April 27, 2024, 04:27:38 PM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Metal detectors  (Read 2686 times)

January 01, 2024, 06:54:10 PM
Read 2686 times

Greenthumb714

Hi all. New here but have been reading about this mystery for many many years now.
What I cannot find are reports on if any of the areas were ever searched with metal detectors? 
Being in such an isolate place with not much human activity around, maybe by finding metal it might give some insight.
If the group was running from something maybe that something had weapons?
Again more questions than answers, I recently found out that one victim had an elongated bruise on her waist. Maybe a baton/a night stick or a rifle was used to strike the victim. Who would be carrying rifles or batons at that time?

Being on a rigorous expedition to achieve a university level course or accreditation makes me think they were experienced but could they have made a few mistakes that ultimately lead to their deaths?

January 01, 2024, 07:57:19 PM
Reply #1

Ziljoe

Hi all. New here but have been reading about this mystery for many many years now.
What I cannot find are reports on if any of the areas were ever searched with metal detectors? 
Being in such an isolate place with not much human activity around, maybe by finding metal it might give some insight.
If the group was running from something maybe that something had weapons?
Again more questions than answers, I recently found out that one victim had an elongated bruise on her waist. Maybe a baton/a night stick or a rifle was used to strike the victim. Who would be carrying rifles or batons at that time?

Being on a rigorous expedition to achieve a university level course or accreditation makes me think they were experienced but could they have made a few mistakes that ultimately lead to their deaths?

Hi Greenthumb .

From my memory, some sappers with metal detectors were brought in at the beginning of the search. 4 of the bodies were found on the the day after the discovery of the tent. Probes were requested following this. I can't remember exactly, but I think the metal detectors were found to be of little use.

The initial search was to find the missing hikers as in a "search and rescue ". It became apparent on the second day that it would not be a rescue unfortunately.

We must remember, at that moment in time there was none of the speculation we have now. We have all the data today but the searcher's were just looking for the hikers . The first 5 hikers deaths definitely looked like they left the tent and died to the cold conditions. It's not until the ravine 4 are found and the autopsy takes place that confusion comes over their injuries.

A number of researchers  have used metal detectors since. Items have been found.

This link gives some insight and information to bullet and rocket shells/casings found in later years. I believe that they were used for communication as to when items or bodies were found.

https://forum.dyatlovpass.com/index.php?topic=1322.msg21147#msg21147

January 02, 2024, 02:11:43 AM
Reply #2

Teddy

Administrator
I recently found out that one victim had an elongated bruise on her waist.

A branch of a fallen tree, plenty around.

The Russians swarm the area with metal detectors every year. I will personally go with one this year.
https://dyatlovpass.com/gallery-lmkk

January 02, 2024, 02:14:47 AM
Reply #3

Teddy

Administrator
The sappers with metal detectors did not find anything because the bodies were too deep under the snow and had nothing metal on them.

https://dyatlovpass.com/case-files-136-198#166

Received by Temnikov

1/3 1635

To Sulman

Searches can continue, but half of the group must be replaced by more fresh forces you need to relief Slobtsov and Mansi group. Sappers will be more useful with probes and not mine detectors since people under the snow do not have metal objects. We need 20 pcs 2.5 m probes todays forecast is that weather deterioration is expected on March 2-4. In case it doesn't it will only be to our advantage since violent blizzard is raging outside the tent and the weather gets worse by the hour. In addition, we inform you that at 4 pm on the way back from the search we found the supplies sent by air and took them down next time please send newspapers.

Maslennikov

The following users thanked this post: Ziljoe