Factual Information > Diaries and letters

Lyudmila Dubinina's Journal

<< < (3/4) > >>

UJ:
Hello -

On the main website, where this diary is translated, is there an extra page?  Photo 13, attached here.  It looks like it would be the first page of a journal because of the left-hand page it is attached to (or the last page, opened upside-down from the back).  I don't know anything about Russian, but I can tell that the final translated page ends with the crossed out word, as shown in Photo 12.

Is Photo 13 just out of order from Lyudmila's diary, or is it from a different diary altogether?

Thanks

sarapuk:

--- Quote from: UJ on February 13, 2019, 10:26:27 AM ---Hello -

On the main website, where this diary is translated, is there an extra page?  Photo 13, attached here.  It looks like it would be the first page of a journal because of the left-hand page it is attached to (or the last page, opened upside-down from the back).  I don't know anything about Russian, but I can tell that the final translated page ends with the crossed out word, as shown in Photo 12.

Is Photo 13 just out of order from Lyudmila's diary, or is it from a different diary altogether?

Thanks

--- End quote ---

Well it looks like that photo 13 belongs to another booklet. The booklets are similar to the school booklets still in use today. Also it maybe a different writing implement.  And is it the same hand writing  !  ? 

UJ:
To me, the handwriting looks similar, but I’m not an expert.  All the other booklets we have pics of on here, the first page is accounted for.  So, my guess is somebody wrote on the last page with the booklet upside-down, or it’s one of the transcribed journals, or maybe it’s not even related.  I’m working on cleaning up the pic, and I can show it to a neighbor or try to read/translate it myself, but no promises on speed there...

marieuk:
If it had been written in English originally, I would take it to mean that there were only two women there and it wasn't referring to Lyuda and Zina.  To say there are no women and then to say there are two doesn't really make sense, so maybe it hasn't translated very well?

Ziljoe:

--- Quote from: Charles on June 09, 2022, 10:12:49 AM ---Thank you, Marieuk

--- Quote from: marieuk on June 08, 2022, 07:41:43 PM ---To say there are no women and then to say there are two doesn't really make sense, so maybe it hasn't translated very well?
--- End quote ---

Yes, I could understand "there are no women except two", but "there are no women at all, except two"... seems a strange wording and raises a doubt about the translation.

--- End quote ---

I agree ith marieuk. The translations could have different meanings. I took photos of some of the typed diaries and got slightly different translations when I tried to translate. It might be useful to see them redone. It is interesting to look at the diaries and I do appreciate your efforts to look at them Charles. I read your posts with interest although I might not initially agree , I am open to anything that shines new light or a different perspective on things.

Please continue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version