March 28, 2024, 04:21:49 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Krivonischenko letter to Dyatlov December 27, 1958  (Read 6363 times)

February 08, 2020, 09:51:57 AM
Read 6363 times

Teddy

Administrator

Hello everyone!

Happy New Year, hiking friends!
Let me wish you
Camping in faraway mountains
Ascending summits in the wild.

Let your backpacks be light,
weather always fine,
winter not too cold,
and summer to be mild.

The dirt not to bother you,
The sugar not to get wet,
When the river is boiling
And you go overboard.

Pants not to shred into tatters,
So you can patch them and go,
After drying your jacket at night
To have left more than a sleeve.

Your shoes to be good
Not a year, but dozens of years,
Wish your to leave your tracks
all over the map of Russia.

I’m going on a hike from the 22nd if temperatures below 30 degrees and will last no longer than 5-10 days, that is, there will remain about 10 days to finish my work, after which I go on vacation, and without finishing it the administration doesn't let me go. In temperatures below 30 and strong wind, whatever needs to be done outside is canceled, same as at 40 degrees without wind. Kolya Thibault probably knows about this. We haven't worked for two days, how long will this go on depends on the temperatures.

I still have questions about the equipment - what of the public equipment I need to take, and what can I leave. Also interested in the situation in Sverdlovsk with camera films, I do not have a single one. Kolka Popov wrote about our expedition. He knows. Now I will write again. If he has at least the slightest opportunity - he, of course, will join us. I am in high spirits and good shape, I will be in Sverdlovsk between January 10 and 20. I will keep in touch through UPI sports club. I will go to the institute right after I arrive.

That's all.

I wonder how does the group come along, who stays, who doesn't. I hope I can go with you, and if I don’t (which won't happen) you will get a telegram till the 20th. Now about the money. When, where, to whom and how much to send? I’ll bring a bill of health with me. December 29-30 we have a medical board (physical education), and I’ll get it from there. That, in fact, is all I can say. In all honesty, I missed my camp life very much and I dream of an expedition as a great blessing. I have my own skis.

Greeting to all hikers.

December 27, 1958

P. S. In preparing the trip, do not forget to take into account the mandolin (for the weight), since I already play a little, and probably there will be N. Popov
(ed. note - Nikolay Popov is on the header photo playing the mandolin; the girl is Lida Grigorieva, not from Dyatlov group)

G. Krivonischenko

ed. note - Krivonischenko always signed G. for Georgiy. Yuri is a nickname used by his friends.