Theories Discussion > General Discussion

Slobodin's Injuries

(1/15) > >>

MDGross:
The autopsy report points out these injuries to Slobodin:
• on left side of skull - fracture of the frontal bone
• hemorrhages in the temporalis muscles on both sides of the skull
• right eye bruise on upper eyelid with hemorrhage into underlying tissue
• bruises on the knuckles of both hands.

At first glance, these are injuries from a fight. He was knocked down and his head struck a rock causing a fracture. Or maybe a punch caused his head to strike a tree.
The temporalis muscles are just above the jaw, these muscles open and close your jaw. So being struck in both jaws could cause hemorrhaging.
He was also struck above the right eye, which caused a bruise and hemorrhaging.
The knuckles on every finger (except the thumb) were bruised on both hands. So Slobodin punched something.

In terms of just plain toughness, Rustem was the alpha male of the group. He was exceptionally fit (he had been a long-distance runner) and probably the most accomplished skier. And very courageous - in 1958 he and his father hiked through a mountainous area, where people of Russian descent would most likely be killed if the locals found them. IF the Dyatlov group was attacked by outsiders, Rustem would have been the first one to try and protect them.

GlennM:
Beaten about the head and face in a fist fight. Those injuries certainly are not consistent with a slab slip. They might suggest internal strife in the group or attack from without. Rustem and others were facing the tent when they fell. If it was a fight within the group, it would be about loyalty, sexual tension, hallucination or unnecessary risk. From without it was from aggressors or a fallen object.

If a slab slide did happen and everyone retreated to the woods, could a slip and fall on exposed rock cause the cause instead?

Manti:
I think the knuckles of the fingers can become bruised due to crawling on hardened snow on all fours, when one's feet become too frostbitten to be able to stand...

As for the head injuries, I've always thought the frontal bone fracture and temporalis muscle injuries could be from the same cause, but maybe this is not correct. Doesn't this muscle extend over the sides of the frontal bone?

MDGross:
Yes, hitting his head against a rock could explain the skull fracture. But eight bruised knuckles could only result from striking something. Not necessarily a person, maybe he was out of his head and punched a tree. in considering Rustem's personality and character, I just think that in the face of a threat from outsiders, he would not try to slip off in the dark. He would stand and fight.

GlennM:
I agree that Rustem would not quail before a threat.I think it is easy to attribute his hurts to an altercation, but when he fell in death, was he running to or from a battle?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version