04:38:21 PM
Reply #7

GlennM

How do you know that no state secrets were compromised? do you have access to some materials we don't?

I know because there was no delivery system.

January 25, 2023, 07:29:04 PM
Reply #8

tenne

I know because there was no delivery system.

so you know for a fact that no state secrets were compromised. I'm impressed. I can't say with any certainty that I know any of what Canada's secret service has done, forget back in the soviet union. Can't argue with your statements then because you know for sure and I admit I can only guess at most of it, other than they left alive and came back dead

January 25, 2023, 08:31:22 PM
Reply #9

GlennM

It's the advantage of having the book of right answere.

Relax my friend, nobody is getting hung over this.