Theories Discussion > General Discussion

how many people on here have cross country skied and tented in the winter

<< < (2/2)

Manti:
I have experience hiking - just walking, not ski hiking - while carrying a soviet made aluminium framed backpack. The frame sometimes touched my back as I walked and after 3 or 4 days, that spot was bleeding. Another person had to carry my backpack until we reached a small village where I bought new frameless one.

I also have experience being tasked with keeping a stove on all night by replenishing the firewood. Not in a tent, in a house. I couldn't... I fell asleep before dawn and this wasn't even on an exhausting hiking trip. 

And another maybe relevant experience: I've seen soviet military issue canvas tents. Probably a newer version than what the Dyatlov group had. They were completely useless. Good in the summer to dine under, it does block out the sun. But they are not properly waterproof which baffled me. Rain would leak in along the seams, and in some places the coating was so poor that water would just seep through the fabric. Some others in our group had US military issue tents. The difference is day and night. Not a single drop of water inside, whereas our stuff got completely soaked after one rainy night.

tenne:

--- Quote from: Manti on February 05, 2023, 02:22:30 AM ---I have experience hiking - just walking, not ski hiking - while carrying a soviet made aluminium framed backpack. The frame sometimes touched my back as I walked and after 3 or 4 days, that spot was bleeding. Another person had to carry my backpack until we reached a small village where I bought new frameless one.

I also have experience being tasked with keeping a stove on all night by replenishing the firewood. Not in a tent, in a house. I couldn't... I fell asleep before dawn and this wasn't even on an exhausting hiking trip. 

And another maybe relevant experience: I've seen soviet military issue canvas tents. Probably a newer version than what the Dyatlov group had. They were completely useless. Good in the summer to dine under, it does block out the sun. But they are not properly waterproof which baffled me. Rain would leak in along the seams, and in some places the coating was so poor that water would just seep through the fabric. Some others in our group had US military issue tents. The difference is day and night. Not a single drop of water inside, whereas our stuff got completely soaked after one rainy night.

--- End quote ---

thank you for responding. that would have made a very unpleasant trip. I've never camped under soviet tents or used the soviet back pack so thank you for giving a very practical insight.

Ehtnisba:
Ski instructor
Snowboard freerider
Camped with gas stove ( today the sleeping bags and all clothes are different), . But have know the weather hence in a forest has always been no winds and no more than -10

sarapuk:

--- Quote from: tenne on February 04, 2023, 11:41:16 AM ---I posted this before but as there are new people on the forum
how many people have gone cross country sking over night for at least one night?
how many people have had to set up a tent in the winter, repacked it and set it back up?
how many people have carried a backpack while cross country skiing?
How many people have had to light a fire at night in the freezing cold out in the bush?

--- End quote ---

It would be very difficult to replicate the exact conditions and all other manner of factors for the 1959 Dyatlov expedition. We are missing many things.

tenne:

--- Quote from: sarapuk on March 23, 2023, 02:43:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: tenne on February 04, 2023, 11:41:16 AM ---I posted this before but as there are new people on the forum
how many people have gone cross country sking over night for at least one night?
how many people have had to set up a tent in the winter, repacked it and set it back up?
how many people have carried a backpack while cross country skiing?
How many people have had to light a fire at night in the freezing cold out in the bush?

--- End quote ---

It would be very difficult to replicate the exact conditions and all other manner of factors for the 1959 Dyatlov expedition. We are missing many things.

--- End quote ---

I guess I didn't post the question properly, I am wondering about life in general, who has real life experience doing these things. Not trying to recreate what happened. Although in all honesty, I am shocked that no one has gone to the pass about the same time and tried to do what was supposed to be done with the equipment they had on them. That would be really interesting. Not standing on skis in deep snow using a pre made thick board to prove it could be done but standing in the deep snow using a cedar branch, try to light a fire with what is around the cedar and keep it going etc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version