Factual Information > Events before the incident

Team Dyatlov's division of labor (esp. watch duty)?

<< < (3/4) > >>

sarapuk:
On the alleged night of the Incident the Stove was not set up for use, so that rules out a reason for having one or two night Watch Keepers.

RMK:

--- Quote from: Manti on November 27, 2020, 09:34:20 AM ---I assume that you are wondering about watch duties to explain why some were better dressed than the others.

--- End quote ---
That's part of it.  More broadly, I'm trying to understand the Dyatlov party's "standard operating procedure" under normal circumstances to better understand what may have happened during the Incident.

--- Quote from: Manti on November 27, 2020, 09:34:20 AM ---However, to me it seems like the group must have left the tent before settling in for the night:

* I have read somewhere that the stove was not assembled. I cannot imagine they would want to go to sleep without heating that night. So this means it wasn't assembled yet
* I have also read that crumbles were found in the tent, so they could have been eating their dinner when something interrupted them. Also an onion was found in Zolotaryonv's trouser pocket. I think that points to being interrupted while cutting or eating onion and putting it in your pocket, otherwise you wouldn't carry it around there unless it's some sort of superstitious thing
--- End quote ---
I agree that they were probably interrupted while preparing or eating their dinner (although, if they were victims of foul play, then their assailants could have "staged" the state of the tent once the hikers were done for).  However, I do not think they were going to use their stove that night.  As I understand, they had to pitch their tent in the "low profile" configuration, because they were exposed to the wind, and the stove cannot be deployed in that configuration.  See, they can only pitch the tent in the "high profile" configuration when they're surrounded by trees that block the wind, which was the case on all nights in the tent prior to the evening of February 1st.

--- Quote from: sarapuk on November 27, 2020, 11:59:33 AM ---On the alleged night of the Incident the Stove was not set up for use, so that rules out a reason for having one or two night Watch Keepers.

--- End quote ---
Yes, I agree.

Manti:
It's hard to imagine they wanted to sleep without a source of heat.

The temperature would be at best a few degrees above what it was outside, even under blankets. And apparently they didn't use sleeping bags?

Sunrise would be around 9am, I don't think they wanted to spend 15 hours in -15C or lower (in fact much lower at night, but they might not have been aware of that).
The body produces much less heat while stationary/asleep.

Anyway, the temperature within the tent was comparable to a freezer. It amounts to suicide going to sleep there, no? twitch7

WAB:

--- Quote from: Naufragia on November 25, 2020, 04:07:50 AM ---From the notes of the journalist Grigoriev:

"In the tent usually the two sleeping at the two ends do not undress [because it is cold]. And the middle und rest undress. There are no attendants at night. If someone has to be on duty, then the next day he will be tired and everyone will have to fall behind."

Grigoriev seems to be recording the account of Yuri Yarovoy, a journalist present at the searcher, at this point in his notes - see https://dyatlovpass.com/grigoriev-2.
--- End quote ---

Most likely, this is not Yuri Yarovoy's story, it was told by those who participated in the search when he lived in the tent. At that time, Yarovyi had very little experience of such actions and assessments. Because he did not have enough practice.
What is written by Grigoriev should be understood in this way:
- this fragment concerns only overnight stays in forestless zone. In the forest the practice of duty officers is quite different.
- These two (rather someone alone, for two there is no full work) have to do what needs to be done outside the tent, so that the rest could rest normally. I don't write "sleep" because at that time in such conditions, it was rather passive waiting for the night with rare opportunities to take nap. It is difficult, but sometimes it was done on purpose to get the benefit of traveling along the route.
- Grigoriev couldn't evaluate it the way he should because he didn't have such practice either. He is typical city resident, but it is necessary to assess the travelers who make extreme routes.

--- Quote from: Naufragia on November 25, 2020, 04:07:50 AM ---I also have not found anything in the primary source documents on the main site attesting to the strength of Dubinina's commitment to Communism, just references on this forum and elsewhere on the web to secondary sources which appear to be quoting people who knew her.

--- End quote ---

You will not be able find it. Because it is bad myth, created either because people do not understand it at all, or for the purpose of political propaganda. It is necessary know and understand well everything that was related to the youth of that time, so that you can say something truthful.
In the largest number of student youth then in events such as travel, at least something used from politics. They could make jokes about something on this subject (as in their handwritten sheet) or write something about the party's congress on paper in order to let their comrades out of work at the right time. But that was the end of it. They had many other natural hobbies to pursue politics. All this I say because I saw everything in the real life of that time, not because I read somewhere in unreliable source.

sarapuk:

--- Quote from: Manti on November 29, 2020, 03:14:32 AM ---It's hard to imagine they wanted to sleep without a source of heat.

The temperature would be at best a few degrees above what it was outside, even under blankets. And apparently they didn't use sleeping bags?

Sunrise would be around 9am, I don't think they wanted to spend 15 hours in -15C or lower (in fact much lower at night, but they might not have been aware of that).
The body produces much less heat while stationary/asleep.

Anyway, the temperature within the tent was comparable to a freezer. It amounts to suicide going to sleep there, no? twitch7

--- End quote ---

Well bodies huddled together do generate warmth. We only have to look at the early expeditions to The North and South Poles.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version