Theories Discussion > General Discussion

Gravity Wind

(1/14) > >>

MDGross:
Several of the members were experienced in mountain hiking. More than likely Dyatlov knew on that last night that the angle of the slope would preclude the danger of an avalanche. I doubt, however, that any of the hikers had experience with or even heard of katabatic or gravity wind. Here's my scenario, inside the tent the group heard the sudden roar of nearly hurricane force wind. The tent was flapping wildly as if ready to set sail and fly off. They cut the tent open and rushed outside and scooped snow as fast as they could onto the top of the side of the tent facing the wind. The wind was ferocious and snow blowing every where. They decided to move down from the completely exposed slope to the shelter of the trees. They walked at a normal pace (what else could they do in such a wind) holding on to the person in front of them. They were pelted by blowing ice which accounts for the many scratches on each hiker's face. When they reached the trees, two hikers already had severe frostbite. A fire was built in a futile attempt to keep them alive. Four of the hikers decided to dig out a snow bunker in the small ravine down from the trees. Someone walked back to their two dead comrades and removed what clothing they could for extra warmth. But they too died one by one of hypothermia. One of the last men alive removed the coat and hat from the deceased woman and put them on. Over the following three plus months snow continued to weigh down on their bodies. The pressure finally compressed the chests of two of them. Another hiker had his skull compressed. Meanwhile the other three hikers, including Dyatlov, struggled to return to the tent to gather shoes, coats and gloves for themselves and their colleagues. They had no chance in the wind and cold.

Star man:
It’s unlikely.  The tent was only about 300 metres from the summit.  This  doesn’t allow for the colder denser air to gain much energy.  This is a simplistic conservative estimation process.

E= V(Dc-Dw)g.h

E is energy J
V is volume of air displaced m3
Dc is density colder air
Dw is density warmer air
g is gravity acceleration m/s2
h is vertical height m

You can estimate changes in air density using ideal gas equation for given temperature differences.

Then equate energy for unit mass of cold air in terms of kinetic energy and you will get air velocity, but this would be the maximum possible as it does not account for resistive losses as the air flows down the slope which are likely to be significant.  I haven’t plugged any numbers in but off the top of my head I think the wind speed generated would be in the region of 30 m/s or less

Regards
Star man

Nigel Evans:
The autopsies of the ravine four showed that the rib cage injuries to Lyudmila and Semyon were the cause of death not acquired after death. They both demonstrated internal bleeding from the trauma, this proves that their hearts were still beating.

sarapuk:
It is highly likely that all of the Dyatlov Group knew about the sudden extreme winds etc that could develop in that area. And those crushing injuries most likely happened very quickly and not over a few weeks or months

MDGross:
The autopsies were so hastily and ineptly done that it's extremely difficult to know what evidence was found of internal bleeding. I'm not sure after three months of being frozen then days of decomposition that any conclusions can be trusted. Any physicians out in cyberspace who can respond?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version