Victims and Case Files > Aleksander Kolevatov

On A. Kolevatov's Death

<< < (3/3)

Per Inge Oestmoen:

--- Quote from: Loose}{Cannon on May 13, 2018, 10:39:13 AM ---
--- Quote ---deformed in the area of the thyroid cartilage."
--- End quote ---

This does not mean its an injury.

--- Quote ---We cannot possibly know whether or not this particular injury killed him.
--- End quote ---

But yet you insist that it is.

--- End quote ---

- If there was a damage to the laryngeal area with deformation, it is by definition an injury. By the way, none of the other corpses showed a similar damage to the throat area.

- I say that we cannot know whether or not that injury killed him. That is the reality.

Armide:
It is possible that the bodies were thrown into the ravine after the hikers were killed, yes. I just don't mention that sort of theory in this thread because we could fall into a whole other rabbit hole. I don't think it's impossible, I just find it unlikely. If the attackers did murder them somewhere and then tossed their corpses in the ravine, why? Dead people are unexpectedly heavily, and considering that most of the victims were tall and muscular, they would have only been more massive and more of a hassle to carry. It would just be so tiring to do.

Furthermore, if the murderers did not want it to look like a murder and they were willing to drag the corpses around, why not just get rid of them? Cut them up, spread the body parts, no one may ever hear from them. After all, thousands of hikers have gone missing as if they had vanished from the face of the Earth, such a scenario would not be so uncommon. Especially if the murders were politically motivated– why not just make them disappear? The USSR clearly had the power to do so. Why go through the hassle of moving them around? On top of that, I'm sure they could've thought of better ways to make the whole ordeal look like more of an accident.

As for Kolevatov's position in death, I am simply using Occam's razor to try and find the most logical solution. In this case, if two men are found embracing and pressed against each other whilst outside in the bitter cold, too scarcely dressed to move around and find shelter, one can assume that this would be a standard procedure in saving the other. The other theory that you have mentioned, however, is very plausible as well: that both of them knew they were going to die and that they sought comfort in one another, as its been seen before in other similar situations.

Other than that, I do agree with you that the nature of the injuries is very odd and specific, I can't explain by myself how Kolevatov would have sustained the injury to his head or the one on his neck.

Per Inge Oestmoen:

--- Quote from: Armide on May 13, 2018, 01:04:41 PM ---It is possible that the bodies were thrown into the ravine after the hikers were killed, yes. I just don't mention that sort of theory in this thread because we could fall into a whole other rabbit hole. I don't think it's impossible, I just find it unlikely. If the attackers did murder them somewhere and then tossed their corpses in the ravine, why? Dead people are unexpectedly heavily, and considering that most of the victims were tall and muscular, they would have only been more massive and more of a hassle to carry. It would just be so tiring to do.

Furthermore, if the murderers did not want it to look like a murder and they were willing to drag the corpses around, why not just get rid of them? Cut them up, spread the body parts, no one may ever hear from them. After all, thousands of hikers have gone missing as if they had vanished from the face of the Earth, such a scenario would not be so uncommon. Especially if the murders were politically motivated– why not just make them disappear? The USSR clearly had the power to do so. Why go through the hassle of moving them around? On top of that, I'm sure they could've thought of better ways to make the whole ordeal look like more of an accident.

As for Kolevatov's position in death, I am simply using Occam's razor to try and find the most logical solution. In this case, if two men are found embracing and pressed against each other whilst outside in the bitter cold, too scarcely dressed to move around and find shelter, one can assume that this would be a standard procedure in saving the other. The other theory that you have mentioned, however, is very plausible as well: that both of them knew they were going to die and that they sought comfort in one another, as its been seen before in other similar situations.

Other than that, I do agree with you that the nature of the injuries is very odd and specific, I can't explain by myself how Kolevatov would have sustained the injury to his head or the one on his neck.

--- End quote ---

Just to follow up the question of why the four last victims were found in the ravine:

We do not know for sure how it all happened, but if the killers intended to camouflage their act and make it seem like an accident it is thinkable that they judged that by placing them in the ravine together it would look more convincing than if the bodies had been spread out in the area - and particularly when these four last victims had serious injuries. Their deaths would seem less likely to have had a "natural" cause if the bodies had been spread. As it was now, superficially it looked like the four died after a fall in the ravine as a single lethal event that could be blamed for the violent deaths. If the attackers reasoned that way, subsequent discussion has vindicated their strategy.

The question of why the killers did not simply make the bodies disappear, for example by shooting them and just get rid of them: Here it is very possible that the murderers calculated that by leaving the corpses the way they did, it would be easier to convince the public that it had all been a mere series of accidents. If the nine hikers had disappeared without trace there would still have been no proof of murder, and there would have been much speculation. But it could have been more obvious to more people that the nine perished as a result of homicide, because people do not disappear unless something causes the disappearance. That "something" would certainly have been understood by many as human killers. The way it was done now, the bodies were found without definite proof of murder. There were no bullet wounds, for example. Without such definite proof the murderers managed to make it seem less obvious what actually happened.

Again and assuming that this scenario is what actually materialized, the killers chose what in fact was a brilliant strategy.

It also merits mention that criminal history is replete with examples of "accidents," "suicides," "heart attacks" and other "natural" deaths that were in actual fact intelligent murder. So it should not be taken for granted that it would have been a better solution for the murderers to just make the nine students disappear.

Teddy:

* Broken nose on the site is replaced with the whole shabang from the autopsy report
* The jacket is unzipped, this is what the word "расстегнутая" means

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version