March 28, 2024, 11:54:47 PM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Ref. Elk theory  (Read 2618 times)

May 21, 2020, 11:33:29 PM
Read 2618 times

hoosiergose

Regarding the theory of Elk attack-
There was speculation made on the Elk theory thread that what appears to be grass on Zina’s trousers could possibly be Elk hair. (See Autopsy photo)
I don’t think so.
After close examination I believe these are actually pine needles from the conifers that they used for bedding in the snow den or cave. They used the conifer boughs as a barrier from the cold snow covered ground in the make shift shelter.

May 22, 2020, 02:55:29 AM
Reply #1

PJ

But even if they found the elk hair on her trousers it could come on it from tree or bushes or snow, elks are walking in this area all years round so are leaving hairs too. Nothing strange about finding elk hair in the forest...

May 27, 2020, 10:23:33 PM
Reply #2

hoosiergose

But even if they found the elk hair on her trousers it could come on it from tree or bushes or snow, elks are walking in this area all years round so are leaving hairs too. Nothing strange about finding elk hair in the forest...

True - but I think the debris on Zina pants leg are most like pine needles from the cedar branches that they laid down as an insulator on the floor or the snow shelter. I am a hunter and have walked in areas where there were plentiful Elk & Deer and never gotten hair on my clothes like Zina had. It was pine needles simple as that.