March 28, 2024, 06:53:36 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Greetings from snowy Canada!  (Read 6502 times)

December 31, 2019, 01:40:16 AM
Read 6502 times

Zorah

Hello everyone,

I discovered this site 72 hours ago as part of a sleepless obsessive deep dive into the incident at the pass. My usual area of obsessive research is mountaineering in the high Himalaya, but enough reading about that and before long you start reading about deaths due to hypothermia....and suddenly Dyatlov Pass shows up in your searches. I am a registered nurse who loves to hike off into the backcountry, so I have a special interest in "stuff that can hurt you or kill you while you're wandering around in the woods and hills".  lol4

I am very grateful to all those who have contributed to this site. A special thank you to V. Borzenkov for his absolutely FANTASTIC maps. I was struggling with Google maps, trying to get a sense of the tragedy, when I came across his very excellent and informative cartography. I am curious if he has a theory of why the group left the tent? The most I have found so far is his ideas on events later on, in the ravine.

I am the kind of person who is skeptical of most things. I thought the incident at Dyatlov Pass would be one of those things that I dismissed once I did some research. But the more I find out, the more perplexed I feel. Some theories seem to fit, but only partially. My curiosity is getting bruised by running up against all these walls of incomplete information... bang1

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year.
 thanky1

December 31, 2019, 08:09:17 AM
Reply #1

Teddy

Administrator
Hi Zorah,
It seems to me that we are birds of a feather. You mentioned The Himalayas and obsession how things might hurt or kill you in the mountain. This is me. I will stop getting all chatty and get to your questions, but I will definitely get back to you since I need to run by someone with your expertise some ideas.

Borzenkov is a dear friend and invaluable source. Here is his theory, his words, I only translated. You can maybe discuss it on this board (not exactly the topic, but it's mentioned).

Happy New Year!

December 31, 2019, 12:31:30 PM
Reply #2

Zorah

Hey Teddy,

Wow. Your travelling/trekking photos are gorgeous. Especially Nanda Devi....she is as beautiful as all the stories say. And your accident....whoa. Hope that arm and chest are in good shape now!

I'm not sure about my "expertise"....I think there are far too many gaps in my l knowledge still, despite owning a textbook of altitude-related pathophysiology, several books about medicine in mountaineering, and 20 years in health care as a profession. However, I am more than happy to attempt to answer any questions  grin1

As regards Borzenkov, I did read his theories about events of the incident, but what I see begins near the ravine, with 3 of the group helping injured Tibo-----I didn't see his ideas of what could have made the group exit the tent in the first place (definitely a possibility that I just missed seeing it).
His maps are great. I am very  interested in cartography-----I bet you might appreciate my atlas of the Himalaya.   wink1

Thank you so much for a well-organized and comprehensive site; the amount of information (and original source information!) here is staggering! My hat is off to you.  thumb1

Zorah

December 31, 2019, 12:36:25 PM
Reply #3

Zorah

A little photographic intro of myself...taken at one of my favourite places, Whistling Pass in the Rocky Mountains.   

December 31, 2019, 06:51:25 PM
Reply #4

BottledBrunette

Nice to meet you, and have a Happy New Year!