Theories Discussion > General Discussion

Why didn't any of the group leave a message

(1/10) > >>

Ian Jones:
I am new to your site, but I have spent days reading everything there is, and I am still in the dark.  One thing that did occur to me was, why didn't any of the group leave a message, a goodbye note to their families, an explanation of what befell them?
They had paper and pen, I believe.
If I was in their position I would have wanted to tell my mother that I love her, and ask forgiveness.  Unless of course, I had brought it on myself in some way  (other than just being there)
I read your explanation of events, and it sounds the most likely to me.

Thanks for all of your efforts, this really is a great resource, even if I have managed to haunt myself.

Kind regards,

Ian Jones.  1959

Teddy:
There should be two factors in place when I believe you consider writing a note - you don't believe you will make it, and you have a prolonged time of agony where you don't have anything better to do.
We believe they flee the tent. Why would they carry paper and pen with them? It is true that Askinadzi recollects Zolotaryov holding a notebook and a pen. Nobody but Colonel Ortyukov has seen what was inside, and nobody has seen the pen and the notebook after that. It was dark. And seems that they had plenty of work to do, or to hide, to the very end. And it was dark, cold, fingers frozen. Maybe Zolotaryov tried if Askinadzi can be trusted. maybe Ortyukov hid what Zolotaryov wrote as part of the cover up. Who knows.

I have been in an avalanche, rockfall, car accident, mugging at a knife point, lost at night in winter in the mountain... not once I felt like I should leave a note. The only time I have heard people leaving messages are suicide notes, writing in your own blood when bleeding out, or airplane lost control and you have some time to kill before you crash.

In my opinion, this case is weird, but not leaving a note is not the weirdest aspect of it. After all they were not huddled in the tent under an avalanche waiting to slowly die in control of all their faculties.

This message was initially sent as PM and I asked Ian to post it in the general discussion for other members to comment as well.

Nigel Evans:
It's a sign of abrupt deaths. Incidentally you can't make notes in the dark. Maybe it was dawn.

cennetkusu:
Semyon was the most intelligent and mature in age. And I believe you wrote something. But the colonel and the Soviet government of that time concealed it as hiding some photographs and diaries. And so far it has been hidden. Others may not have thought of writing because of the horrors of the event. However, Semyon knew he would die while writing and taking photographs. And he thought that people would find themselves before the snow melted. But people were so clumsy that they couldn't find four bodies just 75 meters from the cedar tree in time !!! Of course, that's why he didn't get a chance to examine the bodies better. And the photos and text taken unfortunately became unusable !!!

Ian Jones:
Teddy.
A message doesn’t have to be an epistle.  If they had been the victims of some form of injustice, a one word clue would have sufficed, and could be written with sticks or stones.
I think that the events that led to their demise were probably banal in the context of a mixed group of young adults, competitiveness and sexual tension.
I know they are portrayed by themselves and Yuri Yudin, as the ‘Famous Five’, or ‘Swallows and Amazons’, but from my own experience at a similar age, and in similar social circumstances, relationships and people- dynamics are rarely simple.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version