Theories Discussion > General Discussion

DNA of Semyon

(1/5) > >>

tenne:
The more I read about the results of the 2nd DNA test, the more I wonder if it's like the official report (perhaps worded for political reason vs truthful reasons) or it's a translation issue

"A study of chromosomal (nuclear) DNA allows you to establish kinship only at a very close genetic distance: parents and children, siblings."

https://dyatlovpass.com/zolotaryov-exhumation-3?lid=1

Ancestry, 23andme etc are all based on nuclear DNA tests and have accurately identified niece, various 1st, 2nd and 3rd cousins, and aunts and uncles of mine who were known and correctly called them what they were by the various DNA companies. example, "1st cousin 966 cM | 14% shared DNA"  (correct) "2nd – 3rd Cousin 151 cM | 2% shared DNA" ( 3rd cousin)  "4th – 6th Cousin 34 cM | < 1% shared DNA1" (turned out to be 5th cousin)

So why he said this isn't clear to me..... Semyon could have been identified far more accurately by nuclear DNA, so it could be cost reasons why they didn't but it's not because it isn't accurate at that level of kinship

Ziljoe:
I think that Semyon was also identified through his skull and teeth.

tenne:
sorry, I should have been more specific. The grave was exhumed and the 1st DNA test ruled out a match between the body in the grave and Semyon's great great niece (I think that is the amount of greats) a 2nd test was at  Russian Forensic Medical Examination Center of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation (RC SME) and it found a mitochondrial DNA match.

Mitochondrial DNA is the DNA passed by the women of the line, it never changes and can be traced back many generations. So there are many many many conceivable matches to that DNA within the extended family. Its not a very accurate way of defining kinship as all it can prove is there was a common woman ancestor sometime in history. The other DNA is very exact and needs an extremely tiny amount to test.

Ziljoe:
Yes, but it is Semyon . I think the family are content ?

WinterLeia:
The impression I get from the crime shows I watch is that nuclear DNA degrades a lot faster than mitochondrial. So if the remains are old, they might not be able to get uncontaminated nuclear DNA. And mitochondrial DNA can serve just as well in many situations. For instance, it was mitochondrial DNA that they used to identify Empress of Russia Alexandra Feodorovna Romanova after they found the grave where the Bolsheviks had dumped them. She was the granddaughter of Queen Victoria of Britain and so was Prince Philip, Elizabeth II’s husband, through his maternal line. So they obtained mitochondrial DNA from him (he was still alive at the time) and compared it to the remains. It was a match. Since the remains were old, but clearly did not predate Queen Victoria, the Empress was the only person it could be, because how many other descendants of Queen Victoria of England do you think anyone would find in an unmarked grave in the Russian wilderness? Plus, none of Queen Victoria’s other descendants were missing.

Regarding Semyon’s DNA, it does not exclude the possibility it could be his brother, because if they had the same mother, and I believe they did, they would have the same mitochondrial DNA. It’s not a theory I support, but I thought I should mention it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version