Factual Information > Diaries and letters

Group Journal

<< < (3/6) > >>

WinterLeia:
When I look at the group journal, it suggests to me they were taking turns. Everyone just wrote one entry except for Tibo, and considering his first entry was one line it doesn’t require too much imagination to think that maybe the group told him he needed to do another entry and put something more substantial in it this time. In addition, it would explain his comment about “witless writing”. If that is the case, then Zolortaryov could have been the one that wrote the first entry for 1/30, the one that begins with it stating that the entry was written on the go. I think there’s a picture for 1/30 that shows Zolortaryov and Zina writing in diaries while stopping for a rest or to study the Mansi signs. Of course, Zina would be writing in her own diary. Zolortaryov could be writing in the group diary, however, and the entry does specifically mention Mansi signs, which seems to have captivated everyone’s attention in that series of photographs.

Oddly, January 30 is the only day that has two entries. The second entry seems to have been written just as they were ready to go to sleep that night. If my theory is correct, this would either be a second entry by Zolortaryov, and why would he add a second entry with the same date? Or it could be Slobodin since he was the only one who hadn’t written an entry in the group diary except Dyatlov who puts an entry in the next day. Did Slobodin or whoever it was just not realize that there was already an entry there for that day?

GlennM:
It is clear to me that the group was wearing down. Conditions were worse than expected and as fatigue set in, it brought out the worst in temperament. When in a good mood, they watched romantic movies, had discussions about love, which sounds a bit repressed, because they couldn't do anything about it. I recall the Chinese idiogram for the word "trouble" is two women under one roof.  Bickering and unrest in the tent according to log entries. Each subsequent day, more tired from lack of proper rest and fatigue from exertion. Then comes a spontaneous change in plans. They lose a day, make a cache and then attain the Lovsa. They remain at elevation, pitching a tent with the understanding they won't have a fire.   Although these were experienced hikers, I am reminded that for most of the expedition, they took rides. Only at the end did they walk and ski. I am reminded that though they were in a hiking club, they all actually had sedentary indoor jobs. Were they weekend warriors? Certainly they were no match for the well adapted Mansi who lived and worked there. None of this explains why they left the tent on 1079, either through the front flap, or a side slit poorly clothed for a 45 minute trek to the woods below, never to return. That part simply makes no sense whether the group was of the same mind or not. Cold makes you mean, then stupid. So does  hunger. So does pettyness.

GreenRain:

--- Quote from: Group diary ---heavy clouds
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Zina Kolmogorova handwritten diary ---There was sun in the morning
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Typewritten copy of Kolmogorova diary from case files ---today is a sunny cold day. The sun appears playful.
--- End quote ---
So the information about the weather on 30.01.1959 in group diary differs from the information in two other diaries.
It is strange.

GreenRain:

--- Quote from: Group diary, 30.01.1959 ---Mansi are people of the North. Small Khanti-Mansi nation located in Salehard with 8 thousand population. Very interesting and unique people that inhabit the North Polar Urals, close to the Tyumen region.
--- End quote ---
The style of these sentences is strange.
This text seems to be from encyclopedia or textbook, not from "written in the cold on the go" hiker's diary.

In other words, a hiker usually describes in his diary what he see and what he do during his trip.
Dyatlov group didn't visit Salehard and didn't calculate number of Mansi. Such information can only be extracted from books, but Dyatlov group had not any books in their trip.
This is strange for me.

Ziljoe:
--- Quote from: GreenRain on February 29, 2024, 12:14:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: Group diary, 30.01.1959 ---Mansi are people of the North. Small Khanti-Mansi nation located in Salehard with 8 thousand population. Very interesting and unique people that inhabit the North Polar Urals, close to the Tyumen region.
--- End quote ---
This text seems to be from encyclopedia or textbook, not from "written in the cold on the go" hiker's diary

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: GreenRain on February 29, 2024, 12:14:12 PM ---
--- End quote ---
This text seems to be from encyclopedia or textbook, not from "written in the cold on the go" hiker's diary

--- End quote ---

Yes, Mansi, Mansi, Mansi. This word comes up more and more in our conversation. Mansi people of the north. Low-nationality Khanty-Mansiysk district. with the center of Salekhard 8 thousand people. A very interesting and unique people inhabiting the Northern Polar Urals, closer to the Tyumen region. They have a written language, their own language, and, characteristically, forest notches and special icons are of particular interest.

Some of the confusion seems to be translation. Below are two translation's of what I think this is about the same event.  from the Dyatlov pass website.

This is a kind of forest story. These icons speak of spotted animals, sites, and various signs, and reading or unraveling them is of particular interest to both tourists and historians.

This is a story about the forest. Mansi signs tell about animals they saw, resting stops and other things. It is particularly interesting to solve its meaning for the hikers as well as historians.

Here we see Zina entering the diary .

4 frames later on the film we have the Mansi sign.

Then we have this drawing in Zinas diary of the Mansi sign. The sign and the note in the diary reference 1958. So could be the moment in time.

I think they are just short notes as they go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version