December 07, 2022, 02:41:38 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Fish dryer  (Read 346 times)

June 14, 2022, 10:59:38 PM
Read 346 times

Charles

Hello to all,

does anybody know if this type of constructions is of Mansi origin ?

Thank you

Charles

June 15, 2022, 01:25:11 AM
Reply #1

Charles

I mean "exclusively" of Mansi or other native tribe origin ?

The Kanthy used this kind of dryer:

If it was a practice belonging only to the natives (and not to the Russians), then there was a Mansi family in District 41:

And if Mansi, reindeers and sleds too...

June 15, 2022, 09:18:39 AM
Reply #2

Ziljoe

Hi Charles,

It could be for drying deer meat too and maybe skins?

June 15, 2022, 01:48:17 PM
Reply #3

cib

Hello Charles. According to Vizhay native and Mansi expert Vladimir Androsov the center post and side rails are for drying hay, when summers are rainy.

Font: http://samlib.ru/p/piskarewa_m_l/mansymansy1.shtml

A greeting.

The following users thanked this post: Charles

June 15, 2022, 07:45:01 PM
Reply #4

Charles

Thank you very much, dear cib,

so "hay" means either Russian horses or Mansi reindeers. This Mansi lady was collectiong hay:

It was probably used as extra food for winter, as Mansi used reindeers mainly for transportation and pulling loads,  and needed them to be in good shape at the worst period of year:

And drying fish was secondary use according to your information.

June 16, 2022, 02:19:16 AM
Reply #5

cib

Nice to help, Charles. In Spain, the storage of hay (both grasses and legumes) is done with a wooden post and sometimes it is covered so that the hay does not lose its nutritional qualities. It receives various names according to the regions: Pallerios, Metak, Hacinas and in my case, Almial. My maternal grandfather, who was a veterinarian and rancher of wild cows, used to make them and when I was little, I helped his cowboys. I remember that we had to leave the horses a little farther away because the dust in suspension affected them and they began to sneeze.

Kind regards.

The following users thanked this post: Charles