March 28, 2024, 08:13:15 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Big Bad Wolves the culprit for flight from the tent?  (Read 6488 times)

July 31, 2019, 09:32:10 AM
Read 6488 times

Ches the Checker

There are wolves in the Urals, but no animal tracks were found in the vicinity. However, wolf howls are well known for travelling great distances (e.g.several km) If howling in unison it can sound like there are more than there really are - (Maskerovka!)

The camp was located at a mountain pass - this can act like a wind tunnel carrying sound FURTHER DOWNWIND- so any wolves on the prowl at night looking for food can be a quite a way away (hence no tracks) and yet sound frighteningly close and in numbers without actually being that close or even knowing there are humans there because the wolves are UPWIND and cannot smell the CAMP. Personally, if I was woken up at 2am by the sound of wolves seemingly near my tent and I had no weapons of note to hand, flight would be an impulse which would seem to be a common sense thing to do!!!

July 31, 2019, 09:43:17 AM
Reply #1

Marchesk

Given the hikers previous experience with stampeding wild horses and chasing off a bear, I don't think they're going to panic from wolf howling. Leaving the tent the way they did for the woods below is suicidal. It also puts you out in the open to be hunted. At least in the tent you can huddle together and fend off any animal trying to gain entry.

The only animal I can think of is the infamous honey badger. Maybe a band of radioactive badgers chased them out?

July 31, 2019, 10:35:27 AM
Reply #2

WAB

There are wolves in the Urals, but no animal tracks were found in the vicinity. However, wolf howls are well known for travelling great distances (e.g.several km) If howling in unison it can sound like there are more than there really are - (Maskerovka!)

The camp was located at a mountain pass - this can act like a wind tunnel carrying sound FURTHER DOWNWIND- so any wolves on the prowl at night looking for food can be a quite a way away (hence no tracks) and yet sound frighteningly close and in numbers without actually being that close or even knowing there are humans there because the wolves are UPWIND and cannot smell the CAMP. Personally, if I was woken up at 2am by the sound of wolves seemingly near my tent and I had no weapons of note to hand, flight would be an impulse which would seem to be a common sense thing to do!!!

It is very interesting theory. I am congratulate you, you have told very interesting and real theory. It is much better, than about what speak much: the Yeti, gangsters, and other animals. 
However here not all so is well clear, as is direct on place if it is good know those conditions.
I can object the following:
1.Wolves do not leave wood zone, especially it operates in bad weather ( wind, blizzard, and very low temperature.
2.In their such conditions howl cannot be heard so far. The wind blew from the West towards the East. From the nearest perennials (there they still can leave) from West side to tent approximately 2,5…3 km (or 1,5 … 2 miles). Thus perennials from the West are at height about 600 m (metrs) н. at. m. Tent has been established at height of 900 m (or ~ 2750 ft). And in an interval there is mountain (ridge) in height bit more than 1000 m (more than 3000 ft).
3.Howl wolves in conditions which are calculated on that time it would be very strongly masked we howl wind of different force and tone of sounds. As though they could distinguish one sound from another? They did not have on the screen of the computer an inscription: “It is wolves howl on small distance”.  grin1
4.It is necessary estimate correctly measure of danger and correlate it to actions. For example, if you fly by the plane at the big height and to you began be heard, what the engine operate incorrectly, you would not began jump out at once from the plane?  grin1
But if estimate your original thinking and very plausible theory you have very well thought up.
Thanks.

July 31, 2019, 10:37:57 AM
Reply #3

Ches the Checker

Mmmm, you have made some good points there!!

July 31, 2019, 01:15:28 PM
Reply #4

WAB

Mmmm, you have made some good points there!!

I very much tried …  grin1
It turns out so that I well know that district and the nature …  grin1
So it has turned out casually …  lol2

July 31, 2019, 03:44:46 PM
Reply #5

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
They didnt even eat the ham and rusks!!   shock1
All theories are flawed....... Get Behind Me Satan !!!

August 03, 2019, 10:54:38 AM
Reply #6

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient

Well if I was woken up at 2am by howling Wolves I wouldnt leave the safety of the TENT. In those weather conditions and not properly dressed or equipped its certain DEATH.
DB

August 05, 2019, 12:49:54 AM
Reply #7

lucid-nonsense

Well if I was woken up at 2am by howling Wolves I wouldnt leave the safety of the TENT. In those weather conditions and not properly dressed or equipped its certain DEATH.

Yeah exactly. I have been camping. I have heard wolf calls. Never felt like slashing out of my tent to go running out in the dark -- where the wolf is!

Think about it. Put yourself in their shoes. No matter how scared would you ever tear up your tent to go out running in your underwear. If anything you'd hug your knees and try not to smell tasty. Maybe point a knife at the entrance to impress the others or something?

October 16, 2019, 08:48:57 AM
Reply #8

Per Inge Oestmoen

Think about it. Put yourself in their shoes. No matter how scared would you ever tear up your tent to go out running in your underwear. If anything you'd hug your knees and try not to smell tasty. Maybe point a knife at the entrance to impress the others or something?

Of course these nine experienced hikers and mountaineers would never leave their tent in underwear and without mittens and winter boots unless very bad "wolves" forced them. And as the saying goes: "Homo homini lupus," or in plain English "Man is a wolf to Man."

The attacking "wolves" were extremely cruel and merciless, and they were two-legged.

November 06, 2019, 11:53:54 AM
Reply #9

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient

Of course these nine experienced hikers and mountaineers would never leave their tent in underwear and without mittens and winter boots unless very bad "wolves" forced them. And as the saying goes: "Homo homini lupus," or in plain English "Man is a wolf to Man."

The attacking "wolves" were extremely cruel and merciless, and they were two-legged.

2 legged apes or ape like creature or creatures  ! ?
DB